No announcement yet.

Classism in JLP Portia attack reprises GOP racial coding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yuh is one POWAFUL individual ... nuh yuh singlehandedly remove bruce from power?! too much power residing in one man iyah....too much!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

No Lazie. No one can deny that the words used to describe Portia have been anything but flattering, and are the vernacular used to describe people of Jamaica who are of a lower social standing, dark in complexion, vulgar or borish. The use of these descriptions of PSM is a thinly veiled attempt by some to disguise their inherent racist inclinations. Yes I did say racist in describing a Jamaican mindset. It is not a typo. Now lets look at the other side. Over the years, PSM has overtly demonstrated, by her words and her attitude towards others, including her own constituents, characteristics that tend to invite such descriptions, and I think she has been unrepentant, and continues to behave in that manner albeit with less intensity. This only gives license and cover to racists to express themselves without reservation or negative consequence. She has to accept some of the blame.

Comment

No question bout that.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
          No Lazie. No one can deny that the words used to describe Portia have been anything but flattering, and are the vernacular used to describe people of Jamaica who are of a lower social standing, dark in complexion, vulgar or borish. The use of these descriptions of PSM is a thinly veiled attempt by some to disguise their inherent racist inclinations. Yes I did say racist in describing a Jamaican mindset. It is not a typo. Now lets look at the other side. Over the years, PSM has overtly demonstrated, by her words and her attitude towards others, including her own constituents, characteristics that tend to invite such descriptions, and I think she has been unrepentant, and continues to behave in that manner albeit with less intensity. This only gives license and cover to racists to express themselves without reservation or negative consequence. She has to accept some of the blame.

Comment

Working...
          X