Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More respect for the JCF ( another good

article by Miss.Chin)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>More respect for the JCF</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Jean Lowrie-Chin
    Monday, February 05, 2007
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=80 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>Jean Lowrie-Chin</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>For me, it was the finest moment of the Jazz and Blues Festival. We were on our feet with tears in our eyes as Sanchez belted out a very special song. It was Jamaica's National Anthem. Like every exquisite work of art, each time we experience a heartfelt rendition of our anthem, we have a new awakening. The line "keep us free from evil powers" jolted me as I thought that just a few miles away, there were dens of thugs on the outskirts of our second city.<P class=StoryText align=justify>These are hardened criminals, some mere boys, wanted for not one but several counts of murder. From Mark Wignall's spine-chilling account of the exploits of a gunman named 'Shine', we know the randomness of their deadly activities. Shine and his cohorts pick up two men whose car they steal.
    They kill one because his pleading annoys them and decide to slightly wound and release the other because he resembles someone's uncle. They happen on a mother and daughter walking in Duhaney Park, abduct them and put them through unspeakable horror.<P class=StoryText align=justify>It is because of the reality of these miscreants that this column is constantly begging the country to throw our support behind our security forces. The commissioner and most of us know there are bad cops, and there are concerted efforts to deal with them. The fact is that there are bad cops all over the world. Yet nowhere in the world do I hear cops being vilified as they are in Jamaica.<P class=StoryText align=justify>We in the media should be careful that we are not swayed by propaganda, that we do not make life more dangerous for ourselves and our country. Some, if not most of the citizens we see demonstrating against police killings, are doing so for fear of their lives, and have confessed this privately to police officers.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The High Command led by the well-respected Commissioner Lucius Thomas and including top-notch local and British deputy and assistant commissioners, can stand toe to toe with their first-world counterparts. I want to ask the media and the public yet again when we read that there was a robbery at a financial institution - and we heard about two big fraud cases just last month - do we condemn the institution and refuse to do business with them?<P class=StoryText align=justify>Does this readiness to ridicule our own come from a national lack of self-esteem? We are quick to understand that the big financial institutions are not responsible for their errant employees' lapses. Yet we show no sympathy for a commissioner and his good women and men who face deathly danger on our behalf. It must be "the most unkindest cut of all" for a policeman to return from a tough night of gully-running and bullet-dodging to hear idlers mocking at police officers on the talk shows.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Only a few weeks ago, two policemen on traffic duty were gunned down by delinquent road users that they attempted to stop. No other Jamaican is exposed to this level of danger on the job, and yet no Jamaican group is more mocked and disrespected than the JCF.<P class=StoryText align=justify>I have to agree with Opposition spokesman on security Derrick Smith that our police force must get the resources that they so sorely need. Now, I am not joining the chorus on the PM's foreign travel budget because again I am wondering why certain other leaders are not as

RE: More respect for the JCF ( another good

Still More Respect For JCF (joke)

When I went to Portmore in November, I was having lunch at Mothers in Port Henderson Mall when two cops walked in. One of them said hello to me, and I said "You guys got me....I've been impersonating a Jamaican."

The other cop doubled over laughing.

Comment

Wicked one Bruce! :Laff:
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I wonder of Lowrie understands that a major problem is lack of respect exhibited by the ones with the uniform and gun for the masses ?

Unfortunately the respect she is demanding has to be earned.

If I werea resident of an inner city community what would be the basis of my respect of the Agents of the State in Jamaica ?

Response to distress calls, dutiful presence ?

Comment

In short you are saying that the people have the right to disregard the

law because of a few within their ranks? You obviously didn't read the entire article. Ben tell me where in this planet is the perfect police force? Thanks.

Comment

The problem is not disregarding the law, the problem is cooperating with the Law.

The few cannot be coralled without cooperation of the many.

There is a something called Moral Authority.., it is vital in our model of Justice System.

Your tasks for the day:

1. Figure out if the Police have it.

2. If not, figure out how they are going to achieve it.

3. Determine if the 'powers that be' have demonstrated the political will required.

Comment

Ben anybody that should be doing tasks right

now should be you (seeing that you failed to read the article entirely).

Comment

[quote]Jawge (2/5/2007)<P class=StoryText align=justify>How many reasons do we really need before we realise that we have to support our security forces? The bad cops are definitely in the minority, and still far outnumbered by the hypocrites in this society. Shine is as free as a bird, Wignall reported, his case argued by an expensive attorney paid by a big businessman for whom Shine did a "favour". And yet, it is the police that we choose to pour our scorn upon!<P class=StoryText align=justify>lowriechin@aim.com[/quote]<P class=StoryText align=justify>groan! (sleep)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have read the article.

It has nothing to offer.

You can ask for respect and you can even demand it.

Until you understand why you do not have it you are wasting people time.

Comment

Nothing to offer? please explain.

Comment

There are hardened criminals out there.

The police need money.

The police want respect and community support.

Great.. can we move on ?

Why are there hardened criminals out there ?

Why don'tthe policehave adequatemonies and resources?

Why don't the police have 'respect' and community support.

Comment

Working...
                      X