• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a nuh just poor black youth a loot

Shock over 'respectable' lives behind masks of UK rioters
    By Catriona Davies for CNN
    August 11, 2011 10:40 a.m. EDT
    Hooded youths walk past a looted department store in Clapham Junction, London, on August 8.
    Hooded youths walk past a looted department store in Clapham Junction, London, on August 8.
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Profile of accused "rather different from the one we were expecting," says Daily Telegraph
    * Accused include a student from a wealthy background and people in their 30s and 40s
    * Teaching assistant, lifeguard, charity worker and chef appear in court

RELATED TOPICS

* London
    * Riots

London (CNN) -- Before they started appearing in court, most people assumed London's rioters and looters were unemployed youths with no hope and no future.

So there was much surprise when details of the accused began to emerge, and they included some from wealthy backgrounds or with good jobs.

Those passing through London's courtrooms on Tuesday and Wednesday -- some courts sat overnight to cope with the numbers -- have included a teaching assistant, a lifeguard, a postman, a chef, a charity worker, a millionaire's daughter and an 11-year-old boy, newspapers reported.

The tabloid Sun newspaper wrote in its opinion page on Thursday of the "sick" society described by Prime Minister David Cameron: "The sickness starts on welfare-addicted estates where feckless parents let children run wild."

But its front-page headline told a different story about the accused: "Lifeguard, postman, hairdresser, teacher, millionaire's daughter, chef and schoolboy, 11."

The Daily Mail reported: "While the trouble has been largely blamed on feral teenagers, many of those paraded before the courts yesterday led apparently respectable lives."

The upmarket Daily Telegraph devoted its page three to the case of Laura Johnson, the 19-year-old daughter of a company director who pleaded not guilty to stealing £5,000 ($8,000) of electrical goods, under the headline: "Girl who has it all is accused of theft."

The newspaper said she lived in a converted farmhouse in the leafy London suburb of Orpington, Kent, with extensive grounds and a tennis court, had studied at one of the best-performing state schools in the country and now attends the University of Exeter.

Reporter Andrew Gilligan wrote in the Daily Telegraph: "Here in court, as David Cameron condemned the 'sickness' in parts of British society, we saw clearly, for the first time, the face of the riot: stripped of its hoods and masks, dressed in white prison T-shirts and handcuffed to burly security guards.

"It was rather different from the one we had been expecting."

He added of the defendants at Highbury Magistrates Court in north London: "Most were teenagers or in their early twenties, but a surprising number were older.

"Most interestingly of all, they were predominantly white, and many had jobs."

Most newspapers highlighted the case of Alexis Bailey, a 31-year-old learning mentor in an elementary school, who pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal at an electrical store in Croydon, south of London.

It was reported that Bailey surrendered to police without stealing anything.

The youngest defendant so far -- an 11-year-old boy -- also gained much attention in newspapers.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, from Romford, east of London, admitted stealing a £50 ($80) trash can from a department store, the Guardian reported.

The Daily Mail highlighted the cases of Barry Naine, a 42-year-old charity worker charged with burglary; postman Jeffrey Ebanks, 32, and his student nephew Jamal Ebanks, 18, allegedly caught in a car stuffed with electrical goods near a looted Croydon store.

It also reported that Jason Matthews, a 35-year-old new father arrested in a Tesco supermarket, told police he "was not one of the bad ones" and needed diapers for his baby; and that Christopher Heart, a 23-year-old scaffolder and father of two, shouted "sorry for the inconvenience" and broke down in tears after admitting burglary at a sports shop in east London.

Lifeguard Aaron Mulholland, 30, wept as he appeared in court accused of joining thieves in a cell phone shop, the Daily Mail reported.

The Sun reported that an organic chef, Fitzroy Thomas, 43, and his 47-year-old brother Ronald, denied smashing up a branch of the Nando's chicken restaurant chain.

The Metropolitan Police in London said on its website on Thursday that 401 people have been charged so far.

Greater Manchester Police said five men aged between 46 and 23 had already been jailed for their part in the disorder.

West Midlands Police said 26 people, including a 44-year-old man, had appeared before an overnight court session in relation to the disorder in Birmingham.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

'Upmarket Daily Telegraph'? really did not know that...Telegraph was the paper that most appealed to me when I was in London, one of my nieces who reads a lot always bought the Independent for its politics and my sister read one of the tabloids so we always had a bunch of papers around the place

One of the reasons I liked the Telegraph was its big football spread on Sunday and Monday and detail oriented approach to the EPL and Championships coverage
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

I would loot Nando's too...best food in all of England
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

you can hide your status all you want, we know you belong to the "Upper Upper" Middle class. LOL
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL! lets just say i hope one day to live like them...
          Che Guevara.

Comment

This reminds me of the Norway shooting tragedy,the shooter was called a terrorist by the media. and then that word disappeared when his race and religion were determined.What will they blame now?
            It is an interesting revelation because prosecutors are moving cases from their typical court to one that is mandated to give out far tougher sentences.What would be six months is now ten years.That will surely change now.

Comment

The interesting thing about this is that both sides will have to rewrite thier so-called analysis of what caused the riots.

Those who said it was caused by the situation that the inner city youths were experiencing will now have to modify thier story. Those who said it was caused by uneducated criminal minority groups will have to do likewise.

The reality seems to be that there was no single cause for the riots and anyone who attempts to simplify it into a single cause will have problems defending it.

Some rioters were disadvantaged youths responding to thier hopless situation, some were young people joining in the "excitement" , some were simply damn tiefs taking advantage of an opportunity, some probably were responding to peer pressure, and so on.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The perceived follies/injustice regarding the killing of young Gato in NY sparked a riot,the Rodney King verdict(believe we and not your lying eyes)sparked the LA riots.
                There are a few things about the riots in England that are being ignored by the media.It is a fact that the person killed did not shoot at the police,the bullet lodged in the officer walkie talkie came from a police gun.The parents of that person were not informed by the police...,they heard about the death on the news.The representatives from the community that went to the station were given the cold shoulders by the head of that station.The assault on a female minor by the police....
                The media coverage was anything but objective.
                Clear evidence substantiating their claims of being disenfranchised.

Comment

Poor black yute was never the case in the first place. Lets see how the justice system will respond in regards to sentencing people of similar social status to the elites.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yes but those riots were localized to the area where the injustice took place.

These British riots were different. It spread to many locations and cities, different kind of demographic mix, etc.

While the original spark was the guy who got killed in Tottenham it seems to have mutated into something different at least in some areas.

Almost like a British football hooligan scene on steriods.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                      I would loot Nando's too...best food in all of England

I saw someone with your features on TV - me think it was you
                      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        Yes but those riots were localized to the area where the injustice took place.

These British riots were different. It spread to many locations and cities, different kind of demographic mix, etc.

While the original spark was the guy who got killed in Tottenham it seems to have mutated into something different at least in some areas.

Almost like a British football hooligan scene on steriods.

HOT SUMMER DAY & NIGHT
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

David Cameron is still giving his wrenking speeches regarding the riots!
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

what that means is that there is (has been) an underlying tension buidling up so that the shooting was a flashpoint.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nah that was not me, the plan was to go later this month but rethinking that trip now
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X