Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PM wants end to garrison politics

Sunday, October 23, 2011

PRIME Minister Andrew Holness has called for a national stance against crime, corruption and injustice.

In calling for an end to garrison politics during his speech after being sworn in as prime minister this afternoon, he said Jamaica is crying out for new politics to emerge.

“It is time to end garrison politics,” he said. “This will not happen overnight and it should not happen by force. Both political parties have it in them to mutually agree to end the social construct of the garrison.”

He said politicians should start the process by getting the leaders to walk to these areas of exclusion.

“I am willing to walk with the leader of the opposition to Tower Hill, and I may just turn up in Whitfield Town…,” he said, stating that he will be writing to the leader of the opposition.

“It’s not only that the rest of Jamaica is shut out from these communities,” he said. “I’m concerned that the residents of these communities are locked off from the rest of Jamaica.

“The time has come to transcend the pettiness that has distracted us,” he added.

Hinting that a love for the poor was not enough to eliminate the problem of poverty in Jamaica, he said “I love the poor but hate poverty”, and said education is the way out of poverty.

“My parents invested in education,” he said. “Education is the greatest investment in breaking intergenerational poverty. I’m here today because of education.”

He encouraged all Jamaicans to make the sacrifice and invest in their children’s education.

Addressing issues from parenting to the need for artistes to take responsibility for their lyrics; from the need for a commitment to the environment to the concerns about children graduating illiterate; the new prime minister pleaded for all Jamaicans to make a contribution to the country.

In a speech also peppered with references to the government's achievements, he said Government was “making progress in fighting corruption; in modernising the police force and in crime fighting.

He said soon anti gang legislation to fight the threat of organised crime will be brought to Parliament, then listed other achievements like a stable dollar, and growth in agriculture and tourism.

He also extended an invitation to the opposition to "hold hands for the national good".

"Today I take responsibility for the direction of this country," he said, to loud cheers and the barking of vuvuzelas.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1beVftulS
    Last edited by Karl; October 23, 2011, 08:05 PM.

Heard that before.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

How can anyone take him seriously when he thinks Bruce did nothing wrong?! Sorry, I'm trying to be supportive, but those words about fighting crime ring so hollow. Come clean, Andy! Tell the country that what Bruce did was wrong and tell us who paid Manatt. Until you do so, stay far from talking about fighting crime.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh ye of little faith.

Comment

Maybe he will...wait till him go to office nuh....

Comment

I doubt it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Commit political suicide?

Time and place Mo....

Comment

yeah try positivity fi a little. Stop been negitive about everything JLP. Hope say the man will do what he says. The least we can do is give him a few days.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  yeah try positivity fi a little. Stop been negitive about everything JLP. Hope say the man will do what he says. The least we can do is give him a few days.

Yep...gi im at least 7 days fi re-make Jamaica

Well mek dat 6 Days...im cyan rest pon di 7th
                  TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Let's move on Mosiah, the truth is what you're asking will never happen and no leader in his right mine would do it,
                    I'm more interesting in the decisions he makes going forward, now that he is PM. I have to say I'm waiting with guarded optimisism. I listened to his speech last night and there was nothinge new about it. What he said is preety much the same thing I have been hearing over and over again. Will he make the toucgh decisions? I read an article today that talked about how he tries to shy away from confrontation and hides away from fromdealing with issues. He won't be afforded this luxury as Prime Minister.
                    So yes Mr Holness, we know the Recession is still lingering on, we know we have an IMF issue, we kow we have a crime problem, we know we have a garrison issue, we know we need to improve literacy, we know we need to cut bureacracy, we know we can't properly collect our taxes, we know the public secto wage bill is to big....We know all our issues..I'm ready to hear the solution and see actions taken to get us where we need to be

Comment

Don't start di garbage wid mi, Sass. I am definitely not negative about everyting JLP.

Give him a few days? The best time to get the country behind him is now, in his inauguration speech. Tell us that Bruce fvcked it up and he was wrong to give him his support then. Imagine what a precedent that would have set!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

same same, but different.

as they say over here!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yep

Comment

Bruce fvcked it up and Andy is gonna finish it off.
                            Really, what is this guys qualification to be PM?. I am puzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
                              Bruce fvcked it up and Andy is gonna finish it off.
                              Really, what is this guys qualification to be PM?. I am puzzled.
                              You ask a good question. Lets be consistent ... what is Portia's qualification to be PM? Secondly, what did Bruce fock up?
                              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                              X