X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Downtown Kingston needs more suitable transport centre'

'Downtown Kingston needs more suitable transport centre'
    Friday, October 28, 2011

TRANSPORT Minister Mike Henry has promised that downtown Kingston will get a major transport centre that is more suitable for the urban development planned for the city as the current one is not properly placed.

"I would never have put the transport centre where I inherited it, and I am seeking now to see if I can integrate it with when the railway comes in," Henry said.

The Downtown Kingston Transport Centre which was opened earlier this year. (Observer file photo)

The transport minister was addressing participants at a two-day economic forum organised by Jamaica Chamber of Commerce and Digicel to examine issues surrounding the restoration of downtown Kingston as well at the Jamaica Conference Centre.

"The transport centre I want will have to almost be redesigned in terms of the issues we face," added Henry. Some of these issues, he said, include the high cost to erect pedestrian bridges as well as the safety issues associated with persons getting to and from the railway station.

Commuters and operators of public passenger vehicles had always raised concerns about the location of the Transport Centre on Water Lane, but Henry maintained that the "real transport centre" is the redevelopment of the railway after all the Railway Corporation lands are identified. "We have soccer fields on land where there are no long leases so there is a myriad of issues we have to work our way through," he said.

In the meantime, the minister who also has responsibility for road and works, complained that too much money was being spent overseas to hire professionals to develop some of the plans for major projects going forward.

"A lot of money being spent prior to implementation is being spent overseas because we are not developing enough architects, planners, designers and so all of this will probably be spent in New York or London rather than here in Jamaica to arrive at the plan," Henry said.

However, one of Jamaica's leading architect Clifton Yap, who also made a presentation at the economic forum, dismissed these claims. According to Yap, there are more than enough capabilities in Jamaica, especially in the area of architecture.

"There are many instances where it is our money (taxpayers) that is being invested into these projects and the money is given to the joint venture partners and they hire people from overseas and local professionals don't benefit," Yap said.

Henry, who also provided an update on the Highway 2000, said he is ready to take to Cabinet plans for the linkage of Spanish Town to Ewarton and Mount Rosser. He said Mount Rosser has four kilometres of land which cannot be built on as it requires approximately US$70 million to correct geo-technical issues. "I am in the process of seeking to get investment capital to put that to the Cabinet and hopefully to seek implementation before the end of the year," he said.

He said Mount Rosser is built in the middle and there is no connectivity from Spanish Town, which is where the traffic flow is needed to make it economically sustainable.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1c4fAjVKc

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
    "I would never have put the transport centre where I inherited it, and I am seeking now to see if I can integrate it with when the railway comes in," Henry said.
    sigh.

some of us really know what happened.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah.. anyting di PNP start cyaan good... like building a castle on Sand..

Comment

In the meantime, the minister who also has responsibility for road and works, complained that too much money was being spent overseas to hire professionals to develop some of the plans for major projects going forward.

"A lot of money being spent prior to implementation is being spent overseas because we are not developing enough architects, planners, designers and so all of this will probably be spent in New York or London rather than here in Jamaica to arrive at the plan," Henry said.

However, one of Jamaica's leading architect Clifton Yap, who also made a presentation at the economic forum, dismissed these claims. According to Yap, there are more than enough capabilities in Jamaica, especially in the area of architecture.

"There are many instances where it is our money (taxpayers) that is being invested into these projects and the money is given to the joint venture partners and they hire people from overseas and local professionals don't benefit," Yap said.
        sigh

So, what is the truth here? JLP MPs have proven themselves incapable of speaking the truth. I believe the yapper!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mo, it is the workings of the economic hitmen... jamaica doesn't have architects, pleaseeeee... these guys are getting money put in their accounts to make certain that these overseas companies get the contracts... technical expertise... like jamaica don't have people with technical expertise... then they sub out the jobs with our labor, pay a small fraction while they smile with the big loot like the pirates they are... i also believe the yapper...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            'Downtown Kingston needs more suitable transport centre'
            Friday, October 28, 2011

TRANSPORT Minister Mike Henry has promised that downtown Kingston will get a major transport centre that is more suitable for the urban development planned for the city as the current one is not properly placed.

The Downtown Kingston Transport Centre which was opened earlier this year. (Observer file photo)

The transport minister was addressing participants at a two-day economic forum organised by Jamaica Chamber of Commerce and Digicel to examine issues surrounding the restoration of downtown Kingston as well at the Jamaica Conference Centre.

"The transport centre I want will have to almost be redesigned in terms of the issues we face," added Henry. Some of these issues, he said, include the high cost to erect pedestrian bridges as well as the safety issues associated with persons getting to and from the railway station.

Commuters and operators of public passenger vehicles had always raised concerns about the location of the Transport Centre on Water Lane, but Henry maintained that the "real transport centre" is the redevelopment of the railway after all the Railway Corporation lands are identified. "We have soccer fields on land where there are no long leases so there is a myriad of issues we have to work our way through," he said.

Henry, who also provided an update on the Highway 2000, said he is ready to take to Cabinet plans for the linkage of Spanish Town to Ewarton and Mount Rosser. He said Mount Rosser has four kilometres of land which cannot be built on as it requires approximately US$70 million to correct geo-technical issues. "I am in the process of seeking to get investment capital to put that to the Cabinet and hopefully to seek implementation before the end of the year," he said.

He said Mount Rosser is built in the middle and there is no connectivity from Spanish Town, which is where the traffic flow is needed to make it economically sustainable.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1c4fAjVKc
            Don't you find it ludicrous for these politicians to always speak in the first person when they refer to how their ministry spends the people's money?

It's always I am going to do this ...I am doing that.

They all seem to have this egocentric stupidity when speaking about public funds

Big Mouths and Small Minds...and no.. it doesn't take one to know one
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Don't you find it ludicrous for these politicians to always speak in the first person when they refer to how their ministry spends the people's money?

It's always I am going to do this ...I am doing that.

They all seem to have this egocentric stupidity when speaking about public funds

Big Mouths and Small Minds...and no.. it doesn't take one to know one
              i had the same thought when i first read the minister's pronouncement... these politicians are not working for the jamaican people, they see themselves as kings and the people their serfs...
              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

The National Stadium included?

Comment

Bruce called himself the Chief Servant. Full of it like crab!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                    The National Stadium included?
                    Built by Labour

Destroyed by Termites
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I don't, please tell.

Comment

Working...
                      X