RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "I have a brain and I can think" falllacy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "I have a brain and I can think" falllacy.

I saw the header below re: Danville Walker's statement on his perceived candidacy as a representative for a political party (the JLP in this case) and was amazed that so many just repeated the argument without any dissection or attempt to discern exactly where he is coming from and what this type of thinking suggests. Self-justification is deeply engrained in us.

This rationalization is not unique to Danville but to many of us as:

"..our thinking is the result of our own perception, judgment, experience, and bias. Our brain distorts reality to increase our self-esteem through self-justification. People perceive themselves readily as the origins of good effects and reluctantly as the origins of ill effects. We present a one-sided argument to ourselves".

This is not a discussion to determine Walker's worth as representative but mainly to point out some of the mistakes we all make when we argue, discuss or make our points of views heard here. Some claim we really can't help ourselves since our brains are wired to WIN, not programmed to seek the TRUTH.

It's called the argumentative theory of reasoning, and it says that humans didn't learn to ask questions and offer answers in order to find universal truths. We did it as a way to gain authority over others. That's right -- they think that reason itself evolved to help us bully people into getting what we want. Here's how a proponent puts it:

"'Reasoning doesn't have this function of helping us to get better beliefs and make better decisions,' said Hugo Mercier, who is a co-author of the journal article, with Dan Sperber. 'It was a purely social phenomenon. It evolved to help us convince others and to be careful when others try to convince us.' Truth and accuracy were beside the point."

Bottomline, there are so many reasons for faulty reasoning and interpretation of ideas and positions that seriously trying to justify or argue our respectitive points is like chasing the wind...after a while we just get tired.

Read more: 5 Logical Fallacies That Make You Wrong More Than You Think | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_19468...#ixzz1d56fmTYJ

and

http://www.emotionalcompetency.com/distortions.htm

lol ! woiee !

Di man seh it nuh tek rocket science... if a man cyaan grow grass when it a rain.. how di hell wi fi chuss him to grow grass innah drought ??

Dah one deh wikid !

Comment

Zas! A wah dat yuh just say? Dumb it down fi mi nuh.

argumentative theory of reasoning,
      i count at least 11 syllables in those 4 words! Crise!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i'm sure there is some good scrap metal analogy he could make there too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think you are more than capable. As Jawge would say - stay on point.

Comment

a reading it fi di 3rd time. i will eventually get it. mi not as smart as yuh tink mi is!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

There seems to be a discrepancy in the reported numbers of containers the rporters say 97 and the candidate say 15. How do we reconcile that?

Comment

Okay, after the 5th reading, I think I understand what yuh talking bout. Indeed, I think you have described this forum entirely!

...humans didn't learn to ask questions and offer answers in order to find universal truths.
                ...after a while we just get tired.
                Frustrated, even!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Sabotage, of course! Some comrade is working in Customs and gave the Commish the wrong figures.

We need to find out who that is and fire his orange ass!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Exactly! You must have gone to a school (note I didn't say "good")
                    BTW mi see yu side struggle vs Lennon....finishing the problem - courtesy SportMAx.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not but I'm sure it will all be conveniently forgotten, ignored or shoved under that very large proverbial carpet.

Comment

Lennon a good side dem day yah! Yuh tink Glenmuir did always good? It's cyclical my friend! Munro soon rise again. (sigh)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You all have some decent players...there was a #10 shortish youth was a thorn in unnu side...still see too much extravagance in trapping, turning BEFORE passing...I'm for creativity but it seems evryone on the field wants to be creative no matter what part of the field.

Comment

...after a while we just get tired as we 'lie' to...

...ourselves...

...or...

...we get tired of others who prefer running away from facts labelling us as against them as facing some realities makes for tough going.

It is a funny thing about us you agree with what is said or genuine praize 10 x 1000 times but disagree or point out faults (falicies) 10 times and that gets you -
                            You are always against me!
                            ...or...
                            dat man deh nuh good

Could Daville Walker really have said -
                            deh res a unnuh nuh ave nuh brain as a hit mek unnuh back di PNP?
                            ...and then seriously expect the he-diat dem fi vote fi im?
                            Last edited by Karl; November 8, 2011, 01:50 AM.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

true. and dem tell mi yuh nuh know ball!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X