Is this really about what Vick did to some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really about what Vick did to some

dogs or does this guy have other issues with Vick?

Did Vick kill a child or an old lady? Did he even kill a dog?

I find it hard to understand how someone can think that a man who did prison time for dogfighting has not paid for his bad decisions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Vick, I’ll never cheer for you

Commentary: I can’t forgive this dog abuser

By Jon Friedman, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — Did you see that the Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League just gave quarterback Michael Vick a $100 million deal spread over six years? Yes, the same Vick who was convicted of financing a dog-fighting ring.

It turns out that $40 million is guaranteed, according to media reports, meaning that if Vick only plays one down this season, gets injured and never returns to the football field, he still receives 40 million bucks from the Eagles.

The whole thing makes me sick.

Yes, still.

I have a hard time forgetting the atrocities he committed against dogs. I’m still very angry about that, and I’m holding a grudge. I recognize that America is a forgiving nation and we love to cheer for second-chance success stories.

But what Vick did turns my stomach. His level of cruelty seems unimaginable. And how he is being paid as an American hero. It just seems wrong.

I’m glad I don’t have to work as a beat writer covering the Eagles. I’d have a hard time writing about Vick’s heroics on the gridiron. Journalists are famously objective about their subjects (wink, wink) but I couldn’t be dispassionate about Vick. I’d be secretly rooting for him to fail.

As a fan, I’m thankful that my team, the New York Giants, didn’t sign Vick. I can’t imagine how some of the football writers and the Eagles fans are so quick to welcome him. I have been a Giant fan for my entire life. But if the team had signed Vick, I might have switched allegiances.

Yes, I know the counter argument. Vick served 20 months in prison. He did his time. He paid his debt to society. Now he should be allowed to pursue a career, like me, you or anybody else, especially rehabilitated former convicts.He should have that privilege — but I also retain the right not to be a fan of his.

And I understand, too, that sports is now an entrenched part of the entertainment industry, just as much as it has to do with the sports scene. The two big businesses are intertwined to a point where you can hardly separate one from the other.

Notorious stars like Michael Vick give sports a certain pizzazz and fans love that sort of thing nowadays. The Eagles, a franchise that has never won a championship in the Super Bowl era, believe they’re very close to reaching the promised land — and the Eagles think Vick is the man to get them there.

A few years ago, it would have seemed impossible to believe that Vick could enjoy such acclaim. Vick’s saga is one of the most well publicized comeback stories in recent history. Even in an era when a plethora of professional athletes have disgraced themselves, their families and their teams, Vick stands out in many people’s minds.

He was the Atlanta Falcons’s No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 college draft and quickly established himself as one of the league’s best and most exciting players. A favorite of such sponsors as Nike, he was on the cover in 2004 of a popular video game featuring former NFL great John Madden published by Electronic Arts. He was one of the wealthiest athletes in all of sports at the time.

But in 2007, Vick was arrested on dog-fighting charges and ended up serving time in prison. He pleaded guilty to a federal charge of bankrolling dog-fighting in Virginia and served for 20 months in a federal prison. He filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and told a judge he was earning 12 cents an hour as an overnight janitor in prison, CNN.com noted.

He returned to the Eagles as a lowly third-string quarterback. When he got a chance to play, he energized the team with his stylish running and passing. The Eagles quickly became one of the most feared squads in the NFL, largely because of Vick’s exploits.

As the new NFL season dawns, the Eagles are being picked by many observers to go to the Super Bowl. The reason? Michael Vick.

Now, he is on top of the world.

Sorry, but it makes me sick.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

did John Friedman write an opinion about the Tuskegee experiment?

some of these people will drive by a homeless man begging for a job or a smalls but will pick up a stray dog (notice how i kept race out of it, for now?)

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He's mixing up Vick with OJ... OJ is in jail and Vick did his time according to the law... frankly I'm still pi$$ edthat Martha Stewart is walking free today
      Peter R

Comment

Oh PLEEZ - tell him to go look for the woman who tossed her child from the parking garage.
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

LOL! Dem would probably say she have problems wid depression or some story like dat.

Kick a dawg though, and is straight prison fe you!
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I know people who are still upset with Vick and yes they will walk past homeless people and go adopt dogs from shelters and make them sleep in their beds too.

Yes I think i did read some where that Vick either took part in killing dogs or knew of it but when you are an active participant in these things you are aware that seriously injured dogs will be put away.

But i do agree that some people might have had other issues with him and it worst now that he will be richer than they or their entire families will ever be...
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, some groups & people are more concerned with the well being of animals than some poor person who is down on their luck. I grew up with lots of dogs & cats, and I made sure they were well taken care of etc. The venom directed towards Vick, who has paid his debt to society makes you wonder about these hypocrites. Let the man earn a living & prosper!
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I used to date this girl in Atlanta and she told me about her cat Sebastian who used to sleep in her bed at nights.

When I visited I made it plain that when I am there only one puss would be allowed in the bed and it is not the one that can lick itself
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

LOL! Some a dem serious bout them pets these days bwoy. Health insurance and all.

Comment

How about the breddah on TV dog whisperer or some crap like that..talking about dogs feelings etc...

This cat (the feline one that is) would hiss at me if i sat in a certain chair and would try to make me feel as if he was the boss until i found his Achilles heels..was afraid of thunder in storms...LOL!
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                      I used to date this girl in Atlanta and she told me about her cat Sebastian who used to sleep in her bed at nights.

When I visited I made it plain that when I am there only one puss would be allowed in the bed and it is not the one that can lick itself
                      Where's Gamma to tell you it is a FAMBILY forum
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

I Hope Jon Friedman Goes After.....

I hope Jon Friedman goes after the Humane Society Of The US, to whom Vick's team the Philadelphia Eagles paid a $50,000 ransom.

HSUS had a budget of USD $120 million last year, but only gave about $975,000 to local animal shelters. Your local animal shelter may be called a "humane society" but has no affiliation with HSUS. Now that Vick has hit the jackpot, HSUS and their CEO Wayne Pacelle will be latched onto Vick, much as a sea lamprey attatches itself to a lake trout.

Of HSUS's $120 million budget, $38.5 million was spent on payroll. HSUS spends more than $3 million per year on animal rights political issues. Pacelle, has publicly stated goal of ending all pets and animal agriculture.

HSUS' IRS forms, which are considered public documents in some states, can be viewed at www.humanewatch.com

Humane Watch has consistently advocated that if you want to help shelter animals, the best way to get the biggest bang for your money is to donate directly to your local shelter.

Comment

Yu a confess...yu likkle bow..cho.....

Comment

LOL! Never was hiding boss..you think seh a Lazie one back broad...
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

So, Sickko, mortal you would create thunder to frighten this cat?? Fraid a you!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X