UWI's Biggest Debtor Nation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWI's Biggest Debtor Nation!

I got this bit of surprise courtesy of The Barbados Daily Nation newspaper (Thursday, October 20, 2011): http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/90m-owed-to-uwi/

$90m owed to UWI

Sir Hilary Beckles (FP)
    By Mike King | Thu, October 20, 2011 - 12:11 AM

Barbados is now the most indebted of the 17 participating governments in the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies, owing $90 million.

Principal Sir Hilary Beckles said yesterday: “We know that the Government is hurting. We are hurting very badly. It is a very difficult environment so I believe that with very skilful decision making and clear thinking, we can get through this.”

He said: “This recession has obviously placed the Government in a very difficult situation in terms of its fiscal deficit, in terms of measuring its cash flow. So what we are doing is working very closely with the Government.”

The debt is in the form of tuition fees and economic costs of the students.

The university has attracted $50 million from the international community to fund faculty research in the last three years and $80 million in the last seven years, Sir Hilary said.

Him need fi leave Gayle alone and go engage bill collectors! LoL

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      Him need fi leave Gayle alone and go engage bill collectors! LoL
      Fully agree with you, boss!

Comment

Definitely Surprising News!

This bit of news was surprising to me. I wonder how many people are surprised as well, and for what reason(s)?

Comment

I am surprised. I thought Barbados was doing very well...
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is not all dat glitter is GOLD
            Half the story has NEVER been told...

Comment

Working...
            X