• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People. Full stop.

People. Full stop.

Published: Tuesday | October 4, 2011

Gordon Robinson

I've bad news for all textbook economists whose academic advice dominates daily media. Economic theory hasn't grown and will never grow any economy. It's people who grow economies. Once we accept this principle, Jamaica can stop running around in panic-stricken circles and face some hard economic realities.

Reality No. 1: The fundamental basis of economic recovery involves huge spending increases on human-capital growth. Top-quality education and job training are first priorities. We must convert the next generation from labour-intensive drones into high-tech achievers.

Reality No. 2: The next most vital plank of economic recovery is infrastructural improvement. Along with human-capital development, infrastructure upgrade is a budgetary priority and sine qua non of growth.

Reality No. 3: Without alternative, renewable-energy sources, recovery or growth is impossible. We must stop offering this necessity lip service only.
    That's how jobs are created. The above framework is Government's obligation. The rest will take care of itself. It matters not what the International Monetary Fund (IMF) says. The IMF's objective is to ensure our external debt is paid. We have more urgent priorities. We must fight for them. Catchy slogans won't create a single job. JEEP, bleep! Jobs, jobs, sobs! Only within the contextual certainty of high-class education, infrastructural improvement and low-cost energy can Jamaicans start creating jobs.

Reality No. 4: Our public debt is unsustainable. Without significant debt relief, we can forget economic recovery. It's time to face facts, stop pretending for the IMF's benefit, and start negotiating an External Debt Exchange. What about a debt-equity swap? It works for corporations. Why not for countries?

Reality No. 5: Exports must be competitive. In the 21st-century global village, we can't afford high labour costs. But, if we achieve the goals of Reality No. 1, we'll automatically cure the high labour-cost problem.
    Speaking of people growing economies, I see the People's National Party (PNP) and its sycophants are trying to convince us that Dudus became rich in the 1990s without any PNP help. The PNP chairman says he researched the contractor general's website for Incomparable Enterprises Limited and has trumpeted his non-findings. Sycophants have followed pee, pee, cluck, cluck without asking a single question. That's their prerogative. I have questions.

"People,

people who need people

are the luckiest people in the world."

Can any contract be granted or performed on a don's turf without his approval and participation? If dons form alliances, especially across political borders, will the territorial influence of each over contract work expand? Will they use their own companies to obtain those contracts, or will they use the companies of activists duly registered as per the relevant regulations?

"No more hunger and thirst

but first be a person who needs people.

People who need people

are the luckiest people

in the world."

I never once wrote of Incomparable, nor did I intend to refer to that company. What I wrote, in my September 11 column 'Both PNP and JLP needed Dudus', was "if any company controlled [i.e. legally or practically] by [Dudus] was, in fact, duly registered, it would've been a facile abdication of responsibility to administratively register companies and then hand out government contracts ... to companies with possible connections to organised crime". I also asserted: "My reliable sources tell me that Dudus' chief partner in 'business' was a well-known PNP activist ... now in the US disguised as Cooperating Witness No. 1 ... ."

In full spin-doctor mode, disregarding the pointed lyrics of Bob Merrill and Jule Styne, PNP toadies ignored these important hints, beyond which I cannot go because of the defamation laws, and tried to bamboozle us with official documentation. Did anybody expect a modern, intelligent don to be less adroit at manipulating corporate law than legitimate captains of industry? Does the OCG monitor subcontracts? If the de facto situation was that companies associated with organised crime benefited from government contracts, whose responsibility was that?

While begging for mercy, Dudus now boasts of assuming Government's role in growing Tivoli's economy. He talks about "implementing social programmes; offering self-empowerment, education, skills training". He founded a youth club that "kept parks and recreation areas in the community clean". Finally, my personal favourite, his 'Parent Association Committee'. He writes: "Members ... would walk the street to make sure children ... are off the street by 8 p.m." Using what? "Walk the streets?" What exactly does this simpering euphemism mean? President, indeed!

How were these "programmes" funded? Only by gunrunning and drugs? If so, whose responsibility was that? Where was the PNP government all this time? Non-complicit? Uninvolved? Not responsible? Blind?

Give me a break!

Peace and love.

Gordon Robinson is an attorney-at-law.
    Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Real Hard Talk
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
    X