• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Lazy and Assassin miss this?

Not true, Clovis
    Monday, October 24, 2011

Tweet

Dear Editor
    It is permissible for a newspaper and its journalists/cartoonists to support a political party and to campaign openly for that party. We are aware that different people, based on their status and self-interest, can view the same phenomenon and form different impressions/opinions.

The cartoon of Thursday, October 20, 2011 have two drawings juxtaposed next to each other. The first depicting a change of government in 1989, with the outgoing prime minister handing over a very prosperous-looking environment, with a signpost saying "Growing Economy". The second depicts the outgoing prime minister in 2007 handing over a dilapidated place with a sign saying, "Record High Unemployment".
    While individuals and newspapers are free to form their own opinion, based on how they see the world and to propagate these opinions, they are not permitted to make up their own facts. Clovis might see 1989 as the end of a glorious period and 2007 as the end of a disastrous period. That is his opinion. When the signpost reading "Record High Unemployment" is hoisted, we move from the realm of opinion to measured facts. Clovis lied. Literary and journalistic licences do not allow lying.
    What are the facts? Based on data from the Statistical Institute of Jamaica, between 1972 and 1975 unemployment fell each year starting at 23.2 per cent and ending at 20.4 per cent. Unemployment then rose each year (with one exception) until it reached 27.8 per cent in 1981. Thereafter unemployment has fallen each year with the exception of 1992, 1995 and 1997 until it reached its lowest level ever, that is, 9.8 per cent in 2007. It has been rising ever since.
    Politicians and their surrogates must be held to account for lying. As we approach the next election, each time a lie is told, it should not be allowed to go unchallenged.
    Peter-John Gordon
    Department of Economics
    UWI, Mona
    Kingston 7
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

I saw the cartoon and wondered but didn't have the info....I never thought Clovis was ever viewed as as having independent thought.

Comment

Bullo work and overstaffing the public sector isn't real employment!
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        really?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
          really?
          Must be a comrade comprehension thing. Re-read what I said!
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I comprehend of course,

was just wondering where else dem ago get work

since the private sector not employing

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
              I comprehend of course,

was just wondering where else dem ago get work

since the private sector not employing
              ... now isn't this post much better? How productive is it to employ 3 ppl to do the job that 1 person is capable of doing? I guess based on your question we can see why the JUTC was overstaffed.

Comment

I agree with a smaller more efficient government and all........dont get me wrong

but I was just looking at it from the point of view............ families

but I guess the government have to make tough decisions ........with the risk of loosing potential voters.......

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                  So let's get your chatter straight... the low unemployment number...or rather the relatively high 2007 employment number reflected "bullo work" and an "overstaffing of the public sector"?

That's an interesting supposition of yours so let's deconstruct it to see if it makes sense. More info on your supposition is required to do this analysis..

... first please define "bullo work" and state what % of employment in 2007 constituted this cohort plus explain what categories they are assigned in the labour statistics...also how many bullo workers have lost their bullo jobs between 2007 and the present?

..second ... what was the level of "overstaffing" in 2007 and how many of these public sector workers lost their jobs since they were culled?

Since unemployment has risen by maybe 40% since 2007 please state what % of these newly unemployed is constituted by bullo workers and extraneous public sector employees?

Since as I believe you cannot answer these simple probes with any substance...you should quit your idle yapping and leave economic analysis to people who have a modicum of knowledge of the subject.

Silicon Valley Economists clearly excluded
                  Last edited by Don1; October 24, 2011, 06:34 PM.
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                    So let's get your chatter straight... the low unemployment number...or rather the relatively high 2007 employment number reflected "bullo work" and an "overstaffing of the public sector"?

That's an interesting supposition of yours so let's deconstruct it to see if it makes sense. More info on your supposition is required to do this analysis..

... first please define "bullo work" and state what % of employment in 2007 constituted this cohort plus explain what categories they are assigned in the labour statistics...also how many bullo workers have lost their bullo jobs between 2007 and the present?

..second ... what was the level of "overstaffing" in 2007 and how many of these public sector workers lost their jobs since they were culled?

Since unemployment has risen by maybe 40% since 2007 please state what % of these newly unemployed is constituted by bullo workers and extraneous public sector employees?

Since as I believe you cannot answer these simple probes with any substance...you should quit your idle yapping and leave economic analysis to people who have a modicum of knowledge of the subject.

Silicon Valley Economists clearly excluded
                    ... of course the good comrades gonna come out wid swords and shields. The other day I saw coming out of the FINSAC enquiry the amount of companies that went under due to your incompetent gov't high interest rate regime. Now I know you ppl keep far from logic ... but ... if all these companies went under ... that meant PPL lost their jobs. Where did those ppl get employed?

Prior to this gov't taking office various financial analysts have lamented about the overstaffing of the public service and having agencies duplicating tasks.

Comment

What exactly are you addressing?
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Skeng I really wish you would really learn how to use the forum properly? Send Mosiah gas money for the SUV so he can give you some tutorials nuh?
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Unfortunately for you, to be taken seriously...Numbers are required when you make such bold statements young fellow, not colourful anecdotes...gi wi di fax...your suppositions are quite suspect

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Context too.

Cash Plus and Olint world was not sustainable.

Sort of like Omar thinking he can go back to the Paris Club and Bear Stearns...both mash up.

All the likes of Italy and Spain cant get money now!

Comment

ok.. granted those are possible factors that could create an employment bubble...the matter needs to be studied by good economists

But as to gettin money...aks One Turd...im nuh seem to ave nuh problem... im raise bout US$5B in new debt inna di las few years...no?

Comment

Working...
                              X