• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jamaica's greatest leader

Re: Jamaica's greatest leader

Published: Wednesday | October 12, 2011

Din Duggan

Andrew Holness, the prime minister-designate, is, undoubtedly, the greatest prime minister Jamaica has ever known - simply because he has not yet assumed office and has had no opportunity to do us harm. That will soon change.

Upon taking office, Mr Holness will face two paths to his - and, ultimately, our - destiny. If he traverses the road of political tribalism and executive mismanagement set by his predecessors, he will simply oversee the continued degeneration of a nation whose greatness remains entombed in the hearts and minds of its citizens.

If Mr Holness blazes the trail of political transparency, social justice, and economic revitalisation through progressive policies and bold leadership, he will, no doubt, unchain our true potential. The 39-year-old, who will soon become our country's youngest leader, would certainly become its greatest.
    In 50 years, the following letter may be appropriate. Indeed, if we are to reach the pinnacle of economic prosperity and social accord, it must.

To: My Grandchildren
    Date: October 12, 2061.
    Re: The peace and prosperity you currently enjoy.

Dear Youngsters:
    After losing my 20th consecutive game of virtual bingo, I decided to retire to my room at the Golden Age Senior Centre to pen this letter. As our nation approaches its 100th anniversary, I have reflected on just how far we've come from the social disorder, economic stagnation, and defective leadership that marked our first 50 years of Independence.

In 2011, after the abrupt resignation of Jamaica's prime minister, the governing Labour Party selected a young man to lead the party and, consequently, the country. It is because of the honest, resolute and inspirational leadership of this young visionary - the ninth prime minister of Jamaica, Andrew Holness - that you now enjoy a First-World standard of living in a peaceful and just society.

Crime
    It's difficult to imagine now, but Jamaica was once a very dangerous place. Criminals operated with relative impunity, facing few repercussions for their transgressions. A man of deep faith and conviction, Holness acted fearlessly to crush criminality and re-establish the Government as the sole arbiter of force. He strengthened the constabulary, modernised its investigative capacity, and implemented legislation that ultimately shattered violent gangs, drug-trafficking organisations, and public corruption (including corrupt members of his own party).

He completely overhauled the justice system, which had grown increasingly dysfunctional. The crime monster - the single greatest impediment to economic development and quality of life in Jamaica - was subdued and our economy quickly flourished.

Political Reform
    The young prime minister ended our adherence to the Westminster system of government, which had become untenable in Jamaica. Indeed, Holness' ascension was itself necessitated by this flawed system, as his predecessor was effectively forced to resign when his allegiance to his party and a single, influential constituent eclipsed his duty to his country.
    Holness implemented a republican system within which the prime minister is directly elected by the people and operates as the head of an independent executive branch of government - including an appointed Cabinet - whose sole responsibility is to manage the daily activity of the state, free from the surreptitious influences that often plague elected members of parliament.

Holness enacted a two-term limit for the office of prime minister - terminating the scourge of career politicians that had afflicted the nation. The move inspired a new generation of fresh, dynamic leaders to serve their country. He also promoted transparency in the election process by mandating full disclosure of political contributions. He further democratised the process by instituting public financing of elections.

Human Capital and Economic Reform
    The young leader invested heavily in traditional education, skills training, and advanced instruction in information and communications technology - endowing Jamaica with a vibrant and enlightened labour force that is now at the cutting edge of the global economic marketplace.

He established Jamaica as a leading offshore financial centre and haven of high-skilled business process and technology outsourcing. He oversaw the revitalisation of downtown Kingston - whose brilliant waterfront is now a gem among global commercial centres. He diversified and modernised our outmoded tourism offering - promoting ecotourism, as well as adventure, medical and sports tourism. He also leveraged Jamaica's wellspring of artistic talent, investing heavily in the development of our creative industries.

As you prepare to celebrate 100 years of Independence in one of the world's most amazing countries, be sure to remember the man whose transformative leadership largely fuelled our achievements.
    Farewell, for now; my beautiful nurse has arrived for my afternoon sponge bath.

Din Duggan is an attorney working as a consultant with a global legal search firm. Email him at columns@gleanerjm.com or dinduggan@gmail.com, or view his past columns at facebook.com/dinduggan and twitter.com/YoungDuggan.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I like this , oddly this is how i envisaged Bruce.Its the youth that wrote this.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Re: Jamaica's greatest leader

Published: Wednesday | October 12, 2011

Din Duggan

Andrew Holness, the prime minister-designate, is, undoubtedly, the greatest prime minister Jamaica has ever known - simply because he has not yet assumed office and has had no opportunity to do us harm. That will soon change.

