X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful Entertainment News!

Mavado looking to Africa?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Internet reports out of the African state of Ghana indicate that Jamaican dancehall artiste Mavado may be looking to settle on that continent.
    The 'Man from the Gullyside' who was in the Ghanian capital Accra last weekend for a concert, reportedly told journalists that he may settle in Ghana in the near future.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of the show, Mavado, whose real name is David Constantine Brooks, is quoted in online reports as saying "Ghana reminds me of home," adding that he may settle in Ghana in the near future as soon as he gets a piece of land.

Mavado reportedly also said Ghana is like home because he is an African -- and he is an African because of his forefathers.

Mavado is also said to have been unable to could not hide the excitement his trip to Ghana brings him, saying he is overwhelmed by the trip and is looking forward to a memorable night at the Accra Sports Stadium, venue for the concert.

The online report went on the highlight that Mavado would not be the first Jamaican artiste to see Ghana as home. Wife of reggae legend Bob Marley, Rita currently resides at Konkonuru near Aburi in the eastern region of the country - adopting Ghana as home.

The website myjoyonline.com reports that when asked whether or not he has a competitor, Mavado, said he has no competitor, but whenever one pops up and he has to defend his title and he will surely defend it.

Host of the concert, Ghanian reggae act Samini reportedly recalled his trip to Jamaica two years ago where he met Mavado and discussed the possibility of having such a concert with him. He said he thanked God for making that dream a reality.

Good to see people all over the world appreciating the dancehall artist's talent.

Comment

What is so wonderful about this? Dancehall artist been performing on the continent for donkey years...it's the same slackness they singing you know...just that hey are singing it in the Motherland...

Comment

I think it's his way of saying good riddance to the fellow.... why he would wish that on Africa is unknown
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

the cynic in me is asking "why is this wonderful news" and for whom is it wonderful news?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Unknown?

The man has stated quite clearly that he does not give a damn about Africa. You want it pon a letterhead? LOL
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Is the cynic in you asking this of the cynic in Historian?
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

cynical, nuh true?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

LOL.

As him seh, people all over the world are idiots and that is why they like Mavado.

Why, oh why can't they appreciate Europeans techniques and throw away this worthless stuff . LOL

Comment

People Everywhere Like Mavado?

Originally posted by Me View Post
                    LOL.

As him seh, people all over the world are idiots and that is why they like Mavado.

Why, oh why can't they appreciate Europeans techniques and throw away this worthless stuff . LOL
                    I would dearly love to each comment in this thread, but because of certain constraints at this time, I’m not able to do so. But I need to make two statements for now:

First, when exactly did “people all over the world… like Mavado”?

I know we Jamaicans like local heroes, but is hyperbole now our last resort in highlighting this (desperate?) need for heroes? Please do not take Bob’s Third World superstar ( a genuinely earned accolade) to any ridiculous extent! In fact, I suspect that your description above would not even apply to superstars like Peter Tosh and Jimmy Cliff, two artists much, much, much more recognized worldwide than Mavado.

Secondly, and you will have to trust me on this, European techniques will ALWAYS be appreciated, long after the welcome death of the dancehall genre! I suggest that you spend more time checking out other genres before you place dancehall on pedestals where it currently ( unfortunately, some might say) does not exist!

Make a post here whenever dancehall is added to the onstage-recepient section of the Grammy Awards, or any other multi-cultural music award.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Unknown?

The man has stated quite clearly that he does not give a damn about Africa. You want it pon a letterhead? LOL
                      word
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Let mi she. Police buss Gaza, so who is left???? hhhhmmm. Man a move out beofre him get a long term call.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Let mi she. Police buss Gaza, so who is left???? hhhhmmm. Man a move out beofre him get a long term call.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

I happen to like Mavado. Not all his songs...like the one "Flowers bringing, bells ringing...Mama, buy a wreath fi yu son..." Very haunting, unique, great expression, outstanding voice...expressing the realities of life in the gully....another -"Mi deyah pon de gullyside, if yu want know whe fi find mi..." is also very Jamaican, very expressive and his intonations unique....
                            Don't support the badmanism, murder and killing, fighting vs. Gaza....but since in JA one seem to have to take sides...it would be gully...

Seriously, if he cleans up his act, does more universal themes - love, heartbreak, poverty, etc. I think Mavado could be be great international artist....

Comment

nuh tell that to X and a few others.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X