Bricktop - Up Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricktop - Up Here!

Sometimes threads become so cluttered that it adversely affects clarity as far as debates are concerned.
    Originally posted by Bricktop
    Remember TEMPO? Well it failed because small islanders were complaining that it was all dancehall and not enough soca being shown...they made the switch...and now they no longer exist...put that in your pipe and smoke it...hater...

Bricktop, I’m not surprised that your post here is inaccurate.

First of all, I have ALWAYS supported reggae! The Mavado-Bounty Killer-Vybz Kartel-type of dancehall -- in other words current digitally-based dancehall which is bereft of essential musical ingredients -- is what I have always criticized! Surely you must be aware of this by now!

Incidentally, since I’m on the subject, if we should try and pinpoint a turning point in dancehall, it would probably be, in my opinion (and this, mind you, is merely an opinion), that memorable night in 1985 at the massive clash between King Jammy’s and Black Scorpio’s sound systems. This was the night when King Jammy unleashed his secret weapon, Wayne Smith and his revolutionary recording, “Under Me Sleng Teng”!

That recording, done by Smith on (believe it or not) a simple, inexpensive Casio keyboard, heralded the digital age in Jamaican music and so signaled the death of live, creative bands.

But I have finished trying to explain to the forum my views on Jamaican music. These views are documented in the archives for those who care to peruse what I’ve consistently said here for the past three years (and, in fact, started to say from 2002 on the old forum).

Secondly, Tempo did NOT emphasize dancehall as much as it did old-school reggae! When Tempo started in the fall of 2005, it was primarily reggae of the 1980s and 1990s (for which music videos were available) that Tempo emphasized, although 1960s stuff like recordings by Millie Small occasionally surfaced. So, there were large doses of Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Chaka Demus and Pliers, Beres Hammond, Third World, Lady G, Patra, etc. on the Tempo menu in 2005 and throughout 2006.

There was relatively little dancehall during the first years of Tempo, and what dancehall was shown was primarily videos by people like Shabba Ranks, Beenie Man, etc. The huge amount of old school reggae and the small doses of dancehall were amalgamated with a few soca videos (although by the second year or so the number of soca videos started to increase), a few reggaeton videos primarily from Puerto Rico, one or two items from Cuba and the Dominican Republic, and a fairly large amount of American stuff by people like Common, Lil’ Kim, R. Kelly, and so on.

Tempo at that time was owned by Viacom, the parent company of MTV. This is why the original name was “MTV-Tempo”! Tempo’s popularity started to fall around the time when its founder, Frederick Morton, Jr., got together with some associates of his and purchased Tempo, rebranding its image in the process.

But my essential point is that soca started to make its presence felt in huge ways from 2006, before there were massive amounts of dancehall. In fact, Tempo’s “Live and Direct: Trinidad” was produced and broadcast as a separate hour-long special (I think it was an hour, although it might have been slightly longer), unlike the first “Tempo Live and Direct” which ran for about 90 minutes or so, and featured Jamaica, Nevis and Barbados.

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Bricktop, I’m not surprised that your post here is inaccurate.

That recording, done by Smith on (believe it or not) a simple, inexpensive Casio keyboard, heralded the digital age in Jamaican music and so signaled the death of live, creative bands.
    You realize that BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS heralded the digital age in Jamaica right? SO JAH SEH 1973 on a simple ROLAND drummachine...since we talking about inaccuracies

Comment

In Addition....

In addition to what I included in the Tempo “menu” posted above, new Jamaican videos were also played very, very frequently when Tempo first started. The most prominent ones among these included Damian Marley and Nas’ collaborative recording, “Road To Zion,” and the then recently produced Bob Marley recording featuring the legendary Eric Clapton on lead guitar, “Slogans.”

Comment

And it was Noel Davey who built Sleng Teng riddim...which wasn't even the second riddim built digitally...that would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVMqT2brD2s

But I am sure you knew all of this because a trained musical genius, such as yourself, should be well aware of music history...

Comment

You Are Correct

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
          You realize that BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS heralded the digital age in Jamaica right? SO JAH SEH 1973 on a simple ROLAND drummachine...since we talking about inaccuracies
          You are correct this time, boss.

I should have written “digital age in dancehall.” Bob Marley’s revolutionary 1973 recording did not change the direction of reggae in the decisive and fundamental way that Wayne Smith and King Jammy changed dancehall. What “Under Me Sleng Teng” did was to permanently alter the face of dancehall, ensuring that Tom-Dick-and-Harry-producers now “ran things” in every sense of the word, and talented musicians would begin to seriously contemplate employment in alternative industries!

By the way, since we’re jostling here about Jamaican music, one of my all-time favorite engineers is the talented dude who used to be at Channel One Studios in the 1980s, Scientist. This guy was brilliant! I think he’s now living and working in California (I’m not absolutely sure about this). He’s a nice guy, although a wee bit eccentric at times.

