Supreme Court to hear class action suit against JPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court to hear class action suit against JPS

The Supreme Court is set to begin hearings into a class action suit, filed against the Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS), on November 24.

The suit was filed on September 9 by a group of disgruntled JPS customers.

The customers have formed a group called Citizens United to Reduce Electricity (CURE).

CURE is challenging the constitutionality of the licence held by the JPS.

The group’s attorney, Hugh Wildman, said the utility company’s licence became unconstitutional with the passage of the Charter of Rights Bill earlier this year.

Wildman said sections of the Charter of Rights stipulate that every Jamaican has the right to equality under the law, and the right to equitable and humane treatment by any public authority in the exercise of any function.

There have been mounting calls for the Government to end the JPS monopoly on electricity distribution, amid increasing electricity bills and complaints about poor customer service.

editorial@gleanerjm.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I really curious to see if anything would come from this. I do applaud the efforts of Mr. Wildman though. Wish him luck.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

hmmm .... technically this is not a class action suit. a class action suit is a suit where people outside of the claimants (once they fall into the defined class) without having to litigate the issue anew. i believe what this does is to establish a cause of action and damages award if successful then others will flood in ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
      X