X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Books do for You?

The Books that Made Me

Zero to 12 years

The Good Book -- tenks Mom & Grandma (nuh watch di backsliding doh)

Drought, Riot, Hurricane -- Andrew Salkey yuh wikkid nuh ********! All now mi still ah trimble

Grolier's Encyclopedia & Annuals -- The Google of a past age..nice! cover to cover

13 - 17 years

The People Who Came -- How cool is it wen yuh classmate faada write yuh history text?

How Europe Underdeveloped Africa -- Walter Rodney The Great, Babylon di Bandit. A Tour de Force

Capitalism & Slavery -- yes is a roti-eater write dat but rispek due to di Max..an tuh Eric

The Philosophy & Opinions of Marcus Garvey -- Foundation. Black Man Time

Children of Sisyphus -- at least one Jamaican named Patterson is Great

The Wretched of The Earth -- yeye openingv

Things Fall Apart -- Nigeria's version of Jamaica's decline ...on steroids

18 to Whateva

Household view dun form areddy suh nutted cyan move mi lika dem deh but...

... Intanet tuh di Werl!!
    Last edited by Don1; October 3, 2011, 05:21 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Good Topic. You bring back some memories there like The People Who Came !

I was a big Andrew Salky fan myself.. Hurricane was my favourite.

You did read Young Warriors? Probably my favourite English Lit book.

Me did like the Trini literature book "Green Days by the River". I could relate to the main character (feget him name now). Things Fall Apart was an eye opener as well.

As an adult the #1 book which changed the way I thought was:

- Autobiography of Malcom X

These days I mostly read non-fiction on specific topics like entrepreneurship or leadership, and biographys of interesting people.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yuh deh pon point!

Yes the autobiography of the X Man is essential...unfortunately I didn't read Young Warriors

Sad that nowadays di yutes might believe that The People Who Came is a sex book

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Mi fi add Animal Farm and fi science fiction..War of The Worlds

wikid tings

Comment

Ah yes, Animal Farm is a classic.

There was a book me did read in primary school based on a true story bout a youth who did get lost at sea with him father who was a fisherman. The father died but he survived and was rescued. I want to say them was from Trelawny.

Anybody remember that book or the story?
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I remember the story well...don't know the book though

Comment

Unnu nevva read "Kindle"? Mi see everbody a read it. The book long....everyday, everynight....all a come wit light....want to start a Kindle Sufferers' Group. Any takers? Send yu snail mail, I'll send yu a red-leather-cased one.

Comment

LOL. Well me haffe pass because me think me a go to hold a Kindle Fire when it come out.

Comment

no puppa... mi nuh reach den lebel deh yet

Paper mi seh

Comment

Haffi mek Jawge deal wit yu!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                      Ah yes, Animal Farm is a classic.

There was a book me did read in primary school based on a true story bout a youth who did get lost at sea with him father who was a fisherman. The father died but he survived and was rescued. I want to say them was from Trelawny.

Anybody remember that book or the story?
                      I kinda remember the story.
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes...the story...true story..boy ws famous...there was recent blurb on him the newspapers which rekindled my memory...of course it needs rekindling again.lol. Yes, Jason White......my brain is working overtime these days...
                        Have any of you watched the movie "Limitless"?? You should,...I've got the clear pill.

Comment

No, but me read annodah one called
                          YeyePad. LoL

Comment

Islandman - you are correct. There was a book written about Jason Whyte (the youth lost at sea).

Home > Book Details

cmCreateProductviewTag("9780194226752","Jason Whyte, Jamaican (Paperback)",null);
                            Stock Image
                            View Larger Image

<H1 id=book-title>Jason Whyte, Jamaican (Paperback)
                            (ISBN: 0194226751 ) </H1><H2 id=book-author>Terry E. Parris

</H2>
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes that is it. Thanks! So it still in print?

Comment

Working...
                              X