• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even di Newsletter agree wid wi!

EDITORIAL

Walker, Buchanan, Gordon-Webley: Let fair play be seen to be done
    Thursday, November 03, 2011

JAMAICANS who are able to remove the politically tribal scales from their eyes, would quickly welcome persons of the calibre of Mr Danville Walker offering themselves for public office.

It is extremely unfortunate that the prospect of Mr Walker seeking to enter representational politics has engendered the current brouhaha.

But just as well, because we might be able to learn something out of it that could help us to liberate ourselves from this confounded mental slavery in which we are so desperately trapped.

We have complained long and hard as a country about the paucity of effective, hard working public servants of integrity to serve as leaders. When we do find one, as in the case of Mr Walker, the commissioner of customs and former head of the Electoral Office of Jamaica, intelligent people would cheer. Except that any and everything in Jamaica is subject to our polarising party politics.

Having said that, however, we believe that there is a valid point that now that Mr Walker has made his decision official, he should resign from the position of commissioner of customs. Reports have suggested that he is on the way to doing that, as he prepares to run with the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP)

In the case of Mrs Joan Gordon-Webley, the executive director of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) and Ms Camille Buchanan, the director of Caymanas Tracks Limited (CTL), we expect no less.

In that respect, new Information Minister Arthur Williams Jr could do with a lesson in public relations. Even if the letter of the law does not require their resignation, the public perception is that politicians almost always use their position to feather their party's nests.

Mr Williams argues that there is no conflict of interest in Ms Buchanan and Mrs Gordon-Webley holding their government-paid jobs while contesting a seat for the ruling JLP.

But Jamaicans know very well the practice in which "Parson christen him pickney fus". What is there to stop either lady from using her considerable advantage in these entities to hire party faithfuls and channel contracts to supporters over those not known to support them?

We agree that this case is not dissimilar to the one facing the People's National Party's Mr Vando Palmer who started campaigning for a Manchester seat in 2007 while he was the high profile communicaton manager of the state-run National Works Agency. In fact, One could argue that Mr Palmer had an even more lowly position on the totem pole than Ms Buchanan and Mrs Gordon-Webley.

Mr Andrew Holness, the new prime minister has an excellent opportunity to signal the new politics he speaks of by taking a position that such public employees must resign once they start campaigning for a seat.

In the way we say justice must not only be done but be seen to be done, let fair play be seen to be done. More importantly, these are the kind of things we will have to do to restore faith and belief in the politics of our country.
    Allowing the status quo to prevail will only deepen the cynicism and cause Jamaicans to lose hope that a new day is dawning.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...#ixzz1cjHfGb82

BLACK LIVES MATTER

OK...let's hear the PM on this.

Comment

"Having said that, however, we believe that there is a valid point that now "that Mr Walker has made his decision official, he should resign from the position of commissioner of customs. Reports have suggested that he is on the way to doing that, as he prepares to run with the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP)"

unuun a real poppy show. Show me the conflict of interest from ANY credible organization as it concerns Walker.

TICK TICK TICK.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

... it is certainly the silly season.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yuh have ticks?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it a scratch mi. Mi can't wait too long -
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

dont see it either... trying to understand how it benefits him.

Comment

Flea powder works for ticks as well....
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

One thing I have learned in my 30-odd years (cough cough cough) is that ONE perfect man walked this earth...anything that happens in the dark MUST come to light.

Take the scrapped metal thing for example...The Customs department HAD to have known that more than two companies that generated their own scrap metal was exporting.

I know people who I call friends here in western Jamaica who did not own any companies that generated their own scrap who were still exporting even after both ministers declared they had locked down the industry.
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

thanks but mi still a wait fi the conflict of interest answer.

Can you, Mo or anyone on this forum who state that there is conflict of interest say how, and show me one credible publication or organization that show that until declaring his candidacy publicly there was a conflict of interest?

Thanks in advance. Tick Tick Tick.

Comment

Damn!!! Are you that dumb? Sorry if you cant see it then i cant help you, you corner dark fi true.

Or you think that Danville is a paragon of virtue, never told a lie and the minute he signs his resignation letter he flips a switch and becomes a JLP candidate.

psssttt, have a secret for you, nuh tell nobody else...a nuh suh it work my friend
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

not really interested in your secret. Not even Portia claim there was any conflict of interest as she clearly states that they should resign before they the election is called or before they start campaigning. Danville campaigning offically starts when he declares himself a candidate and not before.

It is simple if you considering to take a job it is not a conflict with your current job, the conflict may only come when you have the two jobs. Nobody can tell you to resign because you are thinking about a new job. If he was actively campaigning it could be a problem but not because newspaper or other entity leak that he has interest or is approached.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          not really interested in your secret. Not even Portia claim there was any conflict of interest as she clearly states that they should resign before they the election is called or before they start campaigning. Danville campaigning offically starts when he declares himself a candidate and not before.

It is simple if you considering to take a job it is not a conflict with your current job, the conflict may only come when you have the two jobs. Nobody can tell you to resign because you are thinking about a new job. If he was actively campaigning it could be a problem but not because newspaper or other entity leak that he has interest or is approached.
                          Not touching this save to say - there can be conflicts before taking the second job. You could be passing on trade or company secrets...or engaging in wooing the other company or promoting yourself as having vital information on your current company's operation that the intended company may wish to learn...

...it is naive to think - we all know you are not naive - that conflicts only can arise once Danville or whomever crosses officially to the 'other side'...or even ends up not joining the 'other side'.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Are you suggesting Danville was a agent of the JLP working for the Jamaican government? How unique is that? Where is the proof if that is even the case.

Comment

Working...
                            X