RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unnu 'ear whe Oleness sey? Dawg nyam yu suppa.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnu 'ear whe Oleness sey? Dawg nyam yu suppa.....

EDUCATION Minister Andrew Holness is concerned about the use of patois eclipsing the more globally acceptable Queen's English among Jamaicans.
    He wants Jamaican youth, especially, to understand that their future in a global environment rests on their ability to converse in the universal tongue, English.

HOLNESS... I don’t buy this argument that I am excluding people because they can’t speak English (Photo: Michael Gordon)

"I think Jamaicans have to understand that English is an extremely important language in the world," Holness told journalists at this week's Observer Monday Exchange. "It is not one or the other, we must be able to speak English."

He said that there needs to be greater respect for the English language in the face of overwhelming use of the local dialect in day-to-day communication.

Holness, who is likely to become the new leader of the governing Jamaica Labour Party and Jamaica's ninth prime minister next month, also said that while he respects Jamaican creole, he is particularly displeased by the creeping predominance of broken English on the local airwaves.

"I have a problem with how the radio and television stations in Jamaica operate, that they just merge the two (dialect and English). Students get very confused. You have to make a distinction that on the formal stage, the language is English," he insisted.

Regarding conflict in the classroom over which language is more appropriate for teaching, Holness insisted that English must be the predominant language in the formal school system.

"We have a major challenge as to whether it must be patois or English," said Holness. However, he also cited the skilful use of proper English by national cultural icon Louise 'Miss Lou' Bennett, who was fluent in both, but used them appropriately for emphasis in delivery of her poetry.

"When you listened to Miss Lou, she was doing one of her well-known presentations for the BBC, she spoke perfect English and then she went into her dialect, translating."

Holness insisted that the schoolroom is the best place to establish among the youth what it is to truly be Jamaican in a global context.

In recent years, the issue of whether patois should be taught in schools or used by teachers during lessons has been hotly debated, with even a patois Bible and dictionary being produced.

Proponents of using the dialect in the classroom setting have argued that children should be taught in the language they use most when not in school and that to do otherwise would be exclusionary.

But the education minister disagrees.

"I don't buy this argument that I am excluding people because they can't speak English. We must make people begin to read and write English so that we can properly communicate," he said. "Survival of Jamaica doesn't depend on (just) Jamaicans, who are two or three million people in a seven-billion-person world. For us to be viable, we need to speak not just English, but Spanish and French and other languages. We must put this language debate to rest," insisted Holness.

Last edited by Karl; October 12, 2011, 07:41 PM.

It's the politically correct thing to say. If he said otherwise, he would not win an election.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Portia on the news last night: "Di chust deficit as continue to grow" "di JLP ave abondon the peeple"

Comment

chust?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

chust mi on dis one...chust mi...

Comment

OK..this is your new election strategy? Thought you could stay with the BIG picture....of course not...hijack master...did you train for this or it comes naturally?

Comment

Hijack master? My post was more than pertinent to the topic of the thread...yours on the other hand...not so much

Comment

Lol..mi gawn....no, no, no,...Ha, ha, I'm leaving. Have a positive day sir.

Comment

Perfect example of this foolishness at my workplace...you have Alu-Steel & Hollow Steel...we ordered $500,000 worth of 'ollow Steel but received Alu-Steel instead...LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH PROPERLY...stop adding H's where there are none and talking off H's from words when you shouldn't be...

Comment

where did the problem originate? was it what was said or what they thought they heard?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

When I found out I asked the clerk what he ordered...he said 'ollow Steel...I told him we didn't need Alu Steel that we needed Hollow Steel...he said yes that is what he just told me he ordered...

Comment

so he placed the order on the phone? shouldn't there be a written requisition?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yu tell de Dancehall artists dat?

Comment

Duh! Give up nuh! Like yu want paper trail?

Comment

We order by code...he called to get the code for said material...

Comment

Working...
                              X