Go’v’t off-loads control of three sugar factories to Chinese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go’v’t off-loads control of three sugar factories to Chinese

The Frome Sugar Factory in Westmoreland, (Photo: The Gleaner).
    The Government has taken the final step in divesting the country's sugar factories.

The sealing of the deal means that the control of three major factories, Monymusk in Clarendon, Frome in Wesmoreland and Bernard Lodge in St. Catherine will be handed over to the Chinese company Complant.

With Monday's [August] signing, the Government has relieved itself of an industry it termed loss making.

Under the divestment deal, the new company will be leased sugar lands for a period of 49 years and will own factories and the lands immediately surrounding them.

Prime Minister Bruce Golding pointed out at Monday's signing that the deal was inked only after considerable negotiations.

"We have been very careful to ensure that the critical assets of Jamaica are protected and therefore, the hundreds of thousands of acres of lands, which have been earmarked for sugar, will be leased to the company, they’re not being sold," he said.

And the Prime Minister added that the divestment of the countries sugar assets is significant as it marks a new approach to governance being embarked on by his administration.

"It fits neatly and perfectly into Government’s overarching policy regarding the management of the economy, which is that Government must concentrate on those functions that are intrinsically and essentially Government and to leave space, encourage and facilitate private investment in those areas that are best suited for private investment. For that reason, producing sugar, mining bauxite and producing alumina are not, in our view, part of the core essential, intrinsic responsibilities of Government," Mr. Golding stated.

Land, land, land....it all ABOUT land!!!! After 400 years another 49....why bother...

Comment

They would not have bought it if it wasn't profitable.Why govt can't make money off sugar but the Chinese can?
      It seems this Govt is bent on selling everything.
      Shaw could have reduced fundings for most of the ministries and increase even slightly the one for Ministry of Education.He could at the very least not reduce it.

Comment

Govt can't make money off anything that requires some management and vision. Better them stick to collecting taxes, licenses and other fees.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

and manage the country as a whole.

Comment

COMPLANT says sugar workers will be largely Jamaican
            Luke Douglas
            Wednesday, August 17, 2011

THE management and workforce of the sugar factories sold to the Chinese company COMPLANT will be largely Jamaican, with China only providing key managers and experts, the company disclosed yesterday.
            "Chinese and local staff should integrate their cultures and management structures through a localised administration and work together to make this project a fine example of China and Jamaica cooperation," said Tang Jianguo, chief executive officer of the COMPLANT Group of Companies stated.
            Prime Minister Bruce Golding (left) hands over sugar cane plants to Tang Jianguo, chief executive officer of the COMPLANT Group of Companies to symbolise the handover of Government-held sugar industry assets to the Chinese company during a ceremony at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel yesterday. (Photo: Joseph Wellington)
            1/1
            "We will only dispatch essential senior managers and key technical experts, while the day-to-day industrial and agricultural operation will rely mostly on local staff," he added.
            Jianguo made the disclosure at the official hand-over ceremony of the Jamaican Government sugar assets at the Jamaica Pegasus yesterday.
            Tang said, as of December last year, COMPLANT began to deploy Chinese managers and personnel as well as factory and agricultural experts to the three divisions at Frome, Monymusk and Bernard Lodge in preparation for the 2011-2012 sugar crop.
            He said COMPLANT has invested over US$8 million to take care of the cane fields to lay a solid foundation for the next crop.
            He disclosed that a report plan for the 2011-12 crop had been completed and US$20 million in materials and equipment had been ordered from China, with the first shipment to arrive in September.
            The Chinese expects to develop a harmonious and cooperative relationship with all stakeholders in order to improve the sugar industry, he said.
            In his address at the handover, Prime Minister Bruce Golding expressed excitement at that prospect of the Chinese bringing their world-renowned efficiency in manufacturing to the Jamaican environment. He also hoped that COMPLANT will quickly turn a profit in order to encourage more Chinese investment and create more jobs.
            "When that caller on 'Mutty' Perkins programme proclaimed that one 'Chiney can do five smaddy work', it is not something that should make us indignant about the loss of jobs, it should cause us to look at ourselves and say what is so deficient about us," the prime minister said.
            "I make no apology about having said to COMPLANT that I want some of that culture to infect our approach to work in Jamaica, because we are in a (world that is) fiercely competitive today where becoming efficient is no longer an option."

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1VIRN0qIv

Comment

exile...why did the sugar industry fail in JA? nuh because of lack of maintainance and poor management generally?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The sugar industry has been FAILING for several decades now. Just talk to anyone who work there and them will tell you.
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

'One 'Chiney can do five smaddy work' LOL.

I hope some young Jamaicans get an opportunity to learn from the Chinese on this project. Clean house and start over me say.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i know and i have. in fact my father was at monymusk for many many years from when tate & lyle were running it ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

too much reason why the failed. From management to investment and improper techniques. Nuff family member use to work a Gray's Inn in the days. And even the community eat off and sell the cane.

There are certain thing government fi cry cree from and this is one of them. Sugar will never be efficient until in the hands of private companies. The only sad thing is it might cost the consumers more.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

it is not even the hard labour because we have some of the best cane cutters. The things that affect is are they strike every week, burn down the cane, the old machine and process that they are using to reap the cane is still 1900 and we need to sell ethonal, Rum and process sugar to make the money. Selling wet sugar is giving it away.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It is costing the consumers anyway if the govt losing millions. It is just not as visible as paying a bit more at the store.

Me fly down pon a Caribbean Airlines flight the other day, and start talk up with 2 Jamaican ladies beside me. Dem a cuss say the airline magazine a feature Trini company, only one Jamaican article inna it an why dem sell Air J.

Well, dats what happen when you sell you company. As far as me concerened dem coulda nuh publish a Jamaican article fe 10 years if it mean it nah go cost the taxpayers millions every year fe subsidise Butch and Sandals Air. We Jamaicans need fe focus pon what is important in the long term.

Comment

Leadership and discipline. Those are the core problems we have.

Comment

In construction the Mexicans are like the Chinese.The quality and attention to deatail are lacking but their speed is unmatched.The cheap salary is not a problem as it is still decent when they spend it in Mexico.With as much as ten Mexicans living together,they can afford to live anywhere they want.One can't expect Americans to accept lowering their salaries when the dynamics are so different.
                              The fact that the Chinese are sending for machines suggests what is here is inadequate.Also, their promise of hiring mostly J'cans(albeit all slated to be labourers) does not suggest the problem the PM is alluding to.Those are things the PM should have considered before making disparaging remarks about the J'can workforce.
                              Our workforce is under attack when the problem lies with the top dawgs(the leaders).

Comment

Working...
                              X