RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recycling of Politicans, or is it 3 card monte?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycling of Politicans, or is it 3 card monte?

Spencer, Waite, Hayles being eyed by JLP?

Published: Tuesday November 8, 2011 | 6:16 pm with audio | 3 Comments

There is heightened speculation this afternoon that the embattled [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]St [COLOR=blue !important]Elizabeth[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] North East MP Kern Spencer, his probable successor Basil Waite and Ian Hayles the MP for Hanover Western are the three People’s National Party Members being eyed by the Jamaica Labour Party.

On Sunday the incoming JLP Leader, Prime Minister Andrew Holness indicated that more PNP members had expressed an interest in switching to the JLP.

However, the PNP secretariat is describing as mere rumours, claims by the Prime Minister that more PNP members have expressed an interest in joining the JLP.

According to PNP deputy general secretary, Julian Robinson there is nothing to suggest that there is any truth to Mr Holness’ comment.

This afternoon Kern Spencer told our news centre that he had been approached locally by JLP members but not by the party hierarchy.

Mr Spencer is now before the court on corruption charges in relation to the Cuban light bulb scandal.

But he still maintains the support of the St. Elizabeth North East constituency.

This afternoon The Gleaner/Power 106 News contacted Ian Hayles, who said the approaches by the JLP have been as recent as Sunday.

Mr Hayles is now before the court over his dual citizenship issue.

A well-placed JLP source said Basil Waite, whose candidacy for north [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]east [COLOR=blue !important]St[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Elizabeth, is yet to be ratified by the PNP, has also been the target of JLP advances.

Last week former PNP MP Sharon Hay Webster crossed the floor in Parliament.

Mrs Hay Webster switched almost four months after taking her seat in Parliament as an independent member having resigned as a member of the People’s National Party on June 28 over the party’s handling of her dual citizenship matter.

editorial@gleanerjm.com

Listen to Audio clip
    Kern Spencer, outgoing St Elizabeth North East MP speaking with Damion Mitchell of The Gleaner/Power 106 News.

Hayles says JLP leaders trying to recruit him

Published: Wednesday | November 9, 2011 5 Comments

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporte

1 2 >
    BY Daraine Luton, enior Staff Reporter

West Hanover Member of Parliament Ian Hayles is claiming that persons within the leadership of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) have been trying to get him to switch political allegiance.
    "The approaches have been as recent as Sunday," Hayles, a former Labourite, told The Gleaner.
    A well-placed JLP source said Hayles and Basil Waite, whose candidacy for North East [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]St [COLOR=blue !important]Elizabeth[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] is yet to be ratified by the People's National Party (PNP), have been the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]target[/COLOR][/COLOR] of advances from the governing [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]party[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Up to press time, The Gleaner could not contact Aundré Franklin, general secretary of the JLP, for comment. Similarly, attempts to reach Waite up to press time were unsuccessful.
    In the meantime, Hayles said the JLP was in search of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]talent[/COLOR][/COLOR] while at the same time using recruitment from the PNP as a public relations [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]exercise[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    "They are trying to create a facade that they are more attractive than the PNP," Hayles told The Gleaner yesterday.
    But Daryl Vaz, a member of the JLP, said he did not buy Hayles' story.
    "I think Ian has it the wrong way. The Labour party is filled with strong candidates and there is no shortage of personnel," Vaz said.
    Comrades lining up
    On Sunday Prime Minister Andrew Holness, the JLP leader-in-waiting, told Labourites at a constituency meeting in South Trelawny that more PNP members were lining up to join his party.
    Sharon Hay-Webster, who resigned from the PNP in June, joined the JLP last week saying Holness' promise of a better politics was attractive.
    Hayles, who served as personal assistant to former JLP leader Edward Seaga alongside Holness and David Panton, declined to name the persons in the JLP who have been attempting to contact him.
    He told The Gleaner that he constantly gives the same response when the JLP comes calling.
    "I am happy where I am. I feel comfortable in the People's National Party. They took me in and gave me an opportunity to run on their ticket in 2007, knowing that I was coming from the Labour party. They took a chance with me and I am on a life-long journey with them," Hayles said.
    PNP insiders say there are jitters that Hayles could switch back to the JLP to join his friend, Holness. It was Holness who had introduced Hayles to Seaga before he broke away from the JLP in 2006.
    However, the West Hanover MP says there is no chance of him singing 'Shower, Labourites', a refrain of the JLP; not even with his friend as prime minister.
    "Andrew and I are good friends but where our politics meet is where we separate," he said.
    Added Hayles: "When I left the Labour party I had 16 green shirts in my closet and I gave them away. I now have 23 orange shirts in my closet and I plan on keeping them all to serve me for a lifetime in the PNP."
    Dragged to court
    Hayles won West Hanover by 173 votes over the JLP's Donavan Hamilton in 2007. He has since been dragged to court over allegations that he was not eligible to be elected to the House by virtue of him being a US citizen at the time of his nomination.
    Hayles has denied the claims saying he commenced the process of renouncing his US citizenship before Nomination Day, 2007.
    The PNP's Ralston Anson had won the seat by 1,765 votes in 2002 and Hayles has promised to restore and surpass that margin in the next general election.
    "The JLP is in trouble and they know it. The people of this country have made up their minds to get rid of them whenever the elections are called," Hayles said.
    daraine.luton@gleanerjm.com

Comment

Working...
    X