No announcement yet.

Serious question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sounds like Jar-Jar Binks on one of those later Star Wars movies.

Gullah is clearly English based as well, sprinkled with West African terms. That is why we can read it phonetically so well. Jurin is "during" with a
    certain accent.

Comment

it is english based like our patois ... but it is not english .... the hint to you was how closely it developed with our own patois

some languages are latin based, some are germanic etc so i am not sure what your point is here. it is also more than terminology it has to do also with sentance structure .... for example the way the english uses the verb "to be" to describe both disparate and transient features ... i am hungry and i am black (except for kartel and michael jackson, the latter is a permanent feature) but in most languages there are 2 different verbs (ich habe hunger, ich bin schwarz/tengo hambre, soy negro) however when a culture which uses different verbs tries to merge one ends up with "we be this or we be that" point is that devolpment seems to be based on transposing languahes and so it is not as random as pure ignorance.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I met a sisten from one of those gullah places and she could for the most part understand quite a bit of Jamaican patois. Antiguans are probably the only english speaking Caribbean people who can fully comprehend Jamaica's patois, and surprisingly they do not have any garrison communities in their country.

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

kittians too ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The french also have one to be ETRE! Sure they have hunger, mais je SIUS allee...I went. BTW, is English Latin based or Germanic?

Patois is clearly not English, but it is based more on English than any other single language. This is why we can understand Bajans, Guyanese, Trinis, etc. It is also why we can understand Gullah and would be lost in ANY Western African language.

BTW, even English people cant understand a deep Scottish jargon, like Ronnie Nesbitt and Kenny Daglish!

Comment

Fully comprehend?

LoL

Mi can tek yuh to some deep rural places in Jamaica where YOU would struggle to understand. Poor Antiguan dem woulda be lost.

Comment

i would say english is indo-germanic rather than latin. and so italian is clearly not latin but it is damn close to it too .....

again my point is that there is a structure to patois that leads it being standardised and taught as a language in jamaica, to begin with...

Comment

English certainly has a latin root! Came about during the Norman conquest.

Comment

I think Willi says it's English-based because of the vocab, or terminology as you call it. Language is deeper than that, as you so aptly demonstrated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Damn dat sure soun lacka di patois mi used tuh ear back innah di daze.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Not sure I would say a Latin root, influence sure but would go as far as root.

As for the Antiguans you don't need to go there as therebare Jamaicans right there in jamaica who would struggle to understand some deep rural accents and terminology

Comment

I say this because Americans can pick it up pretty quickly when they move to Jamaica. WHITE Americans.

The correct accent is hard to get, but the language is quickly enuff learned for an English language native.

Comment

Working...
                          X