• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praises for Golding

Praises for Golding
    BY INGRID BROWN Senior staff reporter browni@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, October 08, 2011

THE men who were all lining up to replace Bruce Golding as leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and subsequently prime minister on Wednesday lauded his contribution to the country, even as they prepare to usher in a new leader in a matter of weeks.

Deputy JLP Chairman Robert Montague said he wanted to place on record his appreciation for the work and worth of Golding and for his contribution to the country.

GOLDING… hailed by Cabinet colleagues
    1/1

While admitting that the Golding-led government has been challenged since day one, Montague said the prime minister has contributed significantly to Jamaica during his four years in office.

"We have really bit the bullet and had to take some harsh decisions as a Government, but it is for the benefit of the country," Montague said. The prime minister, he added, has made the penultimate sacrifice that anyone could make when he announced his intention to resign from the party and as prime minister next month. "To walk away as prime minister and party leader four days before he buried his mother must have been very hard," he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Dr Ken Baugh commended Golding for having put himself in the arena.

"Those of us in the arena really know the pain and suffering and the weaknesses that we have and the challenges we have to face in our personal life in the media and the press," he said.

He added: "I always warn new aspirants about Palm Sunday when you are brought in on palms, but I say the crucifixion follows shortly afterwards." According to Baugh, those in politics have to be aware that it is not only the risk but the reality.

Noting that Golding has given excellent and very strong leadership, Baugh said "he still has the courage to take decisions nobody else would have taken, and those decisions were critical to Jamaica to put us in a mode where the macroeconomy is stable and the country is open for investments".

Meanwhile, Dr Baugh sought to clarify a media report that he rebuked Golding for suggesting that the older vanguards should make way for a younger generation of leaders. He said that he never "fumes" or "rebukes" and would never do that to his colleague and friend the prime minister. "I merely disagreed on a point and expressed my position on it," he said of the man who he described as having laid the foundation.

The 39-year-old Andrew Holness who is now the front-runner in the race for leadership of the party and prime minister of Jamaica credited his success to Golding and former prime minister Edward Seaga.

"Both men have prepared me for this day," Holness said as he addressed a group of parliamentarians, party officers and councillors who came out in solidarity to support his race for the top job, during a press conference at Terra Nova Hotel in Kingston, Wednesday.

Holness further singled out the work and sacrifice of Golding.

"I have been privileged to have sat beside him and observe his work ethics," Holness said, adding that Golding has been known to be up working until the wee hours of the morning.

Finance Minister and deputy party leader Audley Shaw wished the outgoing leader all the best for the future.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1aDtDsip5

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Somebody call me when the PM-designate acknowledges the grave missteps by his mentor. Someone in the JLP needs to categorically state that what Liad Bruce did was wrong and the party should never have refused his resignation. And that they hope never to repeat the nonsense.

Call mi when dat happen!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tribalists must be Tribalists

The behavior is hard-wired within them
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X