A Sign of Reggae's Demise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sign of Reggae's Demise?

What was known previously as the “Reggae Award” has now been renamed “Best Caribbean Performance.” Wow!

Kartel, Mavado up for Soul Train trophy

Saturday, October 22, 2011

WHEN the Soul Train Awards are announced later this year, there will be no Reggae Award.

The organisers have merged this category, which was previously won by the likes of Gyptian for his album Hold You, into a new category now known as Best Caribbean Performance.

VYBZ KARTEL... nominated in the category of Best Caribbean Performance for his single Summertime

MAVADO... nominated in the category of Best Caribbean Performance for his single Delilah

The nominees in this new category are:

Bend Over — Machel Montano; Man Down — Rihanna; Delilah — Mavado; Wotless — Kes The Band and Summertime — Vybz Kartel.
    The show will be recorded on November 17 in Atlanta and will air on Centric and BET 10 days later on November 27.
    The other nominees are:

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...#ixzz1bWIomKhS

Hmmmmm.....

Comment

Don't see this as proof of reggae's demise.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yow Bredrin, I'm just a reminding you to get the information for me! Thanks.

Comment

Yes! I will.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You're Probably Correct

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Don't see this as proof of reggae's demise.
            Mo, I’m tending to agree with you here. While I was the one who raised the question (that is, the possibility) in this thread, we probably should recognize at the same time that the USA has never been a great market for reggae music. In fact, although over the past several decades we have seen a few celebrities wearing Bob Marley T-shirts, the reggae master himself was never fully embraced by African Americans. (Interestingly, white Americans have always been more receptive to Bob Marley.) Bob’s massive fan base was primarily Europe, and parts of Africa and Asia.

I say all of this to suggest that BET’s surprising (at least to me) move in changing the name probably means nothing much in the overall context of reggae music’s popularity worldwide. The popular Caribbean festivals in places like New York, festivals which involve huge support from Trinidadians, Jamaicans, Guyanese and other Caribbean people, has probably partially influenced BET’s decision.

Of course, I’m just guessing here.

Comment

Remember TEMPO? Well it failed because small islanders were complaining that it was all dancehall and not enough soca being shown...they made the switch...and now they no longer exist...put that in your pipe and smoke it...hater...

Comment

Also soul train itself is dying. Reggae isn't dying. Word is Justin Beaver is doing some reggae on his next album. Have to watch a lot of children show start and many of them have a reggae theme. This includes Authur, Nick Jr have a lot of reggae songs including Bob's "Three little birds" and others. The biggest Child musican Dan Zanes new Album is entitled "Little Nut Tree" as he redid the Jamaican classic.

I am saying this because a lot of young kids are growing up on Reggae in the States and UK and Reggae demise is far from truth.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mick Jagger and Damian Marley have produced an album and expect it to hit the road soon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_975602.html
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Curious why historian would even choose that heading instead of "soul train's demise"! maybe it is a budget thing with soul train

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Curious why even bother to reply ? I cant see the value of campaigning against the genre of reggae called dancehall.Its here and not going anywhere.

We need to embrace all what we have and support it when it comes out as good music.I can understand the vitrol against the slackness(sex & gunman lyrics) but to tear down a whole genre ...naaaah not me , its comfortable with its niche market.

Dancehall is for the youth of its time and they are comfortable with each other.
                      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Seeing the glass as always being half empty?
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

A wonder what side of the bed you wake upon this morning. You kindly change your tune on the subject at hand.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Did i say I like dancehall, my preference at this stage in my life is SKA!

Does it mean I am going to dismiss it as not having relevance to some, or not point out its short comings to others.

Dancehall has serious issues that it has to deal with internally and externally.Its comfortable with its niche.
                            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

This was not when you were posting when you were ranting and talking about Dancehall is illiterate music and that it will not last.

You can't just change your tune and forget so fast, or can you?

Comment

Working...
                              X