• Show
Clear All

• Hold back and be civil, scared tourists caution craft vendor

Hold back and be civil, scared tourists caution craft vendors

Published: Wednesday | November 23, 2011 Comments 0

Webb

Garner

1 2 >
    //Define: ContentSlider("slider_ID", [autorotate_miliseconds], [custompaginatelinkstext], [customnextlinktext]) ContentSlider("slider1", 15000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 10000) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", 3000, linktextarray, "Foward") //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", linktextarray) //OR ContentSlider("slider1", "", "", "Foward")
    Carl Gilchrist, Gleaner Writer OCHO RIOS, ST Ann:

Tourist HARASSMENT has been a sore point affecting the tourism sector and continues to impact the industry negatively. In fact, surveys have shown it to be the main problem affecting the industry.

Perhaps the main factor preventing the cessation of this practice is that perpetrators do not see their actions as harassment.

One form of harassment is pressuring guests to buy or do things they do not want.

Last weekend, The Gleaner spoke with two visitors to the island who were among a group that spent a week's vacation in Ocho Rios. The two - Todd Webb and Mike Garner from Idaho in the United States of America - were only too happy to share their views as they believe this could help ease harassment.

Webb, who is on his third visit to Jamaica, made some comparisons between his first trip some 20 years ago and today, and his experiences at the world-renowned attraction, Dunn's River Falls.

"Approximately 20 years ago, I came on a cruise ship and we did the Dunn's River Falls. At that time, they didn't have the high-pressure (craft) shop at the top of the falls, and then eight years ago we came again and it was there, and it's worse now," Webb said.

Scared
    "But what I noticed yesterday when we went, what we didn't see the time before, everybody that came up to the top of those falls they got through there as quickly as they could and they not even stopped at the shops."

Questioned as to the reason, Webb declared: "They're scared. It's scary. And not just scary, it's people trying to pressure you to buy things that you don't want. I mean, there's a lot of good stuff, there are good souvenirs, but it's that pressure that the very aggressive people put on you to buy; put things in your hand and try to make you take it; then they hold their hand out and say 'Don't disrespect me'. They want you to shake their hand so they can put something in, you know."

Webb said such an approach only serves to drive away potential customers.

"It's sad because if they would just hold back and be civil, there would be a lot of money spent in those places. That's all people want, they just want people to be friendly, not to pressure them. Everywhere we go here people are friendly, everybody, the hotel staff is great, but the last thing we want is to be pressured into buying stuff. We come here with money to spend, we want to go home with something."

Garner, who was visiting Jamaica for the first time, found the experience disturbing.

"Don't pressure me. I won't spend a penny if you do. I won't buy from somebody that pushes me and that's sad because, as Todd said, that's money we would have spent but we're not going to now. And that's probably the only thing in Jamaica that I don't like, everything else has been fantastic!"

rural@gleanerjm.com
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Dem jus a fight gainst poor people...dem doh waan black people touch dem...

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
      Dem jus a fight gainst poor people...dem doh waan black people touch dem...

Bricky - you are a RIOT
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

It's a tough fight changing the mindset of people. I remember staying in Ochi just a few years ago and I, a born and bred Yardie who look and talk the same way, too was harrassed by the vendors. It is the single-most disturbing part of a vacation. The peddlers and hustlers stood outside the resort gates and pounced once you stepped outside. What they can't understand is that a visitor will spend more money without the pressure.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          It's a tough fight changing the mindset of people.
          This seems to work wonders:

Comment

You have to stop wearing the long white socks, short pants and slippers...get a vest...a tight pants and pointed shoes shoes if yu want to blend in....

Comment

you get better treatment at Cornation market, trust me.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What resort? Just say AI. I can tell you that it wasn't like that before. The harrasment argument was once a corner stone to justify AIs.

It's really more complex than presented. Let the PR game continue.

Comment

Explain the complexities...can't wait to hear the justification for harassment...vestiges of slavery? self hate? brown man fault?

Comment

Yuh getting ahead of yourself. Save your self pity arguments for another poster Bricky.

Explain the reason for the JTB to ask private citizens to take in tourists in their homes as all hotels, guest houses e.tc were booked. Thanks.

Comment

Lawd jesas...what does this have to do with harassment Jawge? Did the tourists steal items from these homes and the homeowners are upset and take revenge by harassing them?

Comment

Nice but put more thought into it. Trust me the answer will jump out at you

Comment

Ay dios mio...Jawge please spit it out mi nuh have time a waste...

Comment

the tourist is right on.

Comment

Working...
                            X