• Show
Clear All

• Andrew Holness son not doing well in school

reason for HOME SCHOOLING ................he was at the back of the class

on nation wide now @ http://www.telegens.com/nationwideradiojm/

LETTER OF THE DAY - Minister Holness, Don't Serve Us What Yo

LETTER OF THE DAY - Minister Holness, Don't Serve Us What You Won't Eat

THE EDITOR, Sir:

As I read Outlook magazine in The Sunday Gleaner, I was most happy to see a feature on the prime minister's wife - 'Juliet Holness: Jamaica is safe in Andrew's hands'. However, not long into the article, my delight turned into distaste as I realised that the children of our prime minister and minister of education were being schooled at home, and were not participating in the general education system.

Mrs Holness explained that they wanted an "individualised, learning-focused environment" for their kids which, when combined with visits to other places, would provide them with a "more well-rounded experience". Now, if it were any other set of parents who had taken that decision, it would have been glossed over and attributed to personal decision and taste. However, when the minister of education decides that the education system is not good enough for his kids, it is a slap in the face.

There are several reasons which I am sure persons will come to the fore with, such as security. However, this was not the reason cited by Mrs Holness. And if this is the case, are they then saying that the very Safe Schools Programme overseen by Minister Holness' ministry isn't safe after all?

Second, so many of his predecessors, even during some of Jamaica's most turbulent political eras, sent their children to schools - primary or preparatory - therefore, why shouldn't he, as the country's minister of education?

I ask Minister Holness, would you eat at a restaurant where the chef refuses to eat? Why then should I trust my child to a system you lead when you believe it is not good enough for your own children: that your children will be provided with a "more well-rounded" education outside the system you oversee?

Show faith in our schools, teachers

Just out of respect for the system, out of solidarity with the people, out of a simple show of faith in the personnel you instruct and the policies you have implemented, you should endeavour to find a school in the education system which can fulfil your children's needs.

When you decide that out of the myriad of primary schools, preparatory and special education schools you govern, none are worthy to educate your child or children, I question your commitment to the education system and I wonder if you are the right man to be my prime minister.

J. JOHNSON

Disappointed Parent

jj_johnson876@yahoo.com

Comment

Exhibit A for the critics....
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

both a dem?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Next thing people going to demand interview from the pickney them.

Comment

Now I wonder what the critics have to say.

As I said been a parent comes before been Minister of Education, been PM or MP.

Each parent have to make their own decision and it is never easy. I know for one I moved my kids 3 daycares when I came to GA for one reason or another. There are many reasons why someone might make that decision other than been hypocritical.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

..and fe dem grades get published inna Gleaner.

We spend way too much time a focus pon trivialities. Judge the man on his performance in the MoE.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

you can imagine what dem woulda say if him fail him grade 4 test??? LOL
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

fact is, it sends a certain message. that is indisputable.

not sure it deserves much more chatter than that simple acknowledgement

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

SkengD .... He said he went to a PTA meeting and a parent was complaining that her child was struggling and is now in the back of the class. He wasn't talking about his child at that point.
                    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      both a dem?
                      Di man say he is paying for the elder child so they might as well have the other one benefit from it as well. Reporter SkengD choose not to tell unuh that the kids will be going back to pubklic school.

What unuh muss worry bout is why Portia nuh waan debate.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Bricky had some points in the other threads but killed it with the Obama and Joshua arguments.

Obama and Joshua are at a certain income level; it would be silly not to expect them to get the finest for their kids (from the get go). It's as is some one works and have above average income but because they are in public swevice they shouldn't buy a nice house, car or some of the finer things around today.

I'm forced to agree with exile and co. In the sense that PM Holness erred. Why? His kids were already in the public school system, to pull them now is to signal that there is something wrong and he is not satisfied. If his kids were being home schooled from start or in an elite private school then I would have no arguments.

It also shows that the present education system needs reform as his (PM Holness) own kids cannot benefit from it. Like it or not ; education is the key to Ja's future.

Comment

If his kids were being home schooled from start or in an elite private school then I would have no arguments
                          Thats a silly and probably also a dishonest statement. If he did that you would say he never gave the JA school system a chance with his children or something like that.

As to why Manley gets a pass on this but Holness doesn't, I wont even try to understand your logic there.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You would understand the logic, if you read my reasons on Joshua and Obama.

Comment

I did.

Manley supposedly had more money and put them in elite schools from the start.

Holness committed the crime of (supposedly) having less money and also put them in the school system for a while before deciding to home school.

Comment

Working...
                              X