• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama has written Personal Checks to Struggling Americans

Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans

First Posted: 10/21/11 10:27 AM ETUpdated: 10/21/11 11:00 AM ET

React

HPFacebookVoteV2.init(1019501, 'Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans', 'WASHINGTON -- Got problems? Tell Barack Obama. He can help. He might even give you money. On more than one occasion, the president has cut personal checks to struggling Americans who\\\'ve written to the White House, according to an excerpt from a new book by Washington Post reporter Eli Saslow about the ten letters the president reads every day. \\\"It\\\'s not something I should advertise, but it has happened,\\\" the president told Saslow. How many times has President...', 'http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/21/obama-personal-checks_n_1019501.html', 'http://i.huffpost.com/gen/380806/thumbs/s-OBAMA-small.jpg', 'Please join me at <a href=&quot;http://www.huffingtonpost.com/&quot;>Huffington Post</a>!', 'news', ["Important","Funny","Typical","Scary","Outrageous" ,"Amazing","Innovative","Finally"]); Important
    Funny
    Typical
    Scary
    Outrageous
    Amazing
    Innovative
    Finally

Follow

Health Insurance , Obama , President Obama , Recession , Unemployment , 99ers , American Stories , Obama Personal Checks , Obama Writing Checks , Politics News

#news_entries #ad_sharebox_260x60 img {padding:0px;margin:0px} if(HPAds.ad_check_page_config('sharebox_260x60')) { htmlAdWH("93315209", "260", "60","f"); var debugadcode = ''; document.write(debugadcode); }

if(typeof social_campaign != 'undefined' && jQuery('.print-link')[0].href.indexOf(social_campaign) == -1 ) { var _print_href = jQuery('.print-link')[0].href; jQuery('.print-link').attr( 'href' , _print_href + '&comm_ref=' + social_campaign ) }share this story

var inst_def = Badges.getUniqName(); window[inst_def.obj_name] = new Badges({ unique_id: inst_def.unique_id, holder_id: "badges_v2_1", panel_layout: 8, complete_callback_func_name: "", share_details_callback: false, additional_panel_classes: "", entry_params: { "id" : 1019501, "title" : "Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans", "created_on": 1319206200, "vertical_name": "Politics", "tweet_comm_hash" : "", "tweet_comm_text" : "", "force_fb_like" : 1 }, global_name: "window." + inst_def.obj_name }); // ================================================== === // Now goes logic for every layout window[inst_def.obj_name].setPanelBorderStyle("glamorous_4"); var slices = { 1: "facebook_glamorous", 2: "retweet_glamorous", 3: "email_glamorous", 4: "google_plusone_glamorous" }; // checking for ie7 safari 3 and ff 3.5 browsers because +1 badge not work if ((jQuery.browser.mozilla && (jQuery.browser.version Get Politics Alerts

Submit this story
    digg reddit stumble

WASHINGTON -- Got problems? Tell Barack Obama. He can help. He might even give you money.
    On more than one occasion, the president has cut personal checks to struggling Americans who've written to the White House, according to an excerpt from a new book by Washington Post reporter Eli Saslow about the ten letters the president reads every day.
    "It's not something I should advertise, but it has happened," the president told Saslow.
    How many times has President Obama intervened on someone's behalf, and with what kind of problems does he help? Mortgage payments? Medical bills? And when he wants to help someone out with a personal check, how does it work? Does he send a check signed "Barack Obama" directly to the individual in need, or does he send the money to a bank or company on the person's behalf? Do people even know when Obama has helped them out, or does the help arrive anonymously through a lawyer?
    The White House declined to answer any questions about the practice.
    HuffPost readers: Received help from the president after sending him a letter? Tell us about it -- email arthur@huffingtonpost.com. Please include your phone number if you're willing to do an interview.
    It's long been known that the president occasionally responds to the people who write him. Several folks who've heard back from Obama have even put the correspondence up for sale. NBC reported in June, for instance, that a single mom from Hobart, Ind. hoped to stave off eviction by selling an Obama letter for thousands of dollars. And a man who'd received a note from the president in response to an angry letter about bank bonuses put the letter up for auction in March.
    It seems like Obama views writing a check or making a phone call on a correspondent's behalf as a way for him to alleviate the powerlessness he sometimes feels when reading his mail from regular people.
    "Some of these letters you read and you say, 'Gosh, I really want to help this person, and I may not have the tools to help them right now,'" the president told Saslow. "And then you start thinking about the fact that for every one person that wrote describing their story, there might be another hundred thousand going through the same thing. So there are times when I'm reading the letters and I feel pained that I can't do more, faster, to make a difference in their lives."
    Arthur Delaney is the author of "A People's History of the Great Recession," HuffPost's first e-book.

I wonder what Herman Cain would say about this?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mr President, sar,

I was wondering...what, HL? Oh! Americans! Heh heh.

Nevermind, Mr. Obama sar!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

clarence thomas

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You need to take that fool out of your avatar...talk about disappointments...

Comment

He can write all the checks he wants and if the unemployment rate does not drop significantly, he is out the door! 9.1%
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              He can write all the checks he wants and if the unemployment rate does not drop significantly, he is out the door! 9.1%
              Maybe he's writing one to all the unemployed! That would be a good way to spend the campaign funds.
              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
              - Langston Hughes

Comment

hortical... unemployment could be 12% barack will still win the election... dont be surprised if its by a landslide... even at 12 %... the people are not clueless as to what is happening... there will be a democratic house and senate with a majority to put through all that obama wants for the people and the country... just watch the ride...
                'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Brethren you can not be serious? The House lost over 50 democratic seats in the mid-term election. The way I see it, he will win the regular blue states like CA, CT, MA, NY, NJ, RI, OR, WA, RI etc, and struggle to compete in the swing states of FL, OH, PA, VA, NH and NC. We will see...
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                    I wonder what Herman Cain would say about this?
                    Sen dem some pizza
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

The only way that happens is if the Republicans choose someone on the extreme right. If they hold thier nose and go with Romney as I suspect they will it will be a close election.

If its more than 10% unemployment next year this time though Obama will probably lose regardless of who they choose.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                      X