• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sushi vs patty

Sushi vs patty

Published: Wednesday | November 2, 2011 Comments 0

Din Duggan

BY Din Duggan

I haven't had sushi in a while. I think I'll visit East Japanese tonight. I can taste it already: a miso soup, two sushi rolls, some salmon sashimi, and a bottle of Asahi to wash it all down. That should set me back roughly $3,500.
    Actually, if I'm lucky, I won't be dining alone. Hopefully, my companion won't be as gluttonous as me. I'm guessing her company will cost me another $2,500. Add the fives; carry the one, if my math is correct that's $6,000. Add another $600 for tip. Wait, no, I'll be in good company - add another $1,200 for tip. That's $7,200. Not bad. Good sushi. Good company. Life is good.

Life isn't so good for Eric Reid. The 18-year-old is charged with breaking into the home of his ex-boss and stealing a sugar bun and two tomatoes. I know what you'll ask: Why didn't the delinquent get a job, instead of stealing people's hard-earned pastry and produce? Well, he was obviously hungry. And with the unemployment rate at 12 per cent, jobs aren't
    abundant these days. But enough about Eric, we have bigger problems.

The IMF recently unveiled a statistic that should shock us all: 43 per cent of Jamaicans currently live below the US$2.50-per-day poverty line. That's more than one million Jamaicans living on less than J$220 per day! I can't believe that - not with so many Range Rovers and BMWs parked in the Marketplace lot. Not with so many $40-million town homes being built around Kingston. Not with the Government of Jamaica estimating the poverty level to be a disturbingly high - but much more manageable - 17 per cent.

Massive income gap
    Whether we - and our Government - admit it or not, Jamaica faces tremendous structural difficulties. While some people regularly dine at fine establishments - spending thousands on tiny bits of raw fish wrapped in little clumps of rice - many scrounge to find the $50 for the tin of mackerel, $30 for the pound of flour, and $50 for the pound of rice needed to work up a half-decent meal.

While many lobby the Government to reduce auto import duties so that they can more economically purchase uneconomical vehicles, countless others try to find the several-hundred-dollar bus fare each day to reach jobs that pay several hundred dollars each day.

Income disparity, poverty and unemployment have now reached epidemic proportions. Income disparity, in particular, is especially frightful. According to Richard Wilkinson, professor emeritus of social epidemiology at the University of Nottingham, the type of income inequality that Jamaica faces - now the worst in the region - breeds widespread social dysfunction. From homicide rates to infant mortality, from life expectancy to the percentage of the population imprisoned, virtually every social indicator is negatively impacted by increased inequality.

Inequality - the disparities in where we stand relative to one another - is a more direct cause of crime and violence than is poverty. Jamaica is not the poorest country in the world. As measured by GDP, we are, in fact, an upper middle-income country. Yet our crime rate - despite recent reductions - has long been among the highest in the world, higher than many countries that are markedly poorer.

Consumerist orgy
    Inequality, Professor Wilkinson argues, leads to pervasive status insecurity - interminable worry about how we are seen and what our place is in society in relation to others. This promotes rampant consumerism and materialism as an outlet for social-status competition. We see it every day - an incessant focus in society on who has what. We hear it every day: "... Anywhere yu see mi at any given time, mind pon mi money and mi money pon mi mind, the shotta dem a pree the dollar sign ... ." When this constant status competition and avarice are left unchecked, the result is what we now have: persistent, acquisitive violence.

Young Eric broke into a home to steal food. He was hungry. Poverty causes that. Others break into homes to steal TVs, computers, and, in more than a few cases, innocent lives. Inequality causes that. If we don't find ways to reduce the widening disparities between each other - either through broad-based wealth creation or through progressive redistribution - then our efforts at conquering crime and disorder will prove futile and our society will fall to ruin.

That $7,200 meal doesn't seem quite so appealing, anymore. I think I'll be eating two Mother's fish patties and a coco bread, instead. I pray my date will understand.

Din Duggan is an attorney working as a consultant with a global legal search firm. Email him at columns@gleanerjm.com or dinduggan@gmail.com or view his past columns at facebook.com/dinduggan and twitter.com/YoungDuggan.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Very nice composition!

Jamaica does not have to be this way.

BOTH Jamaican leadership designed it--that the Island stay impoverished. Any attempt to change...is met with ignorant clammor and violence.

