Runaway Bay HEART Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runaway Bay HEART Training

Runaway Bay HEART Hotel Continues to Lead in Training for Hospitality Industry

Monday, 13 March 2006 08:00

The 20 year-old Runaway Bay HEART Hotel in St. Ann continues to be a leader in the training of persons for the hotel industry, both locally and internationally.

This facility is also famous as a garden property, offering excellent hospitality service, predominantly by a young Jamaican staff.
    "We have had a lot of partnerships with overseas entities and we are the first hotel with a training institution to have ever become green globe certified and this is not just in the Caribbean but throughout the world," Manager of the hotel, Janet Dyer, tells JIS News.
    "We also won the Caribbean Sustainable Tourism award in 2005 and this was not a small feat for us because we went up against all the major hotels throughout the Caribbean," she adds.
    A graduate of the hotel in 1988, Miss Dyer says she is a living testimony of the motto, 'skill is power', noting that after much advanced training and strong determination to achieve her goals, she was the first female in Jamaica to have ever become a designated certified hotel administrator.
    Miss Dyer points out that more than 300 students attend classes at the training institution and that a shift system is in place to facilitate students who are not able to attend during the day.
    "We have been spreading our wings to provide training for foreign students as well," she says, adding that students from countries such as Cuba and Chile have accessed training at the school.
    Outlining the courses offered at Runaway Bay HEART, the Manager says they include food and beverage management, food preparation, house keeping, fruit and vegetable carving, ice carving and cake and pastry making.
    She informs that the training has been expanded to include Spanish, which is now being taught as a compulsory subject.
    "With the new hotel developments coming on stream, we have to be geared to the time," she says, citing the Club RIU Hotel that was recently opened in Mammee Bay, and the Bahia Principe Hotel, which is now under construction in Discovery Bay.
    "An impact survey was done in regard to meeting the needs of these new developments and so we saw it necessary to include Spanish in the curriculum, so that our students can have that edge when they go out to seek employment," she notes.
    Miss Dyer tells JIS News that the students are exposed to other aspects of learning to include French, voice and speech, computer skills and entrepreneurial skills, and that German would be added soon.
    To ensure that the workforce that will be needed in the sector by the year 2007 is well prepared, Miss Dyer informs that they have developed off-site institutions, where persons can access the theoretical side of the training, then come to Runaway Bay HEART in order to access practical training.
    "We have partnered with the Marcus Garvey Technical High School, where the grade 11 students are being provided with the Level 1 training. They are then assessed by HEART, so they can graduate with Level 1 certification from the National Council on Technical and Vocational Education and Training (NCTVET)," she says.
    To prepare students from just being able to acquire line level jobs, Miss Dyer points out that they have also partnered with the Culinary Institute of America in an effort to allow chefs to be able to acquire training up to a Level 5 standard at the school.
    "We try to ensure that when our students leave here, they are competent to go out and take on the task that will be required of them in the world of work," she says.

Facilitator at the hotel, Richard Mitchell, tells JIS News that he is proud to be working at the hotel, knowing that he had accessed training there some years ago.

"I enjoy working here because it gives me a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. Runaway Bay HEART Hotel and training Institute is the number one training institute in Jamaica and it is setting the trend for the wider Caribbean," he says.
    Food and Beverage Instructor, Navia Campbell, tells JIS News that she was also trained at the Runaway Bay HEART Hotel and that she feels honoured to know that she is able to impart knowledge to the trainees who are currently attending the school.
    "It gives me a great feeling when I see my trainees out there in the working world and I know that I had something to do with their achievement," she says.
    Level 2 trainee, Kayon Sinclair, holds the institution in high esteem. He says that the training has changed his life dramatically, in that it has made him a more rounded individual.
    "Once an employer sees on your resume that you were trained at the Runaway Bay HEART, the doors of employment are opened. What I say is true because I have had that experience," he tells JIS News.
    Marketing Representative, Shorna Myrie, says that the Runaway Bay HEART Hotel "is Jamaica's best kept secret".

She notes that the facility offers a number of services, which include the planning and executing of weddings and banquets as well as arranging conferences or corporate retreats, adding that guests are well taken care of on their visits.
    "We have a lot to offer here at the Runaway Bay HEART Hotel, where we seek to touch the hearts of our visitors as we continue to make our mark in the hospitality industry," she says.
    The Runaway Bay HEART Hotel and Training Institute is a full service property operated under the aegis of the HEART Trust/National Training Agency (NTA).
    Last edited by Assasin; September 12, 2011, 09:38 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Since HEART is in the news for some negitivity. I am a proud black graduate and I know in my times we were in demand in all areas of Hotel, because our training was superior and we were wanted by all the major brands.

It makes me very proud to see my batchmate(we were the first) Janet Dyer(black girl from St.Elizabeth) went to one of the big brand as a chef and made her way by wining many awards and came up through the ranks to be leading this institution proudly. When I last spoke to her she was talking expansion, expansion.

I would challenge any good reporter in a Ja to do a background on the graduates in the 20 years of this institution and see where the graduates are and what they have achieved. Also the instructors who have passed through as they were mainly just basic supervisors during their tenure.
    Last edited by Assasin; September 12, 2011, 09:43 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sounds like a good place, with a good program, for training those among us who do not have the aptitude, talent, finances, desire, qualification etc for traditional, nonvocational, tertiary education. It seems to be a rather long route to take if one wants to become a manager. I think a university degree in management would be shorter, and more fullfilling for those who wish to have a sound academic base, and make themselves more marketable.

BTW you said the training you had was 'superior', I am interested to know what exactly it is being compared to.

