Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, Hanoverians can Cross it..

Help!! — Georgia residents plea for bridge

BY MARK CUMMINGS Editor-at-Large Western Bureau cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
    Thursday, October 13, 2011

GEORGIA, Hanover — RESIDENTS of Georgia, just two miles outside the Hanover's capital, Lucea, have renewed their call on the authorities for the construction of a bridge that will connect their community with other sections of the parish.
    According to the residents, the absence of a bridge has been creating undue hardships for them, particularly when the river in the community becomes inspate.

Georgia residents making their way across the Lucea East River on Tuesday. (Photo: Alan Lewin)

1/2

"When the river comes down nobody can cross it. We have to go around the long road to get to the district," Eustace James, a resident of the once vibrant Georgia community, told the Observer West on Tuesday.
    "It's serious, very serious here... we are suffering badly and so we need them (the authorities) to build a bridge for us," added the 68 year-old James, who has been living in Georgia for more than four decades.
    At present, residents desirous of leaving or entering the Georgia, have to do so by walking across the treacherous Lucea East River or travel another three miles along a narrow, lonely and heavily vegetated roadway, using a dilapidated Bailey bridge.
    When the Observer West visited the area on Tuesday several residents, including students and babies were seen — many with footwear in their hands — making their way from Georgia on foot via the Lucea East River.
    According to Albert Lee — the councillor for the area — the Georgia bridge which provides the main link for accessing the community was badly damaged during Hurricane Gilbert in 1988.
    He said, however, that despite its poor state, the structure was still being used by the area residents.
    This he added, continued until about two years ago when the metal sections of the structure were reportedly removed by alleged scrap metal thieves.
    "The residents said that two years ago some scrap metal people came to the area and told them that a new bridge was going to be constructed at the present location but before that could be done they would have to remove the metals that were there. So after they removed the metals, the residents realised that they were conned because the men were in fact scrap metal thieves," Lee explained.
    Since then, he said, the residents have been "risking" their lives crossing the river, as they move back and forth from Georgia.
    "It a very dangerous situation now because when they (residents) are crossing everybody has to remove their socks and shoes and whenever the water is high some have to pull up their skirts and pants in order to cross. It is a very serious condition and is a potential source of danger for the people who are living in the area," he argued.
    Lee pointed out that Georgia was once a thriving farming community and was big on sports.
    "The people used to do a lot of farming in Georgia. They planted yams, sugarcane bananas and they were involved in a lot of sporting activities especially cricket ad football," he explained.
    The community, he added however, is now slowly dying, due to the absence of the bridge.
    "Scores of residents have left the community in recent years because of the existing situation... they just can't cope with it. Infact, the population of the community now stands at about 300 and there used to many, many more people living there," he noted.
    The Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) councillor who is serving his first term in office, said over the past few years he has made representation to Transport and Works Minister Mike Henry for a bridge, but his plea has apparently fallen on deft ears.
    He said he would again be writing to the minister, outlining the need for the structure. But Communications and Customer Care Manager at the National Works Agency (NWA), Stephen Shaw told the Observer West yesterday that the agency has no plans to erect a bridge in the area.
    "There is no plan to replace that bridge," Shaw said, adding that the residents will have to use the alternate route to get to the community.
    He noted, however, that the NWA was willing to "take a look on the alternate route with a view of seeing what can be done to assist the residents".

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...#ixzz1af7AoQnP

First the picture:

I looked at the photo by Alan Lewin for a long time.

The picture says quite a lot. It is 'deep'. This picture could win some kind of international award (in my opinion).

As to the construction of a bridge: Here we go again!! The Jamaican government sucks! Good at petty squabbles and name calling; great at establishing and maintaining silly differences. And impotent as bloody mule!!

I can think of several low cost TEMPORARY bridges that could help these good people before the construction of a permanent one.

The other issue I see the abundance of water-- in a parish that experiences a severe drought season.

You know what... let me stap:
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I notice how you break down the issues, I also notice that the political astute stay wide from this post, I so sorry that they could not find a way to twist it.

Comment

We have enough rivers to 'drown' the parish.

The Westmoreland/Hanover border - Cabaritta River.
        The St. James/Hanover - Great River
        ...numerous other rivers flow within the parish including rivers near Lucea.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

How could you forget to mention the Bronze River?
          "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

...our little river is named Cedar Gully.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Is that the one with the Golden Table?

Comment

Yes and as the good book says "In the abundance of water, fools thirst".

We will continue to be thirsty because Ja does not belive in the concept of self reliance or doing for self. Combine the above with a reformed quality education system and see what you get in ten years.

One leader ahhh let me stop. Unnuh juss haffi suffa Ja das all mi can say.

Comment

"...deft ears..."?

Comment

"Albert Lee — the councillor for the area", I wonder if the collapsed Gilmore Rd is in his area too? What about KD? or the National works group?

Comment

Working...
                    X