No announcement yet.

Holness: same old wine in new wineskin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holness: same old wine in new wineskin?

Holness: same old wine in new wineskin?

Published: Saturday | October 22, 2011 26 Comments

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I would prefer to choose an old politician who is full of novel ideas over a young one who is so drenched right through with the wine of the old-style politics of divisiveness, lack of vision, corruption, and haughtiness that ours is so steeped in.
    My earliest disappointment with Mr Andrew Holness' proposed selection for ascension to the position of leader of the Jamaica Labour Party is his subsequent endorsement by Edward Seaga and Bruce Golding. For Mr Holness to be seen as new and really different, these endorsements would be a travesty of justice.
    We can recall that Mr Seaga was unceremoniously pushed out of office. Mr Seaga is one politician that we sometimes would prefer to forget - honestly. Not that we hate him, but he brings back bad memories, sadly.
    Now, we see that Bruce Golding has had to be demitting office prematurely too. These gentlemen, for Mr Holness' own sake, ought not to have been publicly endorsing him, because what this tells me is that they see in him traits that they are comfortable with. It, therefore, is indicative of the fact that Mr Holness might be younger but he may be just a new package of the same old wine in a new wineskin. I am NOT comfortable with that.
    For evidence on my concern I submit that Mr Holness' performance in Parliament is more that debating; it is combative at times (old-style politics). His stance, for many months, on the adviser/Teachers' Service Commission stand-off, is another old-style political tactic that has to be shelved if we are to be new, different and decent.
    LEROY BROWN

So both Bruce and Seaga who are mortal enemies both endorse Holness and that somehow is a negative?

To me that is a positive as it means he can unite enemies and so just maybe can unite a fractious Jamaica. The jury is still out of Holness, but this critique just does not hold much water.

Where in Jamaica did we ever see old politicians with novel ideas? Is this not wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      So both Bruce and Seaga who are mortal enemies both endorse Holness and that somehow is a negative?

To me that is a positive as it means he can unite enemies and so just maybe can unite a fractious Jamaica. The jury is still out of Holness, but this critique just does not hold much water.
      The Mr. Brown has one way of looking at it...not exactly a new way at looking at 'si yuh company, kno who yuh be'?

...and you have another!

Where in Jamaica did we ever see old politicians with novel ideas? Is this not wishful thinking?
      Wishful thinking?
      ...depends on whether or not it is worthwhile looking forward as opposed to looking backwards?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

And what's wrong with wishful thinking?! Is it so wrong to really wish for a PM with novel ideas? Is it that unlikely?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

And OLD politician with novel ideas?...read what I said carefully.

Nothing wrong with hope, but that is not the same thing.

Comment

His company seems to be all over the place and from all angles.

Portia ia Seaga's new best friend, but somehow that is not a negative aginst her?

Steeeuuups. Pick sense from nonsense!

Comment

she was already negative without his endorsement still

Comment

get yuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X