• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dabdoub says he will not apologise for 'loader man' comment

Dabdoub says he will not apologise for 'loader man' comment
    BY PAUL HENRY Crime/Court Desk Co-ordinator henryp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, October 14, 2011

PEOPLE'S National Party (PNP) candidate for North East St Catherine, Abe Dabdoub, has defied an order from political ombudsman Bishop Herro Blair to apologise to Education Minister Andrew Holness over a comment he made at a party meeting Sunday night in which he likened Holness to a "loader man".
    Dabdoub, a lawyer, made the comment while addressing party supporters at the Cheesefield Community Centre, just outside of Linstead in St Catherine.

DABDOUB… many of our young Jamaican men are gainfully employed as loader men on buses
    1/1

"The driver run lef' the bus while it still running, and the ducta say him nuh want the work. So them tek up the loader man put in the driver's seat and we don't know if him have licence," said Dabdoub. "Understand that it is the same old bus, the same old passengers, and the same old loader man who will be driving now."

His comment came on the heels of the ruling Jamaica Labour Party's (JLP's) wholesale endorsement of Holness to succeed Bruce Golding as JLP leader and prime minister in a matter of days.

In a letter to Dabdoub, which was copied to PNP President and Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller and JLP General Secretary Aundre Franklin, Blair said Dabdoub should apologise for characterising Holness as a "loader boy", calling the comment "unacceptable".

All politicians, Blair said in his letter, a copy of which was obtained by the Observer, are required to adhere to all aspects of the Agreement and Declaration on Political Conduct.

"I therefore ask that you make a public apology and in addition send a written apology to the prime minister-designate, the Hon Andrew Holness," Blair wrote. "I further request of you to encourage members of your party and your supporters during this political campaign to be courteous when speaking about their opponents..."

But in a letter to the ombudsman yesterday, a defiant Dabdoub said that he didn't refer to Holness as a "loader boy" but a "loader man in reference to the analogy used by Prime Minister Bruce Golding". In any event, Dabdoub said, he sees no need to apologise.

"... Ombudsman, you will appreciate that I am entitled to express my opinion about any person who holds him or herself out to be qualified to be prime minister. Does not the freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution of Jamaica entitle me to convey my opinion to an audience?" asked Dabdoub, who copied his letter to Simpson Miller and Franklin. "Surely, you could not interpret the Code of Political Conduct to infringe on my constitutional right to freedom of speech."

Dabdoub explained his reason for the characterisation, stating that he has served in the JLP together with Holness at an executive level from 1997 to 2006 and also in the House of Representatives. He said Holness is a very personable individual whom he knows very well "and happen to like very much". But that, Dabdoub said, does not qualify Holness to be prime minister.

"In other words, the "loader man" is not suitably qualified to be a 'driva'. That is what I conveyed to my audience by using Mr Golding's own analogy," said Dabdoub, who noted that he will continue to honour the Political Code of Conduct.

In the meantime, Dabdoub said he cannot apologise for referring to Holness as a "loader man", "given that many of our young Jamaican men are gainfully employed as loader men on buses".

Added Dabdoub: "To apologise would, in effect, impute on these men that they are employed in a demeaning job, and that is most certainly not my belief. I, therefore, fail to understand the basis for your concluding that reference to Mr Holness as a "loader man" is derogatory, unless you consider such employment as being demeaning."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1akQQlssg

BLACK LIVES MATTER

The ombudsman wants an apology for a perfect analogy?!?!

I agree 100% with Dabdoub. Blair is apparently no different from the heap a dunce Jamaicans who cannot appreciate an analogy.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cant see how Blair get di Job , a di same preacher whey twang up when im a talk.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

So when people say Portia carry on LIKE a go-go dancer, do you consider that a perfect analogy and thus correct.

It is not about if the anaology is fitting. It is about raising the level of our campaigning and refraining from straying into public disrespect.

Apologise and move on. Raise the level.

Comment

Is Dabdoub now the judge of who is qualified to be PM?

I have news for him...any CWealth citizen, over 18 years old and ordinarily resident in Jamaica for more than 1 year, not having sworn allegiance to any farrin powa and duly/properly elected to the H or Reps AND commanding the support of the majority therein...IS ELIGIBLE and QULAIFIED TO BE PM.

Now, as to who would be a GOOD chooice, Dabdoub has a right to his opinion. Everyone else is obliged to consider the source. Dabdoub supports Portia, so he may not be the best judge...

Comment

how is loader man a disrespect?

if that's the case "DI bus DRIVER "is also

cuz them basically in the same CLASS

IF THATS THE "DISS" mi nuh kno

note BRUCE say him is di bus driver

Comment

... personally I don't see a reason to apologize, the same way I didn't see the reason for Shaw to apologize. But thats how whiny the clownrades are .... they like to throw stones but complain when the favor is returned.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

SHAW called PORTIA a "leggo BEAST"

IF YOU NEVER KNOW

beast means- "Any four-footed animal, that may be used for labor, food, or sport; as, a beast of burden." or An animal other than a human, especially a large four-footed mammal.

u woulda like anybody call you mother/sister that?

Comment

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
                  SHAW called PORTIA a "leggo BEAST"

IF YOU NEVER KNOW

beast means- "Any four-footed animal, that may be used for labor, food, or sport; as, a beast of burden." or An animal other than a human, especially a large four-footed mammal.

u woulda like anybody call you mother/sister that?
                  Comrade ... you have a way to twisting things to suit you and yuh colleagues.
                  "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

what does qualified mean?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Shaw made an analogy?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nope,he said LIKE a leggo beast. Simile at best (comparison). Comparable to the analogy of the Loader man.

A leggo beast is NOT a beast at all. Dont perpetrate now. We all know what a leggo beast is. Its a person without restraint and self-control or parental control if a minor.

Unlike Lazie, I think both SHOULD apologise as Jamaicans no longer want this kind of campaining. Yes, we know that they did not TECHNICALLY diss, but that is the art form they have perfected, ie how to diss without being technically responsible. Aren't you guys tired of the same old, same old?

Comment

Comrade means "friend", "colleague", or "ally".

ok...

not twisting

what else could SHAW MEAN?

Comment

Having a degree or certficate from the University of PrimeMinisteriology?

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Nope,he said LIKE a leggo beast. Simile at best (comparison). Comparable to the analogy of the Loader man.

A leggo beast is NOT a beast at all. Dont perpetrate now. We all know what a leggo beast is. Its a person without restraint and self-control or parental control if a minor.

Unlike Lazie, I think both SHOULD apologise as Jamaicans no longer want this kind of campaining. Yes, we know that they did not TECHNICALLY diss, but that is the art form they have perfected, ie how to diss without being technically responsible. Aren't you guys tired of the same old, same old?
                              ok..

mi agree with you

Comment

Working...
                              X