X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falmouth Pier to the World........

Port of Falmouth receives Port of the Year award

Published: Tuesday | October 4, 2011 Comments 0

Visitors to the island disembark the Voyager of the Seas in Falmouth, Trelawny.

The Port of Falmouth was presented the Port of the Year Award at the Seatrade Insider Cruise Awards 2011, held at Seatrade Europe, Schmidts Tivoli Theatre, in Hamburg Germany on September 27.

Over 89 participants competed across six categories. After an initial elimination process narrowing the group to 18, Falmouth emerged the winner from a group of three finalists, which included Port Akdeniz in Port of Antalya, Turkey and Port of Bergen, Norway.
    The Port of the Year Award recognises a port authority or port management company which has made significant improvements to its handling facilities/cruise-tourism infrastructure over the past 12 months. Officially named the Historic Port of Falmouth, Jamaica, the cruise ship port was designed to highlight the town's historic past and was strategically developed to enhance Jamaica's cruise product.

Joint venture
    It was built as a joint venture between the Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. The facility's berths can accommodate the largest cruise ship in the world. The Falmouth Port is the largest themed cruise port development in the history of the Caribbean costing in excess of US$220 million.

Accepting the award on behalf of the PAJ, William Tatham, vice-president, Cruise Shipping and Marine Operations, stated that he was extremely pleased and expressed that "not only was it a victory for the Falmouth Port, which met and surpassed global standards, but also a victory for Jamaica's cruise-shipping sector and the historic town of Falmouth."

Mike Henry, minister of transport and works and Noel Hylton, president and CEO, PAJ both expressed delight at the receipt of the Port of the Year Award. They are of the view that "the Falmouth Pier is now more poised to position itself as a world-leading cruise destination."

Seatrade Europe is the biennial meeting place and trade platform of the European cruise industry, bringing together senior buyers and planners from the cruise lines with suppliers from all sectors of the ocean and river cruise industries.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

I've got to take a cruise that stops in Falmouth!
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Now you see how them people yah a sample. You see how them cuss the port? If it did turn white elephant them would a have most talk, but when the port win prestigious award them can't even say good.

Big job to the Port Authority and all involved.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

TRying to keep away from Tivoli cass cass...The Port of Falmouth was presented the Port of the Year Award at the Seatrade Insider Cruise Awards 2011, held at Seatrade Europe, Schmidts Tivoli Theatre, in Hamburg Germany on September 27.

BTW - what does this award mean? More cruise ships?

Comment

I visit Falmouth the other day, bwoy the town really look different, I could not get on the pier though, sarry next time.

Comment

Working...
          X