• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to realise our CXC passes are nothing special

Campion Student Cops Top CAPE Award
    Published: Thursday | October 27, 20110 Comments
    Nadisha Hunter, Staff Reporter

JONATHAN LYM, a past student of Campion College, is among the top students who will be awarded for outstanding performance in this year's Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE).

The ecstatic 19-year-old, who is currently pursuing a degree in chemical engineering at the University of Pennsylvania, attributed his success to hard work and the words of encouragement he received.

"I am delighted to have accomplished such a feat. I did not expect to be the recipient of such a marvellous award. I am elated that my hard work paid off," he said excitedly.

Lym thanked his family, teachers, classmates and God for helping him to obtain the top position.

He maintains Campion College tradition of dominating the award for the most outstanding candidate in tnformation and communication technology.

Lym achieved Grade 1 in 10 units - Caribbean studies, chemistry units one and two, communication studies, computer science units one and two, physics units one and two, and pure mathematics units one and two.

Clean sweep averted

A release issued by the Caribbean Examinations Council on Tuesday said Lym's achievement averts a clean sweep by candidates from Trinidad and Tobago in the examination.

He will be awarded at a ceremony scheduled for Thursday, December 1, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Trinidad and Tobago.

Two students from the island will also be awarded for visual arts.

For the second time in a row, a student from Seaforth High School is winning the award for most outstanding candidate in 2-dimensional art in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations.

Kemar Williams got the top award with the painting and mixed media expressive form that depicts the theme 'Spirit of the Caribbean'.

Jodessi Thompson of St George's College will also be recognised for outstanding performance in 3-dimensional art. Jodessi produced a piece of work in the sculpture and ceramics expressive form titled 'Decay'.

A student from Presentation College, San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago, is the winner of the Dennis Irvine Award, the prize for the most outstanding candidate overall in the CAPE, while students from Queen's College in Guyana have won four of the eight regional top awards for CSEC.

Queen's College in Guyana will receive the CSEC School of the Year award, a prize which the institution has won five times in the last 10 years.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

the fox and the grapes ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

We need fi realize sey nuh Jamaicans can neither read nor write.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

lost me there!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

hush... is a 'good school' ting..

Comment

Lol. Having worked with students from all over the world for many years, which include students from all over the Caribbean, I remain convinced the the Trinis in general are way better than us at Physics and Chemistry, and the Guyanese will clean our socks in maths. In English, and economics and business, the Barbadians are way ahead of us. In fact in the entire British Commonwealth, the Bajans are probably numero uno in English. This is just my personal observation onver 3 decades. Jamaica is playing catch-up in my opinion.

Comment

i hear you're a fox who did want some grapes. a true?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X