X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Tufton's decisive handling of the scrap metal fiasco

Dr Tufton's decisive handling of the scrap metal fiasco
    Thursday, July 28, 2011

WE'RE still trying to wrap our minds, with great difficulty, around how people can so wantonly steal scrap metals, thus putting the country's infrastructure in jeopardy.
    Bridges? Water pipes? Telephone cables? Railway lines? Gates? Road signs? Not even the dead is spared as these worthless scavengers dig up graves in order to rob the coffins of metal handles.
    The international trade in scrap metals, fanned by rapid development in places like China, Brazil, India and Russia, has proven irresistible to our local dealers, some of whom are legitimately licensed but many of whom are also not.
    In the same way that sand is mined illegally to the detriment of the environment, some of these dealers could not care less about the well-being of Jamaica, as long as they can satisfy their thirst for scrap metals. According to estimates, they have illegally removed $1 billion worth of metals in three years.
    Soon no home, school, hospital, police station or any other institution where metal is to be found in their structure will be safe. Airports even.
    We may be slow in the cranium, but we're finding it hard to understand why former Industry Minister Mr Karl Samuda is opposed to the scrap metal ban.
    Mr Samuda said he had left a well laid plan for his successor, Dr Christopher Tufton when he vacated office and he was confident that it could work to ferret out the illegal dealers while protecting the legitimate operators.
    With all due respect, the illegal trade mushroomed under Mr Samuda's watch. After the lifting of the temporary ban that he imposed, the scrap metal thieves returned with a vengeance. What did the former minister want to see happen before he could be convinced that the country's future was at stake? The vandalising of aeroplanes, ambulances?
    Of course, Mr Samuda is well intentioned. But he should know that the wheels of government grind slowly and all the scrap metals might be removed long before his measures work. In the meantime, things like bridges might come crashing down.
    Another side of the equation is the role of the legitimate dealers in protecting their industry. Ordinary people don't know who is honest and who is not. We believe that it was the duty of the licensed dealers to provide information to the police about the activities of their illegal competitors. Surely they must know something.
    The Scrap Metal Federation can't be satisfied with simply pursuing the narrow interests of its 25 members, without regard for the larger interest of the nation.
    Minister Tufton has acted decisively to protect Jamaica's welfare, a refreshing approach given our history of vacillating until the horse has bolted through the gate. For that, he has our support.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...#ixzz1TPRTbmnm

Comments (8)

Winston G
    7/28/2011
    On one hand, govt must be careful how it makes "populist" decisions. On the other hand, as servants of the people, the govt must heed to the will of the people - and it is clear that the great majority of Jamaicans wanted this ban - as such - that is yet another reason Dr. Tufton's decision must be applauded.
    tickyticky fish
    7/28/2011
    I support Dr. Tufton.
    Petros Haile
    7/28/2011
    Well, the airports were not spared as there are reports to the police of the worthless crooks stealing the posts from the perimeter fence which protects the airport property. I therefore agree with Dr. Tufton. Mr. Samuda was simply unable to handle the challenge of the ban - there is no interest greater than that of the majority of Jamaican people. Nuff said
    Nancy Ndola
    7/28/2011
    4 weeks after installing chain link spending over million dollars, the scrap thieves struck, stealing all the the long pipes except 10. So YES YES !!, Tufton you are RIGHT and we support you.
    Great editorial.
    2kool .
    7/28/2011
    I've said it all along that Mr. Samuda is the worst performing minister in this administration. Under his administration there were barely any new investments, Jampro is barely limping along, no development of the Cayamans as promised, the IT sector remains stagnant and under his watch JA lost a billion dollars to scrap metal to thieves and he seems upset that the industry was shut down.
    Lionel Gayle
    7/28/2011
    Dr. Tufton has my support too, despite my distance from the Rock.
    I was a bit disappointed with the temporary ban, especially after it was announced that the "iron hearts" had stolen $1B worth of metal products over a three-year period.
    And the situation seemed to have reached a low ebb after the metal thieves raided the cemetery and robbed the dead.
    I am happy the minister has revised his directive on the ban.
    In another matter, I hope the farmers are better organised against praedial larceny .
    Lionel Gayle
    7/28/2011
    Dr, Tufton has my support too, despite my distance from the Rock. When he announced the recent temporary ban on the trade I was a bit disappointed, especially after it was reported that over a three-year period the "iron hearts" had stolen $1B worth of metal products.
    I am happy he had revised his first directive.
    In another area, I hope the agricultural industry is now better organised to deal with praedial larceny.
    Yours truly
    Jay Brown
    7/28/2011
    Mr Editor I am full support of your editorial today !!

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/edito...#ixzz1TPRtjYX2

Comment

Interesting tactic.. try and convince the raiders that the industry is dead so no point stockpiling as occurs in a moratorium.

Comment

Working...
      X