Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNP played role in JPS abuse

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I have noted with a mix of irony and disgust the People's National Party (PNP) and the eagerness of its youth arm to mobilise public opposition to the Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS).

The fact is that the PNP's dismal record in matters relating to JPS and the electricity sector makes it easy to conclude that there is more than a whiff of vulgar opportunism at play here. For those who were too young and those with faulty memories (conveniently or otherwise), here are a few reminders:

First, the current licence under which the privately owned JPS operates was issued under the PNP government. The licence was issued by the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) after the National Investment Bank of Jamaica and Mirant agreed on the sales price for JPS and the licence's terms and conditions. None other than Dr Vincent Lawrence, former Prime Minster P.J. Patterson's right-hand man, spearheaded the negotiations. The shortcomings in the current licence are, therefore, those negotiated and agreed by the PNP.

it was the pnp ... !
    Second, it was the PNP government headed by P.J. Patterson and Robert Pickersgill, as minister with responsibility for JPS, that was found to have directed or agreed with the JPS to overcharge the public to the tune of several billion dollars. This happened while JPS was under government ownership and management and consumers only received compensation after the OUR, under its former director general, Winston Hay, made a scandal out of it.

We ought not to forget, as well, that it was the PNP that sought to impose a charge for street lighting on customers' monthly bills without their knowledge. The issue only came to light once after the much-maligned OUR informed the relevant branch of government that it did not have the authority to impose taxes, and hence could not consider the request.

Don't get me wrong. The current billing issue is a very serious and troubling matter. However, the inabi-lity of the relevant agency of government to properly address the issue expeditiously is, in large part, linked to the deficiencies in the JPS licence for which the former administration is the grand architect. The attempt by those associated with the fiasco that got us in to this predicament to pass themselves off as the great defenders of the public interest is most disingenuous.

FABIAN WILLIAMS
    fabian_june2006@yahoo.com
    Nassau, Bahamas
    Last edited by Karl; October 10, 2011, 12:49 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Played a role? Really?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

JLP nuh play nuh role inna any abuse ?everything is misinformation and lies because it nuh come inna letterhead form
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
        JLP nuh play nuh role inna any abuse ?everything is misinformation and lies because it nuh come inna letterhead form
        Yuh posts are all over the place X. The letter is about the JPS. Do you agree or disagree? If you have nothing of substance to say on the issue its okay to do like the others .... walk far.

Comment

I think X is asking some very good questions. Don't you?

Comment

Substance would be that the PNP has abused some institutiuons ? and only that in your eyes ,my question still stands.

Do you want it on a letter head?

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              I think X is asking some very good questions. Don't you?
              I'm not suprised you think so.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                Substance would be that the PNP has abused some institutiuons ? and only that in your eyes ,my question still stands.

Do you want it on a letter head?
                ... I take it you have nothing to say on the matter. Who was the
                architect behind the current JPS monster?

Comment

JLP should be the only political party in Jamaica, that is what the new constitution should say, as per you the PNP is no good.

I hope I did not take away your soap box.

Comment

leff di man sah ..im honest fi admit im bias..lol..mi dun call im out laaang time .

Comment

OK you not surprised? Whatever. You don't think his questions are relevant and worth asking? Can you answer that without trying to get personal?

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                        OK you not surprised? Whatever. You don't think his questions are relevant and worth asking? Can you answer that without trying to get personal?
                        what questions? The man asked a question that was irrelevant to the letter and you're intend on following him down that irrelevant path.

Comment

If the complaint is not on letterhead I walking far yes! Sheesh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is anyone going to comment on the facts the writer outlined?

Comment

Was it on letterhead?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X