X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackBerry messaging used to organize looting in London

BlackBerry messaging used to organize looting in London

BY BEATRICE FANTONI, POSTMEDIA NEWS AUGUST 8, 2011 9:40 PM

Police officers in riot gear block a road near a burning car on a street in Hackney, east London on Monday. Youths hurled missiles at police in northeast London on Monday as violence broke out in the British capital for a third night.
    Photograph by: Luke MacGregor, Reuters
    First it was revolutions, then it was riots. Smartphones are being used in London to organize looting as rioting continued Monday for the third day.

Youth in Britain's capital appeared to have used a free message service on BlackBerry mobile phones to co-ordinate attacks on shops and police.

Research In Motion, the Canadian manufacturer of BlackBerry smartphones, told Reuters it would work with British authorities.

"As in all markets around the world where BlackBerry is available, we co-operate with local telecommunications operators, law enforcement and regulatory officials. Similar to other technology providers in the U.K., we comply with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act and co-operate fully with the Home Office and U.K. police forces," said Patrick Spence, RIM's managing director for global sales.

"We feel for those impacted by this weekend's riots in London. We have engaged with the authorities to assist in any way we can," Spence said earlier in the day.

Riots broke out in north London on Saturday after a peaceful march to protest the police shooting of a young man. Hooded youths torched cars and buildings, hurled missiles at police and robbed stores.

People are quick to demonize social media — especially when property and personal safety are at risk — said Peter Chow-White, an expert in communication at Simon Fraser University in B.C. However, social media is simply a tool for criminal activity, rather than the catalyst, he told Postmedia News.

If anything, the riots in London, the Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver or even the Arab Spring in the Middle East show just how embedded social media has become in our lives, Chow-White said.

"Communication is a fundamental part of human organization," he said. When human beings want to organize — whether for good or bad reasons — they use the latest tools at hand. In the case of London, those tools include BlackBerry phones, which come with a free message service and have become more affordable for everyday people.

And while the Internet and smartphones certainly change the scale of public communication during social unrest, they do not necessarily enlarge the protest or the riot itself, Chow-White said.

Christopher Schneider, a professor of sociology at the University of British Columbia, added that even though a riot is nothing new, social media could make it easier for people to connect and make the riot unfold much faster.

"Social media is a tool that people use to communicate," Schneider said. "A hammer is a tool. You can use it to build a home. You can use a hammer to bludgeon somebody to death," Schneider said. "It's how the tool is used."

As was seen in Vancouver earlier this year when riots broke out after the Stanley Cup final, the recourse to social media in riots or other illegal activities can be partly explained by the fact that we are more and more used to living our lives in public, he added.

"When we don't see immediate consequences for the information that we put out in the world we tend to see it as not mattering," Chow-White said. But the other side of the coin is that social media can also be used as a surveillance tool.

"The data's there, it's just a matter of whether (the police) have access to the database or not," he said.

Organizing robberies and tracking down suspected rioters is not the only thing going on in social media, he added. Messaging, Twitter and Facebook also play an alternative role in getting people talking, sharing information, expressing opinions or even just checking in on each other to make sure they're OK.

With files from Reuters

bfantoni@postmedia.com

Twitter.com/bfantoni

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/BlackBerr...#ixzz1UUo2bfeZ

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Now Blackberry says they will assist the police in tracking down the looters.

Hmmm, I wonder if BB will still remain the phone of choice in Jamaica. Yuh know how wi nuh love infarmah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jamaicans naw give that up.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

There they go again. While I cannot condone violence, it is not difficult for any reasonable observer to understand the frustration of the black youths, especially black Caribbean youths in England. The difficulties they face today is no different from the racist difficulties faced by their parents and grandparents around world war II and even prior to that. Now the chickens have come home to roost and the racist politicians and citizens of England are amazed by the actions of the youths. Well, their expression of amazement is nothing but the usual expressions of white British hypocrisy that we in the former British empire have been so accustomed to. The BBC goes around the world distorting the actions of people of colour all the time, and I hope the insurrection continues in London, gets more organized and keeps the BBC occupied at home so they dont have enough resources and time to go around the world and frig with people.

Comment

Cameron and the rest of the politicians have got this all wrong. All they keep talking about is the criminality of the youth. I am yet to hear any one of them talk about the shooting of the apparently unarmed man and other instances of police brutality, part of the reason why the youth are frustrated.

Yes, it has moved away from Duggan, but it is all connected! And they better recognise!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cameron is a damn idiot as the ones who came before him. The English invented racism, and fine tuned it to a science. The American form of racism is simply a crude form of the British/ European model. They have had over 500 years to perfect it. I think its time for a black, organized insurgency in Britain. They give all kinds of concessions to immigrants from the Asian subcontinent when they react, but once blacks uprise they are seen as criminals. I wish they would riot for another 300 motre nights. I just hope that my friends, and niece and nephews who live in central London use good judgement and stay safe. Let London, Birmingham any any other city of the racist British burn. I know many well meaning people who care, but frankly I dont. Its about time. One young protester told a reporter that when 2000 of them were out protesting peacefully the news media was nowhere around. Now all of a sudden they are paying attention. What has called this sea change?. Its called insurrection. Why dont the Blackberry people interrupt the services and repoprt violent protesters in Syria, Lybia, Egypt, and north africa to the authorities?. Why did they not interrupt and report protesters in Greece to the Greek authorities?. Everyone seems to have a problem when peoples of African descent decide to rise up. Burn baby burn. Every day yu carry bucket go a well one day the bucket botttom must drop out.