Comment

Most of the students who go to HEART have between 1-5 CXC. There is an entry test. House keeping, waiter and bartending were six months. If you completed housekeeping and wanted to return to be a waiter they would allow it. As for bartending the demand was so high that you had a job.

Front Office proceedure covering all areas of front office, then you had hotel accounting, landscaping & maintenance and food prep. All were one year courses. YOu had interntional recognised chefs doing brief stints. Landscaping & maintenance was very good.

This is not only for college but life skills. You were provided with classroom training, on the job training in the local hotel and work experience in other hotels. On my third week there, a front office staff was on vacation and I had two weeks at Jamaica Jamaica and the compliments I got from guests, I was told I had a job once I graduated. Once given a chance these students will go on and succeed. It is a real intense program and structured so no loafing around. As for the standard our chefs trainees won multipli awards at international food competions. George Brown university(if I remember right) in Canada offer scholarships and programs for the graduates.

The training that was provided could be compared with no other in Jamaica. Within 3 years we had to past students who were professors at either CASE or UWI, both were from the food prep program.

Mi biggest joy was to be one of two students to greet and part of a touring party for President Kit Masire, President of Botswana. He told he had diamonds but would love to have education like this in his country. He also say Ewon Hewitt(Irie FM) and said he was the dead stamp of one of his sons .
        Last edited by Assasin; September 12, 2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Yeh Sass, but it's still a vocational school, and that's fine, as long as we are totally tranparent with students going into fifth and sixth form about what postsecondary education is, what their choices are. I strongly suspect, and I could be wrong, that most of the more academically gifted students are not going to have HEART as their first choice after leaving high school. Quite frankly, I would be disappointed if my daughter told me that she wanted to opt for a HEART type program, rather than the more traditional university after leaving high school. I would try my best to discourage that. Not that anything is wrong with it, but I am just being honest.

Comment

I doubt most people have HEART as a first choice. It is a good place to get a second start for people who can't get into University, can't afford it or want a trade. You actually get a stipend from the goverment and payment while you work in the hotels. It also help with discipline. We need more of this. Ok what if your daughter never get the 10 CXC you planned for her???? HEART is good place for her to get back her confidence, get a skill and even use as a stepping stone to go college.

Comment

Agreed. The idea behind the HEART program was to give secondary school graduates who would not go to a traditional college for whatever reason a marketable skill set.

The vast majority of our secondary school leavers fall into that category.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I agree, but I really don't plan around not getting, I plan around getting. It has to do with foundation and preparation which start at an early age, and I do recognize that others may not have the same opportunities, or parents with the same interest, but that is their choice, or situation and in those cases HEART is a good salvage.

Comment

Reggaedoc a lot of this happen. I had my friend in high school. Very Brilliant and he lost his sight right before exams. I wonder if he ever gained it back or what happen to him. Kids sometimes lose parents or don't have the support you give to your kids. Sometimes we loaf out our last few years of high school especially boys so this is needed.

Good that you plan around getting but you need a cushion just in case. Too many bright 16 -18 year old sitting on corners in Ja because they are not qualified for University.

Comment

Quite frankly, I think the government should stop wasting money on programs like HEART. Sounds harsh, but it is a waste of tax payers monies. What the government should do is to have Hospitality streams in the technical high schools. Students who are attracted to the hospitality related trades could tranfer out of the traditional high schools before 5th form, and persue courses of study leading to certificates in these areas over 3 years. They would also be expected to persue a foreign language, computer science, basic accounting, English, home economics, health science, human and resource management along with their elected areas of concentration in which thay want to work after leaving school. Summers should be spent interning at hotels etc. They would leave high school better prepared to persue their endeavors, than having to go to HEART for crash courses at an extra burden to tax payers, after being given a full high school education, and then having to give them what is essentially another high school education after high school. Seems like a waste to me.

Comment

a waste of Tax Payers Money ???

http://www.heart-nta.org/PageGenerat...esBySectors346

Check it out den come back to discuss..

Comment

When you can take a look at the institution. I have been a advocate for tourism in the high school but that doesn't make HEART a waste. The standard you find couldn't be taught in many high schools in Ja. You simply don't have the kind of resources you have here and an hotel environment totally run by students and a few instructors.

I can remember when some big hotels were opening they sent their workers on three week prep courses. There should be at least 3 of the hospitality academy accross the island. The fact is that this was build buy IDB funds and it actually is suppose to fund itself with the hotel operation with 40 rooms. I can't tell you how profitable the hotel is but I know in my time it was booked out.

Comment

Every parish has, or is next to a parish with a technical high school(THS). The resources used for HEART could be used to expand the curricula in these THSs to include the hospitality related trades. More students would have exposure to these trades, and the hotels could use these schools for continuing education at nights, to upgrade or retrain their staff. They would have to pay tuition of course. High schools in Jamaica, a poor island with limited resources, are underutilized after 3 pm. They could be money earners if they offer practcal courses in the evenings.

Comment

In order to have somthing like HEART it has to be in a Tourism market. Again the hotel is a privately run entity which make it possible and the support of the other hotels. You can't run this on students coming in the evening only and holiday. AGain the training is was the only profitable government training entity in Ja awhile back. This is a unique government/private entity as top hotels and ships use to trip over the graduates.

Again having hospitality in the school is the way to go but HEART Runaway is well worth its keep.

http://www.runawayheart.com.jm

http://www.jis.gov.jm/news/113/22792?mode=redirect

This is more than an High school thing. It could be compared to Comm college.

Comment

you should probably do some more research on Heart then revisit your opinion..

Comment

Working...
                              X