No announcement yet.

The Music changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't say it lasted longer than reggae. After all neither reggae nor ska for that matter is dead.

I said as the most POPULAR form of music in JA it has been on top longer than reggae was. I might not have been clear that I was speaking in a Jamaican context and not a worldwide context.

It is worth noting though that while there are still more practitioners of reggae worldwide, most of the international hits made by Jamaicans in recent years have been more dancehall than reggae! Shaggy, Sean Paul and Junior Gong come to mind easily.

Given this reality, the idea that more than 30 years after it went mainstream (in a Jamaican context) we still think dancehall "will not last" is difficult to accept.
    Last edited by Islandman; September 1, 2011, 11:07 AM.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Thank you. I wasn't saying that at all.

Music and art forms evolve you hear boss. Sometimes all you need is a few excellent practitioners to move an art form to a level here it gets some acceptance. With all the talk about reggae one has to wonder what would have happened to it if we never had a Bob.

The other day Yankee sistren of mine in her early 30s heard some Tupac I was playing and she said "Man this was when hip-hop was MUSIC!" LOL.

And the debate continues generation to generation.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

On betting which is more recorded, I think Historian underscore the amount of Dancehall that is recorded. While I am not betting as there is no way to prove but many hiphop and dance artists including Madonna, JLO, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Mary J Blige and others have included some form of dancehall mix or heavily influenced songs. There there are so many other hip hop artist who and soca artists are trying to blend dancehall plus when you talk about Reggaeton which is simply Dancehall riddims and spanish rapping.

I think sometimes we just write things off but when they become popular we jump at it. When you see the big hits out of dancehall as you say Shaggy, marley, sean paul, "I like to move it", Ini Kamose, Shabba etc. that we will dance to and say we like it but if it nuh cross over we don't accept it.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Re: "Excellent Practitioners"

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Thank you. I wasn't saying that at all.

Music and art forms evolve you hear boss. Sometimes all you need is a few excellent practitioners to move an art form to a level here it gets some acceptance. With all the talk about reggae one has to wonder what would have happened to it if we never had a Bob.
          Islandman, I am most certainly aware that “music and art forms evolve.” On the other hand, your next sentence (which I have highlighted) hits the nail squarely on the head!!!!!!

Nothing is wrong with the idea of dancehall as a musical force, and I’ve been carefully to point out in my initial response to poster X that dancehall has a powerful rhythm. This is what I wrote: “....really strong rhythmically, but as far as intelligent melody and harmony are concerned, is ultimately utter rubbish!”

Now, looking at your statement above, if there were in reality “a few excellent practitioners,” do you think I would have been tearing dancehall apart the way I do?! The problem is that dancehall, like rap in the USA, has moved COMPLETELY out of the hands of the “excellent practitioners” of the 1950s to 1980s and into the hands of people who, in many cases, should be banned from ever entering a recording studio or going on stage!

What happened to the days when teens and men chose careers that best suited their talents, including engineering, medicine, law, carpentry, plumbing, teaching, business, masonry? Damn!

I had no opportunity to come online for the past several days, but not long from now I will reply more fully in another thread to Assasin’s post “The Music Changes.” I will also comment on Islandman’s reference to Bob in another thread.

Comment

"What happened to the days when teens and men chose careers that best suited their talents, including engineering, medicine, law, carpentry, plumbing, teaching, business, masonry? Damn!"

Wishful thinking. Bob say he is a farmer but he plays music and if people like then ......
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I Agree

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              "What happened to the days when teens and men chose careers that best suited their talents, including engineering, medicine, law, carpentry, plumbing, teaching, business, masonry? Damn!"

Wishful thinking. Bob say he is a farmer but he plays music and if people like then ......
              I know, Assasin boss, but Bob was most definitely a talented lyricist, and so he quite rightly chose a career in music. The rest is history and, of course, we are all thankful for it.

Some of these Jamaican recording artists today need to find a more fitting career, as they do not belong in the music business. In a next thread, I’ll also comment on the role of radio disc jockeys, because while there are people (like Cherine Anderson and Diana King, to cite two examples, who are world class in every sense of the phrase) who have the genuine ability to take dancehall higher, it’s the idiots that we constantly are bombarded with!

Comment

...but you did say/claim that dancehall has lasted longer than Reggae?

Rite?
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

No I did not.

"It has lasted as Jamaicas most popular music....."

Reggae was Jamaicas most popular music genre for maybe 15 years? I would say it lost that place in the mid-80s when Dancehall Night became by far the biggest draw at Reggae Sunsplash.

Comment

No I did not.

"It has lasted as Jamaicas most popular music....."

Reggae was Jamaicas most popular music genre for maybe 15 years? I would say it lost that place in the mid-80s when Dancehall Night became by far the biggest draw at Reggae Sunsplash.
                    http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/s...375#post306375

Cool, boss - I must have misunderstood????
                    I did misunderstand!
                    Last edited by Karl; September 1, 2011, 01:16 PM.
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I didn't say it lasted longer than reggae. After all neither reggae nor ska for that matter is dead.

I said as the most POPULAR form of music in JA it has been on top longer than reggae was. I might not have been clear that I was speaking in a Jamaican context and not a worldwide context.

It is worth noting though that while there are still more practitioners of reggae worldwide, most of the international hits made by Jamaicans in recent years have been more dancehall than reggae! Shaggy, Sean Paul and Junior Gong come to mind easily.

Given this reality, the idea that more than 30 years after it went mainstream (in a Jamaican context) we still think dancehall "will not last" is difficult to accept.
                      I got you! - "most POPULAR"!

Comment

I agree with a few things. Some of the artists who are recorded have no business been in anything but a practise studio. Sometimes is not that they have no talent but they have not been developed. Another thing is that many need to use proper lyricists. The fact is we are been bombarded with music and noise and it should be the work of DJ to help and pick winners but with payola, payoff etc. get in the way.

I listen far and wide and you can hear some good singles but if they are not given a little time they will never be hits. I will wait on your post on the DJ then I will comment.

Comment

I posted this before... here it is again... have to get the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZoImzA5iO4&ob=av2e
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzXn8C2eg0
                          Peter R

Comment

Working...
                          X