'I'm still chairman' - Al Miller defends position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I'm still chairman' - Al Miller defends position

'I'm still chairman' - Al Miller defends position after run-in at INSPORTS officers' meeting
    Published: Tuesday | November 8, 2011 1 Comment
    MillerAndré Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

The Gleaner understands that a sports officers' meeting at the Institute of Sports (INSPORTS) was forced to end prematurely yesterday, after current chairman, The Reverend Al Miller, walked in on the proceedings, only to be told he was not supposed to be there.

Miller, who, according to some media reports, is expected to be replaced as chairman of the state agency, was reportedly asked, upon arrival, by INSPORTS executive director Ian Andrews to declare the capacity in which he was present.

According to sources who were present at the meeting, the clergyman then responded that as far as he was concerned, he remained chairman of the board, underlining that he had not been officially notified of any changes by the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, and as a result was at the meeting to carry out his regular responsibilities.

Andrews, who we could not reach yesterday despite several calls to his cellphone, is said to have then raised his doubts about Miller's current position within INSPORTS, shortly before leaving along with a few of the sports officers who were in attendance.

When contacted, Miller declined to go into the details of the exchange between himself and Andrews, but confirmed that there was indeed an incident.

"I really do not want to say too much on the matter at this point, but I simply pointed out that as far as I am aware, I am still the chairman, and until I have been officially notified, I will serve in that capacity," Miller said.

"I have not been advised by the ministry that I am no longer the chairman, and whether or not there is an incoming chairman, it's all a process," Miller pointed out, from the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, where he was said to be in meetings.

No official appointment

Officials at the ministry confirmed that there has been no official appointment of a chairman of the board. Minister Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, who was pressed for time because of yesterday's Cabinet meeting, expressed shock at the incident.

Grange, who promised to investigate the matter, exclaimed: "That would have been out of order," in reference to the reports of Miller being barred from sitting in the meeting.

It has been reported in sections of the local media that Miller is to be replaced by Ian Forbes and that the appointment had been ratified last month.

Ministry officials, however, did not confirm the reports when the issue was revisited yesterday.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

so sad. why doesn't he just slink away from the public eye?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

slink? What is the adjective to describe what snakes and worms do, slither away?
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

are u questioning my usage of slink here?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Not at all sir...
          Che Guevara.

Comment

A-whoa! heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

suh him ah nuh di Chairman ?

dat is di problem wid you comrades.. no sense of duty...

well.. no sense at all fi dat mattah..

Comment

and dat's di trouble wid you labourites...don't know when it's time to pack your bags and go!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X