Upon taking office, Mr Holness will face two paths to his - and, ultimately, our - destiny. If he traverses the road of political tribalism and executive mismanagement set by his predecessors, he will simply oversee the continued degeneration of a nation whose greatness remains entombed in the hearts and minds of its citizens.

If Mr Holness blazes the trail of political transparency, social justice, and economic revitalisation through progressive policies and bold leadership, he will, no doubt, unchain our true potential. The 39-year-old, who will soon become our country's youngest leader, would certainly become its greatest.
      In 50 years, the following letter may be appropriate. Indeed, if we are to reach the pinnacle of economic prosperity and social accord, it must.

To: My Grandchildren
      Date: October 12, 2061.
      Re: The peace and prosperity you currently enjoy.

Dear Youngsters:
      After losing my 20th consecutive game of virtual bingo, I decided to retire to my room at the Golden Age Senior Centre to pen this letter. As our nation approaches its 100th anniversary, I have reflected on just how far we've come from the social disorder, economic stagnation, and defective leadership that marked our first 50 years of Independence.

In 2011, after the abrupt resignation of Jamaica's prime minister, the governing Labour Party selected a young man to lead the party and, consequently, the country. It is because of the honest, resolute and inspirational leadership of this young visionary - the ninth prime minister of Jamaica, Andrew Holness - that you now enjoy a First-World standard of living in a peaceful and just society.

Crime
      It's difficult to imagine now, but Jamaica was once a very dangerous place. Criminals operated with relative impunity, facing few repercussions for their transgressions. A man of deep faith and conviction, Holness acted fearlessly to crush criminality and re-establish the Government as the sole arbiter of force. He strengthened the constabulary, modernised its investigative capacity, and implemented legislation that ultimately shattered violent gangs, drug-trafficking organisations, and public corruption (including corrupt members of his own party).

He completely overhauled the justice system, which had grown increasingly dysfunctional. The crime monster - the single greatest impediment to economic development and quality of life in Jamaica - was subdued and our economy quickly flourished.

Political Reform
      The young prime minister ended our adherence to the Westminster system of government, which had become untenable in Jamaica. Indeed, Holness' ascension was itself necessitated by this flawed system, as his predecessor was effectively forced to resign when his allegiance to his party and a single, influential constituent eclipsed his duty to his country.
      Holness implemented a republican system within which the prime minister is directly elected by the people and operates as the head of an independent executive branch of government - including an appointed Cabinet - whose sole responsibility is to manage the daily activity of the state, free from the surreptitious influences that often plague elected members of parliament.

Holness enacted a two-term limit for the office of prime minister - terminating the scourge of career politicians that had afflicted the nation. The move inspired a new generation of fresh, dynamic leaders to serve their country. He also promoted transparency in the election process by mandating full disclosure of political contributions. He further democratised the process by instituting public financing of elections.

The young leader invested heavily in traditional education, skills training, and advanced instruction in information and communications technology - endowing Jamaica with a vibrant and enlightened labour force that is now at the cutting edge of the global economic marketplace.

He established Jamaica as a leading offshore financial centre and haven of high-skilled business process and technology outsourcing. He oversaw the revitalisation of downtown Kingston - whose brilliant waterfront is now a gem among global commercial centres. He diversified and modernised our outmoded tourism offering - promoting ecotourism, as well as adventure, medical and sports tourism. He also leveraged Jamaica's wellspring of artistic talent, investing heavily in the development of our creative industries.

As you prepare to celebrate 100 years of Independence in one of the world's most amazing countries, be sure to remember the man whose transformative leadership largely fuelled our achievements.

Din Duggan is an attorney working as a consultant with a global legal search firm. Email him at columns@gleanerjm.com or dinduggan@gmail.com, or view his past columns at facebook.com/dinduggan and twitter.com/YoungDuggan.
      Worthwhile mechanics...but

The real solution: Engage the real genius in Jamaica... the "common" people..the man & woman in the street... include them in goal setting & decision making...remove them from the sidewalk looking at the Big Man (or Woman) in the Plantation Jamaica House making self-serving decisions

Social Contract mi seh
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

i like it!! nope .. i love it!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Why di bredda pitcha haffi so big? Is he Jamaica's greatest leader?

Comment

to emphasise the paucity of razor bumps?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I think he covered it Don , its like saying Tomato or tomaaato

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

But it emphasize seh di leff jaw biggah!

Comment

Working...
                X