X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Coffee? What's the story?

DBJ splits up Wallenford

Published: Friday | September 9, 2011

Milverton Reynolds, managing director of Development Bank of Jamaica.

*Coffee bids pushed back to October

Avia Collinder, Business Reporter

The bid deadline for Wallenford Coffee Company has been pushed back six weeks allowing more time for investors to take an interest in the loss-making coffee processor.

Milverton Reynolds, managing director of the Development Bank of Jamaica (DBJ), blamed the delay on the complexity of the deal as well as late expressions of interest.

PricewaterhouseCoopers Jamaica (PwC), the advisory firm commissioned to sell the state asset, said in late August that it had got zero bids.
    The bid deadline of September 2 has been pushed back to October 14.
    "Advised of the interest of others, we took the decision to extend the date," Reynolds said Tuesday, stating that while no bids had been submitted to PwC because the interested parties had, by then, been advised of the extension.

Wallenford, he said, has been divided into 10 discrete packages on which bids are being invited.

Prospective investors may bid on any single, any combination, or all of the packages as identified in the information memorandum issued on June 8. Bids for the complete Wallenford operation will still be accepted.

Wallenford grows, purchases and processes cherry coffee into green beans. It is Jamaica's largest processor of green beans originating from the Blue Mountain and high mountain regions, and the largest exporter of coffee.
    But in the past three years as its sales declined, the company racked up heavy losses that rose close to half-billion dollars at yearend July 2009, but fell to J$163m last year and an estimated J$1.5m loss at July 2011.
    The DBJ, through its agent PwC, placed Wallenford on the market seeking to unload the debt-ridden company in June.

The coffee company has accumulated debts of J$1.6 billion, which are covered by US$36 million (J$3.09b) of assets - some of which are fixed assets acquired in the past two years while the bank and the Ministry of Agriculture restructured Wallenford's balance sheet and repositioned it for sale.

The assets have been packaged into 10 discrete bundles including farmlands, factories, pulpery, roasting and packaging plant, other buildings and trademarks.

Wallenford owns approximately 2,430 acres of land, of which 405 acres are under coffee cultivation. It operates factory and processing facilities, several farms in the Blue Mountain region, a pulpery, property located on Marcus Garvey Drive in Kingston, and the Wallenford brand.
    DBJ's preliminary information guide states that Wallenford's annual operating revenues for the last six years averaged US$8.7 million.

In late August, a company representative at PricewaterhouseCoopers said he expected that any bids for Wallenford would likely be "submitted at the last minute, as is the practice in Jamaica".

Meanwhile, Reynolds said that announcement is to be made "soon" in relation to the Mavis Bank Coffee Factory Limited (MBCF), whose sale to the Pan Jamaican Investment Trust-Jamaica Producers Group consortium was approved in April by Cabinet.

The DBJ is selling its 70 per cent stake, amounting to 408 ordinary shares, while the Munn family is expected to retain its 30 per cent holdings.
    MBCF's assets were valued at about US$20 million ahead of the sale.

The company, which operates from 12 acres of land at the foothills of the Blue Mountains, sells some 1.4 million pounds of green beans annually and markets its processed beans and instant coffee under the Jablum and MBCF brands.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

mi tell you but you think a politics. In the 1990s when coffee prices were the best in the world and the Japanese use to prepay for coffee. Check out who ran Wallenford and Mavis bank and the Jublin brand. Nuff of the farmers are still owed money until today. Nuff hasn't returned to farming. How the government got a hold of Wallenford, Mavis Bank and Jublin? and how some big people get bail out and the small farmers didn't get pay.

Coffee was high paying and very profitable in 70 and 80s and even Manley was a big farmer.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Manley?

Manley go out because he was losing money along the lines of water running off after heavy rains.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

That would be Jablum... not Jublin
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

thanks
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

when did Manley get out? Up until 1990 Manley had his big farm. Manley was not losing money. Only when he lost health he was not an active coffee farmer.

I happen to see a few of those bonus check back in the days when Coffee board controlled. Manley had nothing to do with the demise of the coffee industry. Other current and past politicians have their hand in that.

Comment

Thwaites, Munn...and others...great going for a while but all ended up with enterprises that were failing.

I have not kept up with what has happened since...so my question to you who I believe would have had more info - What is happening with Our Coffee (Industtry)?

Comment

Incidentally -

Coffee payout on Friday Published:Tuesday September 13, 2011 | 10:07 am

Permanent Secretary in the agriculture ministry, Donovan Stanberry. (Photo).

Christopher Serju and Jerome Reynolds, Gleaner Writers

Permanent Secretary in the agriculture ministry, Donovan Stanberry, says coffee farmers who supplied the Wallenford Coffee Company will be paid all money owed to them by Friday.

Stanberry gave the assurance during a hastily called meeting following a demonstration by angry farmers in front of the ministry yesterday.

The disgruntled farmers are upset that they have not been paid despite a directive from Agriculture Minister Robert Montague last month that the Coffee Industry Board immediately move to secure the long outstanding payments.

However, despite his assurance, the permanent Secretary did not say from where the money would be sourced to make the payments when he was pressed on the matter.

Derrick Simon, President of the All Island Coffee Growers Association, said while farmers await the payment several uncertainties remain over the sector as it regards the new crop season.

Simon said fewer companies are buying local coffee.

He said the situation is further unsettling as the ministry has still not yet indicated the price at which local coffee will be sold to the market.

He said some famers have postponed reaping because of a lack of funds and the uncertainties surrounding the sector.

editorial@gleanerjm.com

Comment

Well many people came out of Blue mountain in the 90s because they didn't get paid for their crop plus natural diaster and no insurance.

The Japanese is in recession and not buying as much anymore. They are trying to get Market in Starbucks and China while govt stuck with the factories that were run by Thwaites and Munn.
                  Last edited by Assasin; September 13, 2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X