RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Long Way To Go - Naomi Campbell Points....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Long Way To Go - Naomi Campbell Points....

A Long Way To Go - Naomi Campbell Points To Barriers For Blacks Even After Her Breakthroughs
    Published: Sunday | October 9, 20111 Comment

Davina Hamilton, Voice Reporter

IF EVER there was a woman (apart from Katie Price), who some mainstream newspapers seem fixated on giving negative press to, it's Naomi Campbell. What gets less press is the large amount of charitable work she does.

However, 41-year-old Campbell, who is the focus of the new documentary series CNBC Meets, which aired two weeks ago, doesn't give the impression she's that concerned about how the press sometimes want to lay into her.

But while she's clearly not interested in winning public popularity contests - "If I'd started doing charity work for public adulation, I guess I wouldn't be doing it anymore," she laughed - Campbell is, and has long been passionate about one issue in particular: race.

Never forget roots

"The most important thing to me is that I don't ever forget where I come from and I never will," she says.

"I'm proud of it. I'm proud to be a black woman and I will do anything to stand up for my race."

Indeed, Campbell, Britain's first black supermodel and the first black model to appear on the cover of French Vogue, has often been vocal about the lack of representation of black models in the fashion industry.

In her earlier years, she spoke out against being paid less than her white counterparts, despite being considered one of the best-known models of the time. More recently, reflecting on the modelling world she said: "The American president may be black, but as a black woman, I am still an exception in this business. I always have to work harder to be treated equally."

Campbell has been so outspoken about the racial bias in modelling, that it seems that even now she is exhausted by the industry's prejudice, and feels that any improvement there has been for black models has been limited.

"I don't really wanna keep repeating that subject because it is what it is," she said, before asking me: "There is an improvement, but what do you feel?"

There's a long way to go, I tell her.

"I agree," she says. "I'm with you."

Being one of so few black models in the business, particularly back in the 1990s, when she was arguably the only black model of serious note, did Campbell never fear that speaking out against racial bias would leave her ostracised within the fashion world?

"No," she says firmly. "I speak out. Could I speak out more? Absolutely. But I've said my piece and I feel the same way as you: we've got a long way to go."

A woman who rarely does TV interviews, south London-born Campbell decided to open up to the cameras as part of the recent CNBC Meets documentary. In the programme, presented by broadcaster Tania Bryer, Campbell reflected on her career, from her childhood days in Streatham; her global success as a supermodel; and her charitable achievements.

She also returned to the south London house in which she grew up.

"I was very happy to go to Streatham, back to the house I grew up in," said the star, whose Jamaican mother Valerie is a former dancer.

"I've been to Streatham, but I hadn't been back to the house because other people live there now. I have some great memories; very fond memories of my childhood and growing up, so it was great to go back to the house."

Charity work

Aside from her work as a model, Campbell represents numerous charities and has raised a whopping US$7 million for charitable causes.

Next month, she will be honoured for her charity work at the Angel Ball in New York, an event organised by the Angel Foundation, which seeks to raise awareness of cancer research. This work is particularly poignant for Campbell, whose mother battled breast cancer.

But with the British beauty often vilified in the press for her anger-management issues, does she feel that this reputation has meant that her good work has been overshadowed?

"A lot of my friends and people that know me say that. But I don't do it [charity work] for public adulation, I do it because I like doing it."

With so many remarkable achievements under her belt, is Campbell happy?

"I'm happy today," she says. "I stay in the day. That's how I live my life. I've got my health, I've got my family and friends, and I'm just trying to stay low and do what I do.

"See me when you see me, and when you don't need to see me, you don't see me, [laughs]."

talk about people walking wide of a subject!

well, as long as there is breath in me I will force us to look at race issues until I feel we have confronted it and dealt with it the right way.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is how much people really business bout this story. You nuh easy.
      Them not opening the floodgates for black women to starve themself and snort coke everyday. Good fi black people ... although brown people like you did already a get a bly in the industry.

Comment

what is her contribution to playing a responsible role????
        What has she done? What about the done her share of playing in the stereo type role boxing down people fi nothing, drugs and even took some dirty diamonds based on report.

She has had the oppurtunties many has not and it is people like her needs to open doors for others. Big difference between people like her and Tyra banks for example.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ah bway...

Comment

Naomi has played her role...don't get sucked in by the hype and negative press...what about all those other models snorting and doing all kinds of stuff that gets no press....?

Comment

It is not about playing role it is about giving back in a way that others can benefit. A nuh so some other people do???

Again compare her to Tyra banks. Yes other take drugs too, but not everybody get blood diamond or every few months hit somone who she employ in one capacity or another. How is that positive.

Show me the model that she has groomed.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

She has paved the way. She nuh haffi groom nuhbody di way Tyra has. Has Garvey groomed anyone?

Some people, simply by what they have accomplished, have inspired and helped numerous others.

Did Jackie Robinson groom anyone?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

mi nah go talk to you bout Jackie but Garvey writings is there for us. He was a businessman and had his organization to work with poor black people.

Where is Noami. A bet you if is white Model box up their workers unnu would a have a lot to say but because she black she get a pass??? Just because she paved the way? That is not enough. If she contribute it would be easier for others to climb the ladder she is currently on and continue to use only for herself.

Comment

And Garvey is a convicted felon and deportee, and MLK was an adulterer, and Bruce...okay, I hope you get the point. What are these persons' legacy? Are you saying Naomi Campbell's legacy is boxing a helper?

Do you want Naomi to write a book? Do you want her to have an airline where models are the flight attendants? (Not a bad idea, actually.)

The woman is a model. She walks around struts her stuff! That's what they do! That is enough inspiration. She broke open an industry that was lily-white and paved the way for numerous non-white models.

Are you serious, Sass, or yuh just feel like chat?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Actually, Iman probably was the first to disrupt the apple cart, but Naomi also did her thing!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          what is her contribution to playing a responsible role????
                          What has she done? What about the done her share of playing in the stereo type role boxing down people fi nothing, drugs and even took some dirty diamonds based on report.

She has had the oppurtunties many has not and it is people like her needs to open doors for others. Big difference between people like her and Tyra banks for example.
                          wooiiee mi belly!
                          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Sass is Lost in HeadSpace
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

As long as Naomi keep boxing down people, beating them with cell phones etc., she will forever get negative press.

Just tell her to attend some Anger Management class and cool herself
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X