RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaicas' best music is from the past....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaicas' best music is from the past....

X, thanks much for the Skatalites submission (a few threads ago). Hmmmm...that was a not so popular classic. It was brilliant!!

You don't hear bands with trombones playing lead anymore. The last time I saw that ...was the group ASWAD in concert at Manhattan Center NY some in the late 1990's.

Jamaica does not have anymore Sunny Bradshaw, Third World, Zap Pow, Inner Circle....or any bands of that type anymore.

I seldom listen to contemporary reggae...it's all recycled stuff.

Thanks for the tonic X.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Anytime Sir , SKA is something special that we had , how they composed it and delivered it , Tommy, Don & Roland shame on me for leaving out the rest like Sterling & Knibb , but that piece nimble foot ska, the opening by tommy , Taking it away by Don and Finishing it by Roland...smoooothhhhh ! .....my laaaawdd !

Dem come fi kill people , I wonder if it was more of a competition in how they delivered , I can imagine one trying to out do the other and that bass line ?..aaaaahhhhhh !...I dare anyone to remake that track...Impossible.

Dem try but dem fall short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0tCVgQL4h4

The original !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkHfh9uPakg
    Last edited by Sir X; November 21, 2011, 01:16 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

still have good bands. you just don't hear them. Third world and Chalice still around, Lyod Parkes, and the new Dubtronics crew along with a few others.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thanks, HL

Good post, HL . Like you, I enjoyed X’s recent Skatalites post (the “Coffee and Cigarettes” soundtrack).

In fact, I honestly cannot recall a music link that X has posted that I did not enjoy or, at the very least, find musically interesting! I just didn’t feel like saying so to him, as debates and arguments are often much, much more enjoyable (lol)!

The sad reality, though, is that Jamaican bands not only no longer have “trombones playing lead”; they no longer have anything of note playing anything of note!! Today’s stuff is being given to us by fat-@ssed producers who double as engineers (and band leaders and arrangers in their fantasy-land minds) and so determine the sound and touch of every instrument we hear on today’s music, despite their inability to recognize a Bb major from a G-minor. (And it gets even worse when we realize that there are significantly fewer Jamaican bands around now, when compared with the 1970s and the 1980s.)

Trust me on this: Even if X and I continue to argue on this site for years to come, I will still enjoy his YouTube and other music posts, because at least he has the ability to recognize good music!

How many of us here can also recognize music of quality?

Comment

bwoy ... mi ongle know what sound appealing to me .... das all ... g-note g-string is all the same to m .... well no not exactly. i think i know a g-string when i see one ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            How many of us here can also recognize music of quality?
            Isn't this a very subjective matter? Really?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You can say that about Music in general. Who you have in R&B, or even rock that can really create music as 20 years ago?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No Mosiah. If Historian says it, that is how it goes.

Comment

Raging Fyah is a nice little band
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-pN...eature=related

So is C-sharp.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzu7O8we_A

Comment

Imagine what Mozart would think about ska!

I was playing the piano before I went to high school. So, I think I understand a thing or two about B-flat and G-spot. I remember trying to compose chunes back then too, without much success.

But I struggle with how to define or measure "good music", even while telling Brickie that his stuff is crap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

okay then. next topic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

TOP 10 MUSICIANS FROM JAMAICA

1.Bob Marley
                        2.Toots & The Maytals
                        3.Lee Scratch Perry
                        4.The Upsetters
                        5.Harry Belafonte
                        6.King Tubby
                        7.Peter Tosh
                        8.The Ethiopians
                        9.The Gladiators
                        10.Burning Spear
                        Bob Marley
                        Bob Marley (February 6, 1945 – May 11, 1981), born Nesta Robert Marley which was later to be changed by passport officials to Robert Nesta Marley, was a Jamaican singer-songwriter, guitarist, and activist. He was the most widely known writer and performer of reggae, and more specifically roots reggae. He is famous for popularising the genre outside of Jamaica and the Caribbean. Much of his music dealt with the struggles of the spiritually wealthy rasta and/or spiritually powerful Jah Rastafari.
                        The Ozone Depletion
                        Comfortable Baby Bean Bag

Comment

jimmy cliff over harry belafonte

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You know seh that is the first thing i thought when i saw the list.

Comment

Joke list...no Drummond, no Skatalites? Where is X when you need him? May have to separate solo artist from bands and groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X