I would estimate that 70% of Jamaica's problem is self-inflicted.

By simply making changes that are within our control--will lead to prosperity...............>>>>.

Nice composition!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I must say the reponses are signifcantly better than our forum here which has been reduced to political rants, taunts and tattle:

Showing 8 comments

Sort by Popular now Best rating Newest first Oldest first Subscribe by email Subscribe by RSS
      • Craig 7 hours ago

Donate the difference between the Japanese meal and the Mothers' meal to people like Eric.

Flag
        5 people liked this. Like Reply Reply

• StopBigGovt 12 hours ago

Mr. Duggan,
        Very good article. Inequality is a beast and the most stress-free societies in the world are those where the majority of the population are more equal than not.

But what do we do about this inequality? Like you, many people find conspicuous consumption unappealing. However, you should have enjoyed your sushi date as your sacrifice has not helped any of the poor. In fact it has probably hurt them as if you had kept the date, your waiter would be $1200 better off.

What is more immoral than your dining on sushi is our government that spends hundreds of millions of borrowed money, not on the poor, but on roads (that we do not need) that serve to enrich their friends and supporters.

So enjoy your sushi and get strength to fight corruption and big government which is one of the major reasons for Jamaica's poverty and inequality.

Flag
        7 people liked this. Like Reply Reply

• Watcher 8 hours ago

Excellent article. Given the stated intent of our young PM Holness to be on the path of continuity, we must expect more of the same with the inequality in our society. I see the fire spreading...it's getting hotter and hot!

Flag
        3 people liked this. Like Reply Reply

• Glenn Smith 6 hours ago

Everything in Jamaica right now is... calling out for EFFICIENCY!!! Jamaica is tied up in CONSTRAINTS (which is causing higher expenditure in capital and growth) from the pothole to 400,000 unresolved court cases. Constraints are crippling the nation - DRIVE OUT these constraints by utilising TQM.

Flag
        1 person liked this. Like Reply Reply

• Glenn Smith 6 hours ago

Good job... again!

Flag
        1 person liked this. Like Reply Reply

• AshLee 3 hours ago

Lower the darn tax rate and give incentives for businesses and start-up businesses... Give credits to businesses that hire over a certain number of persons. These are some of the things the government can do to help elevate the people, especially those on the lower rungs.

BTW... Not to say that there truly isn't a great income disparity amongs Jamaicans, but i wonder how accurate these studies are...? Does Jamaica even keep good records? And how many "hussling" (off the books) people don't pay taxes and are therefore not recorded - Even some middle class one (let me tell ya!).

Flag
        Like Reply Reply

• Carlton Reynolds 3 hours ago

Again I say poor people are not poor because rich people are rich. Comparison between rich and poor misses the point. Inequality is inescapable, inequity is another matter. We often confuse the two. As one blogger pointed out, if you had had your sushi, you would have made a bigger contribution to the poor. Where as this inequality talk is popular, it does nothing to help except to foster resentment. Conspicuous spending can be harmful, and more people of means should exercise charity, and make the distinction between need and greed.
        Governments have got to stop governing for the poor,because that does not work..that only creates more poverty. Govern equitably and sensibly, get rid of corruption, reduce the size of government, create the right conditions, and stop fanning the disparities.

Flag
        Like Reply Reply

• wesmolanman 4 hours ago

..........too much foreign........not enough local........no good........like you said...cocobread and patty...or bammy and fried fish,,,cooked the Jamaican way....some local fruit and veggies....we'll live.....i guarrantee .

Flag
        Like Reply Reply

View the discussion thread. b

Comment

QUOTE:

"I must say the reponses are signifcantly better than our forum here which has been reduced to political rants, taunts and tattle":

Indeed. The political pundits on this forum avoided this one like the proverbial pox!

The political arm of this forum is a precise sample of what the broader reality is in Jamaica. ENTRENCHED, they use fancy terms, appear to be educated..... and fulla sheeet. (Wooops...very sorry. Just remember that i don't care about Jamaica anymore~~~sigh~~~)
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Eeeeehhhh, wooooeeee, what a way you throw yuh karn, demma cluck cluck inna dem Garrison, eeeeh eeeehh wooooeee MDDWL

Comment

Working...
          X