Comment

Actually it did...So Jah Seh was the single greatest influence on Steely & Clevie:

That was the song that made us aware something new was happening, and I spent a lot of time searching, what was this sound?
            Arguably dancehall's greatest production team...if you do not appreciate Steely & Clevie's music sittin wrong wit yuh...

Comment

Yep

And it was Noel Davey who built Sleng Teng riddim...which wasn't even the second riddim built digitally...that would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVMqT2brD2s

But I am sure you knew all of this because a trained musical genius, such as yourself, should be well aware of music history...
              And what about Tony Asher? By the way, the drums and the bass were all played on that toy Casio keyboard!!

King Jammy (the producer) and Wayne Smith were geniuses, and so of course, was Noel Davey whose role I inadvertently left out. (In fact, in subsequent years Smith has always given credit to Davey.)

I’m done for now, boss . Hopefully others will join in this spirited debate, although I suspect most posters are either sleeping or at church. Whatever the case may be, I strongly suspect that they are all spiritually united in nervously awaiting this afternoon’s prime ministerial ceremony in Kingston (lol).

Comment

Clevie is Immensely Talented!

Actually it did...So Jah Seh was the single greatest influence on Steely & Clevie:

Arguably dancehall's greatest production team...if you do not appreciate Steely & Clevie's music sittin wrong wit yuh...
                Steely’s death was a huge loss!!

Now, Bricktop, the difference between Clevie (Cleveland Browne) and most other producers is that Clevie is an accomplished musician. He’s a brilliant, musically eclectic drummer, as I found out when I first saw the short-lived Jamaican gospel super-band….(I cannot for the life of me remember that gospel band, which was formed in the early 1980s!!) He is also from a musical family (guys like Danny are very good at what they do).

Although that band featured two drummers playing simultaneously on some numbers (similar to what 1970s groups like Earth, Wind & Fire did), Clevie was the primary drummer. It was obvious that this guy was world-class!

That band also included other top-class musicians, including Stephen Stewart on keyboards. Stephen is now doing major production work, but at the time (the 1980s) he was the keyboard player in his mother’s pentecostal church on Windward Road. Although primarily a church musician, by the way, Stephen worked with secular musicians, including Sly and Robbie.

Incidentally, that gospel band, which in my view was years ahead of its time in Jamaica and so doomed to commercial failure, was heavily supported by Third World Band members. I was in the audience at that gospel band’s first two concerts, and I recall that on the first night Irvin “Carrot” Jarrett and Stephen “Cat” Coore were both sitting in the row immediately behind me with their dates. Willie Stewart was also in that audience.

So, yes (I strayed from the topic and started to reminisce about the good old days ), Cleveland Brownie was so musically accomplished that he was bound (along with Steely) to make a major impact on the development of Jamaica’s music industry.

Comment

First real Pro-tools reggae mix by Phillip Smart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMXYFnH0LZQ

Now tell me technology can't be used right.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I miss the hostess of Tempo.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Re: I miss the hostess of Tempo

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      I miss the hostess of Tempo.
                      I remember her . You’re talking about the Trinidadian hostess Jeanille Bonterre (“Empress Jeanille”). Jeanille was a lovely, very charismatic hostess, and she was perfect for Tempo in those early, heady days. There was also a young Jamaican lady who was later added as a support act of sorts alongside Jeanille (sometime around the second year or so of Tempo’s regular broadcasts, if my memory is correct). She was a very beautiful young multi-lingual Jamaican lady, but I cannot remember her name.

By the way, I don’t think many people are aware that MTV senior lawyer Frederick Morton Jr. got the idea for Tempo partially from a similar attempt by a Jamaican to launch a Caribbean music program. Jamaica’s Delroy Cowan created a similar Caribbean music channel in Miami back in the 1990s (I believe late in the 1990s), but this eventually failed because there was insufficient advertising support.

Comment

btw "the other jamaican lady" is my cousin. empress jeanille, met her one time ..... tiny ... sorry "petite",

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yuh have pretty cousins, Gamma?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes ..... what?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I Now Remember the Group

The Jamaican gospel band I referred to above, which included outstanding musicians like Cleveland “Clevie” Browne, was called Flight.

As I sat and marveled at the high quality of the music coming from the stage that night many years ago, I remarked to one of the persons sitting beside me that this band would not succeed in Jamaica (that was in the very early 1980s). In secular music, maybe, but not in the more tradition-oriented gospel atmosphere that Jamaica was (and still) is.

Sure enough, Flight disbanded within months. But those two concerts that I attended had rock concert-type intensity and volume, and the musicians were technically brilliant as they interpreted gospel lyrics in funk, jazz and alternative-reggae styles.

Comment

Working...
                              X