Comment

it nah get better till it get worse!

a true reggadoc. the blacks must know their place and stay there, quietly. that is the mentality!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know, but the youths are going to do anything but.

I heard that idiot Cameron using the words looters, thieving, common criminals and for a minute I thought he was describing the the British behavior for the past 700 years, all these things and more by the real criminals and backed and propogandized by the Empire News Service otherwise called the BBC. The youths have a right to rise up and I hope they continue to rise up, with a sense of purpose and resolve, and dont be swayed by the names they are being called, or the criticisms of the white racists and their 5th columnists. I just hope progressive white youths will understand the pain of their black brothers and sisters and join them in what I hope will be a popular insurrection. By the way, Jamaica mey be ready for an insurrection too.

Comment

wi ready yes. the funny thing is it might be led by Caroline Gomes! i know yuh nuh waan hear dat, but she has demonstrated that she understands ghetto people more then ghetto people undastan demselves sometimes!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Blackberry hacked for assisting UK Cops

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-london-riots/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This hack is a response to this statement by RIM:

“We feel for those impacted by this weekend’s riots in London. We have engaged with the authorities to assist in any way we can. As in all markets around the world Where BlackBerry is available, we cooperate with local telecommunications operators, law enforcement and regulatory officials. Similar to other technology providers in the UK we comply with The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act and co-operate fully with the Home Office and UK police forces.”

Dear Rim;
                      You Will _NOT_ assist the UK Police because if u do innocent members of the public who were at the wrong place at the wrong time and owned a blackberry will get charged for no reason at all, the Police are looking to arrest as many people as possible to save themselves from embarrassment…. if you do assist the police by giving them chat logs, gps locations, customer information & access to peoples BlackBerryMessengers you will regret it, we have access to your database which includes your employees information; e.g – Addresses, Names, Phone Numbers etc. – now if u assist the police, we _WILL_ make this information public and pass it onto rioters…. do you really want a bunch of angry youths on your employees doorsteps? Think about it…. and don’t think that the police will protect your employees, the police can’t protect themselves let alone protect others….. if you make the wrong choice your database will be made public, save yourself the embarrassment and make the right choice. don’t be a puppet..

p.s – we do not condone in innocent people being attacked in these riots nor do we condone in small businesses being looted, but we are all for the rioters that are engaging in attacks on the police and government…. and before anyone says “the blackberry employees are innocent” no they are not! They are the ones that would be assisting the police

- TriCk – TeaMp0isoN -
                      - Greets To: iN^SaNe – Hex00010 – MLT – BlackHacker

- Knowledge is Power . . . . .

Twitter: @TeaMp0isoN_

- TriCk

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

fraid a dem! i'm sure they would understand though if Blackberry wanted to check Liad Bruce's phone.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          This hack is a response to this statement by RIM:

“We feel for those impacted by this weekend’s riots in London. We have engaged with the authorities to assist in any way we can. As in all markets around the world Where BlackBerry is available, we cooperate with local telecommunications operators, law enforcement and regulatory officials. Similar to other technology providers in the UK we comply with The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act and co-operate fully with the Home Office and UK police forces.”

Dear Rim;
                          You Will _NOT_ assist the UK Police because if u do innocent members of the public who were at the wrong place at the wrong time and owned a blackberry will get charged for no reason at all, the Police are looking to arrest as many people as possible to save themselves from embarrassment…. if you do assist the police by giving them chat logs, gps locations, customer information & access to peoples BlackBerryMessengers you will regret it, we have access to your database which includes your employees information; e.g – Addresses, Names, Phone Numbers etc. – now if u assist the police, we _WILL_ make this information public and pass it onto rioters…. do you really want a bunch of angry youths on your employees doorsteps? Think about it…. and don’t think that the police will protect your employees, the police can’t protect themselves let alone protect others….. if you make the wrong choice your database will be made public, save yourself the embarrassment and make the right choice. don’t be a puppet..

p.s – we do not condone in innocent people being attacked in these riots nor do we condone in small businesses being looted, but we are all for the rioters that are engaging in attacks on the police and government…. and before anyone says “the blackberry employees are innocent” no they are not! They are the ones that would be assisting the police

- TriCk – TeaMp0isoN -
                          - Greets To: iN^SaNe – Hex00010 – MLT – BlackHacker

- Knowledge is Power . . . . .

Twitter: @TeaMp0isoN_

- TriCk

I'm LUVING it!!
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

You right Mo.

Comment

not sure it works that way.. quite sure it does not..

Comment

Working...
                              X