• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now track and field tribalism

And now track and field tribalism

Published: Thursday | September 1, 2011

Keith Noel

A POLITICAL analyst and researcher posited recently that Jamaican political history - and the culture of tribalism it spawned where our political tribes developed a system of gangland 'constituencies' that had a politics, a leadership structure and a 'policing' and 'justice system' of its own - is unique
    This system synthesised itself in the 1970s. In that period, the wrong answer to the question, "Ay, barse, whey yuh defen?" could result in a serious beating, even loss of life or limb. This type of ultra-tribal mentality has become so ingrained into our psyche that it now permeates all areas of our life. At 'Champs' time, and during inter-school football matches a spontaneous state of war develops between supporters of the Kingston- based boys' schools.

Another development was the 'war' between the supporters of two of the leading dancehall artistes, the 'Gully' and the 'Gaza'. This came to a head when a motorist, driving a tourist, was 'passing through' a road party held by the supporters of one artiste. It was discovered that on his car player, the music of the other artiste was being played. The driver was dragged out of his car and soundly beaten! If my memory serves me correctly, the tourist (who could hardly tell the difference between the two) was also roughed up.

'We versus them' tribalism
    The 'we versus them' tribalism is now rearing its ugly head in our support of our marvellous track athletes. The growing audience for this sport brings with it the ingrained tribal approach to everything Jamaican. They have discovered that we have two of the world's leading coaches and, between them, they coach some of the world's finest sprinters.

What has resulted is an attitude where persons see themselves as being supporters of Stephen Francis' MVP or of Glen Mills' Racers Track Club. Over the past couple years, I have sat in the national stadium and heard so many disparaging remarks about each of these coaches (and their charges) by supporters of the other 'side' that I wonder if, when we send out national teams, these persons are able to support the athletes from the other camp.

On Tuesday, I was in the gym and, during a news break the item came over in which it was announced that Kaliese Spencer had sustained an injury that would seriously affect her gold-medal prospects in the IAAF World Championships. To my amazement, a woman, whom I knew to belong to one particular 'tribe' of track fans, laughed and made a sneering comment about "dem deh coach who feel that dem can coach athlete to get gold medal". I was too stunned to point out that "dat deh coach" had been there, done that! Not to mention that the athlete was representing Jamaica. All of us!

Naked crudity
    The result of the tribalisation of our track-and-field support was seen in its naked crudity, during the TVJ commentary on the championships.
    One of the commentators was Bruce James, who is an official of the MVP club. After the shock of Usain Bolt's disqualification for his false start, there was an informative and interesting discussion of the rule re false starting. James made the statement that, of all the variants of this rule, it was, in his opinion, the least problematic. At the end of the discussion, there came a series of tirades against James. Callers claimed that James did not like Bolt because he was from Racers club and coached by Mills. It was almost being said that he was glad that Usain 'picked out'! What was disconcerting was the fact that there were some callers (and later writers and twitterers) who seemed to genuinely believe that a man could not be a senior official of MVP and wish a Racers athlete any good.

We must find a way to solve this social malady. Two areas of life which, in the past, have helped to forge our national spirit are now under threat. We are the greatest nation in the world where track and field athletics is concerned. We cannot allow Jamaicans to 'war' over track clubs as they have over DJs or over political affiliation.

Keith Noel is an educator. Send comments to columns@gleanerjm.com.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure3.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

LOL! Poor Keith Noel, he should know all about this.
    But he is right, there is a sense that if you admire Bolt then you cant like Asafa, if you think Dexter Lee is a good sprinter then you must think that Yohan Blake wont come to anything.

It is as if we must choose sides and cant support all Jamaican athletes

I got an earful of the nastiest badwords from a so-called Blake fan-atic on Monday who called from New York and said I should not write anything about him (Blake) as he knew for a fact that I am a Dexter Lee fan....
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

The problem is a lack of critical thinking in society. No ability to separate objective analysis from personal preferences.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

mi nevah guh pon holiday.. wheh yuh ah tek ovah mi job fah ?

Comment

But so much better said. LOL.
          How can we expect any better from the wider public when on this site - let's say people with access to a computer - do the same?

Comment

Bingo! But often times it is the athletes or their handlers themselves who foster these reactions, they read and listen and watch and if you say nice things about one set of athletes, they label you immediately.

There are some Jamaican athletes who have done very well for themselves and the country but on a personal level they are very difficult to like.

Just like football players, basketball players etc but when you go to cover them you have to put then crap behind you and do your best work regardless.

When they are on top and you go to meets here and overseas and they walk right by you and give interviews to white people or they ignore your questions

But sports is a great equaliser and I have been around long enough to seen careers, great and careers less significant start, run its course and flame out and as night follows day, they always come back on the downward slope trying to make up as they seek to stay relevant.
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Just try to be objective despite this and call a spade a spade...nicely.

Comment

isn't it the same mentality that give Gaza/Gully?

I remember when it was third world vs chalice
                Jose/briggy
                Ninja vs Shabba

and it goes back to Ska days.

We like competition nuh rhatid and don't appreciate, instead we hate.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  LOL! Poor Keith Noel, he should know all about this.
                  But he is right, there is a sense that if you admire Bolt then you cant like Asafa, if you think Dexter Lee is a good sprinter then you must think that Yohan Blake wont come to anything.

It is as if we must choose sides and cant support all Jamaican athletes

I got an earful of the nastiest badwords from a so-called Blake fan-atic on Monday who called from New York and said I should not write anything about him (Blake) as he knew for a fact that I am a Dexter Lee fan....

Oh Lord............
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

I have never won a PAJ award because you have to first be a member and you have to send in your on submissions to win, kinda like self gratification but I am very proud of where I am in terms of the relationships I have forged all over the island.

As a Cornwallian, it was very difficult to get information from a Rusea's, Herbert Morrison, STETHS or even Munro coach..now they call me before I call them.

Certain track coaches in the Kingston schools or central Jamaica will call me before they call anyone else given the trust we have built up- to me no awards can beat that.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Very cogent & insightful points...on the money re tribalism and the silly camp vs camp mania... the Jamaican penchant for nonsensical dissension on display...

A nice touch is the most vociferous & notorious tribalist claiming ownership of "critical thinking"

One point to Mr Noel... Jamaica is FAR from being the leading nation in track & field.... nor are we even the leading nation in track

Jamaica is currently the leading nation in sprints.. a glamorous subset of track & field...and this status will not be permanent and is not divinely ordained..it's cyclical.... things will change sometime

We should fulljoy this new Golden Age of sprint supremacy while it lasts by doing the things necessary to sustain it as long as possible...not be consumed by ludicrous tribalism...but unfortunately that tribal fighting seems as much in our DNA as running fast is.
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Keep your direct links. Apply for the award.

Comment

why you say Keith should know about this? he use to neigbour to my aunt when he lived in Hughenden. Him use to have some good East Indian mango and a nice looking wife. LOL
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Munro people call you, Sickko? Apparently a few people not following my instructions!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dem nuh rate you. Heard a few of them snickering Saturday that them leff instructions not to let you on the plane so you cant get no game...if you played maybe they would get more than 6-0.
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X