Reason for PM decision to quit not important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for PM decision to quit not important

Political commentator, Kevin O'Brien Chang says the reasons for Bruce Golding’s decision to step down as leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and subsequently prime minister, are not important at this time.

Last Sunday Prime Minister Golding issued a statement announcing his decision not to seek re-election as party leader at the JLP Annual Conference in November. He also said he would resign as prime minister as soon as a new party leader is elected.

Mr Golding cited that events over the past four years had taken a toll on his tenure. However, following public criticism of his silence on the reasons for his decision, the Prime Minister has decided to address the nation in a public broadcast at 8:00 p.m. today.

But, Mr O'Brien Chang says the pressure on Mr Golding to state the reasons for his decision are unseemly in light of the fact that he had been mourning the passing of his mother veteran educator, Enid Golding who was buried on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Mr O'Brien Chang says the JLP is likely to lose the next election if Andrew Holness or Dr Christopher Tufton is not elected to lead the JLP into general elections due next year.

Mr Holness, who is the education minister and head of the JLP’s Public Relations Committee, is seen as the overwhelming favourite to replace Mr Golding according public opinion polls, followed by investment and commerce minister, Dr Tufton. Finance Minister Audley Shaw is also seen as a likely candidate.

Originally posted by Skeng D View Post
    the reasons for Bruce Golding’s decision to step down as leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and subsequently prime minister, are not important at this time.
    i agree with the qualifier (at this time)... however, it is important that the nation learn the REAL REASON for Bruce's about turn, in light of his defiance to remain the leader of the party and the nation when everyone, except for a few party faithful were calling for his RESIGNATION 16 months ago... if he knew he was in an untenable position, as the leader, he should have exercised better judgement and resigned in the best interest of the nation...

the real reason for his turnaround will be revealed... it may be more embarassing coming from another source other than his lying lips...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Drivah nuh haffi tell unnuh nutting.. him resign... move on...find a next target.. unnuh really getting outtah hand now..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
        Drivah nuh haffi tell unnuh nutting.. him resign... move on...find a next target.. unnuh really getting outtah hand now..
        Driva...doan stap atall!!! LOL
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yuh sound hurt... and yuh right, drivah nuh affi tell de nation nutten... de truth will be revealed in due time... i suspect a most embarassing moment pending for de drivah...

btw, his speech last nite had to be a disappointment to many of his supporters in his cabinet... talk about cutting the throats of some of his key party leaders... i am sure shaw & baugh ae livid this morning...

Comment

Baugh Rebukes Golding

DEPUTY PRIME Minister Dr Ken Baugh has taken issue with last night's address to the nation by Prime Minister Bruce Golding, in which he said the time has come for the old vanguards of the country's political parties to step aside and make way for young leadership.

Baugh, a former chairman of the governing Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) and aspirant to replace the party leader and prime minister, said Golding should desist from such comments and give way to due process.

"He is obviously influencing the outcome; I don't think that is justified. That is my opinion and you can quote me on my opinion," a defensive Baugh said yesterday.

In his address to the nation, Golding said: "It is time for my generation to make way for younger people whose time has come, who are more in sync with 21st-century realities, whose vision can have a longer scope and who can bring new energy to the enormous tasks that confront us."

But the 70-year-old Baugh, who has served as leader of the opposition, said: "I think when you make age a factor, you are obscuring the real issues that need to be discussed. (Issues) as to why the goals for Jamaica have been so elusive."

He added: "There is a need for age and experience in particular to bring together a good understanding of what has happened over all these years when political leaders get in place and still have not found the solutions," he told The Gleaner.

Staying in the ring

In the meantime, the deputy prime minister, who has held several top posts in politics since the 1980s, said his experience in politics over the years has made him fit for the top post and he has no plans to remove his hat from the ring.

"At this point in time, I think I have a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience. The decision I would have made at (age) 30, I would change my mind at 60 or 70," he said.

Asked what he thinks his chances are of winning the top post should he run against the likes of Andrew Holness and Christopher Tufton, Baugh said he was betting on the moment to reaveal who is the man for the job.

"I believe that the campaign will bring out the real issues. Rather than just the young, I think the real issues have to be with people who understand what is happening in the country, what has happened over the years, and what is happening in the world," he said.

"If they allow the process to take its place in terms of campaign and once we insist on being democratic and give every aspirant the opportunity, the people will benefit more than to just be carried along in a sentiment that it is the young (who are most fit for the job)."

He added: "I really believe that people feel they have been disappointed in the past and if they try the young, they are going to provide solutions," Baugh said.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead2.html

Comment

lol... bruce a wikid... him could not just go all by himself... de reward for supporting him was to be thrown under the bus... if i was baugh and shaw i would be furious with that weak and disingenuous speech... bruce is a back-stabber lacking morals, principles, judgement and respect for due process... good riddance...

Comment

dis biggah dan yuh.

Drivah mek a brilliant move.

PNP dead up.

Comment

real master, sacrifice di king fi try save di knight

Comment

If a laff tiday! What a frikkin comedy, this JLP bunch!!!!!

Yuh know what, let's keep them all in office. Ity and Fancy Cat nuh sweet suh!

Bruce eedah lie, or just frig up di ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X