• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more politics, only policies

No more politics, only policies

JAMES MOSS-SOLOMON

Sunday, November 06, 2011

With the silly season fast approaching and gaining intensity, I will leave politics to the usual commentators whom seem to become excited by the latest in a series of contests that have done nothing for us. I will, over the next few weeks, look at things of importance that we need to clarify and debate, hopefully in some order of priority.

An essential acceptance of the complexities of a modern world is required in order to understand that simple systems have been replaced with more complex situations that require a new mindset in order to facilitate change, which is never usually an easy state to manage.

This is even more complex for governments as the stakeholders are divided and "management" takes on a face requiring popularity in the short term in order to keep their jobs, as this usually places them in the position of short-term gratification (rather like the window washers at an intersection).

An important point to remember as we start this journey of change-thinking is the area of improved technology. Modern communication and ease of travel have allowed people like ourselves to be able to market destinations that take a value-added approach to our natural resources without having to significantly protect and enhance them.

Greater access to these natural assets allows for a greater impact through increased use which may completely strain the ability of nature alone to repair that damage due to overuse. This progress therefore requires a level of policy and supervision that transcends the traditional policy framework that allows for decision-making to remain in seeming isolation to the integration required for effective sustainability.

Tourism is generally promoted as a mainstay of our economy and a hope for future growth, and in fact, based on arrivals alone, and without details of the profitability of the industry (most are privately held investments, and none listed on the Stock Exchange). So I applaud the efforts made to sustain the industry during the recessionary periods, but I cannot say anything in regard to the success required for future growth.

Alas, this is one of the most integrated industries in the world, and its success cannot be the application of a narrow vision as its complex nature requires a much broader concept of controls, management, and policy cohesion. In order to illustrate, let me show a few examples of overlap that we continue to debate but fail to act decisively on.

The people involved in the service industry need to be accommodated in convenient, accessible and clean communities as this industry runs 24/7 and requires incredible consistency compared to general standards in the rest of the country. Therefore, convenient, secure, and clean housing communities are essential for transportation to and from work, and are essential for ensuring that health problems are not transmitted from home to work and in the reverse.

The previous point requires housing, schools, roads, transportation, clean water, and health facilities for the employees in the industry in order for them to perform efficiently. So the focus of the industry needs to be built on the basic requirements of the local segments of the industry.
    Clean water is an essential part of the industry as a basic health need for both the local and visitor components of the industry.

Clean water is impacted by other components such as improper storage, treatment and delivery, as well as sewage and garbage disposal.

The ability to keep water resources clean is impacted by squatter communities in watershed areas and on river banks, and compromises the health aspects of residents and visitors alike.

The hotel sector is directly aligned with the local living conditions and the requirements do not vary from those of the residents.

The cruise shipping element is almost totally based on our ability to provide them with clean water for their floating cities. Without those resources being available we would lose their patronage as our local attractions leave much to be desired in satisfying the needs of large volumes of one-day-only traffic.

If all passengers disembarked, then they would probably be harassed and also be unable to reach many current attractions due to sheer numbers, and overusing existing facilities would cause further degradation.
    The marketing of sea and sand does not seem to be the only option available, but it is the easiest. It is the most complex, however, as its continuity requires clean water, coral reef protection, and regulated and enforced use of these non-renewable resources.

The maintenance of ports of entry by air and sea needs to be continually upgraded as the incoming carriers by sea and air have been expanded in size and numbers and this will continue to change. In my short lifetime I can remember the seaplane airport at Harbour Head. Look at us now!
    I often ask myself, "can tourism exist without clean water?" I was prompted to think about the deterioration of the quality of water in the Kingston Harbour, and the remarkable and sudden deterioration of the beaches of the Hellshire section, and for you who are blinded by ignorance this would include all beaches there such as Fort Clarence, etc. In fact, a strict health policy would require that these be closed to public bathing until remedied.

Following that trend, suppose that condition applied across the north coast, and swimming in our waters became dangerous, could our industry, in its present form, really exist? My answer is no, and in order to ensure the survival, I hope that we all recognise that the policy for sustainability requires an integrated control that goes far beyond the purview of our current silo ministries, and political reward systems as related to boards and corruption.

Whoever wins the next elections will be held accountable for the changes required for sustainable development, and needs to realise that the "handout godfather tactics" will no longer satisfy the needs of this nation. So all aspiring ministers please take heed that a reduction of ego and a willingness to share decision-making with regard to policy, will be a requirement that is non-negotiable.

There needs to be an awakening to a new day for Jamaica and those who are asleep need not apply for electoral approbation.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1cx0lOFNm
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

... that mi say tuh. All now mi cyaan hear no policy position from some ppl.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So yuh nuh hear bout di policy/mou with the Feds? I would like to start there if you don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        So yuh nuh hear bout di policy/mou with the Feds? I would like to start there if you don't mind.
        You and I live in a country where your rights are respected. The fact thst ppl whose rights are protected in another country can now applaud a man who signs an agreement that no one in his gov't nor the gov't that succeeded them was aware of just shows how much of a hypocrite you are.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yuh gwaan, executive orders have been signed into law that you don't know about. I see you endorse the barricades and machine guns that once existed in W. Kgn.

Where law and order exists the rights of criminals can't coexist lazie. I know that you are upset that the criminal network has been brought down but it had to happen. As you can see more skilled minds were ten steps ahead of you guys.

Have you ever watched the movie Limitless?

Comment

okay Jawge ....

Comment

Working...
            X