X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good venture Mr. Crawford

Deals galore!
    Jamaican company facilitates discounts, packages for top resorts for locals

JAMAICANS desirous of spending weekends in some of the country's most luxurious hotels will soon be able to do so at heavily discounted rates.

Couples could pay as low as $14,000 per weekend stay and a family of four could pay $20,000 for a similar vacation.

Normally, it would cost a way lot more for weekend hotel stays, but Damion Crawford, who, through his Yard Travel initiative, has devised a unique price buster. "We are a vacation facilitation company; we are like a local Hotwire orlast-minute.com company," said Crawford.

The businessman, who lectures in marketing at the University of the West Indies, Mona, noted that Jamaicans should experience the country. "They should want to see the best property, should want to experience the best attraction and if they that can do so at half the price, why not," Crawford said of his new venture.

Crawford says he will be a reservation centre, which will facilitate persons who are not holders of credit cards.

He has described his venture as a local Hotwire that seeks out unoccupied rooms in hotels and offers them to the public. "We get the rooms at cheaper rates and we sell it to the clients at the cheaper rate," Crawford said, noting that in some cases the rooms may be sold as low as 40 per cent of cost.

He told Hospitality Jamaica that not only is there a need on the demand side, but the hoteliers themselves have a need to maximise revenue.

"The hotels have a yield that they need to manage, especially with the seasonal realities that exist. A hotel, when it does not book the room, loses revenue and so something needs to be done to ensure the properly maximises its revenue," said Crawford, who holds a master's degree in management and has been teaching the discipline to university students for the last six years.

He claims to have detected excitement from hoteliers while pitching his business idea to them. "They have been trying to have a sustained approach to getting the local market and this one is a systematic solution, it covers all the angles that exist."

Crawford said Yard Travel has already signed up six Jamaican properties and is in the process of signing up many more. He said the first batch of rooms will become available on July 27. Members of the public will be able to get a listing of rates and hotels rooms through the website yardtravel.com and by way of advertisements.

vacation loans
    Crawford said his company will also be making travel loans of up to J$50,000 per vacation, repayable within 12 months at an interest rate of 20 per cent per annum.

"This rate is lower than what banks lend for non-collateral loans, which is 24 per cent," argues Crawford.

The innovative Yard Travel businessman had added a component of transportation for Jamaicans who book with his company. In collaboration with Knutsford Express, vacationers only need to turn up with their bags and Yard Travel will ensure they get to their resort.
    Last June, Camille Needham, executive director of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA), in a letter to the association members endorsed the concept after meeting with the travel facilitation company boss.

"Since March 2010 Mr Crawford has been in communication with the JHTA about his Company, which seeks to assist hotels and other accommodations by marketing unsold inventory. We believe that such a service can be of great assistance to you in your efforts to efficiently manage your yield. We fully endorse the concept," a section of the letter read.

News of the launch has been welcomed by new JHTA President Evelyn Smith, who says it's a fantastic venture, which she expects will do well.
    Last edited by Karl; July 26, 2011, 09:36 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Hmm....and I thought I got a deal at US$200/nite...better bet is to rent a Villa..comes with housekeeping, cook, bartender....sm all-incl sm you buy your own food and it s prepared for you.....yard style.

Comment

Can't go wrong with the Villa thing.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Yes you can...first time I rented one...turned out be a house...not a Villa...not very comfy at all...but it was a time-share....if anybody want links to a good deal in Runaway Bay...link me...not my place...not making any profit...just a great place...good price..on the beach..

Comment

so what if you were making a profit? I would have like that better.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yu no know seh the site rules say no ads? LOL.
            Sas tourism getting hit on N. coast contrary to what you may hear..at least in the non all inclusive sector. Many SME's closing down, standards falling...quality of product down...

Comment

been like that for a while. the smaller ones who can't adapt and raise standard will have a hard time. The AI prices came down but now it is going back up so there will be some breathing room for the ones that can adapt. The JTB use to help the small Villas sell themselves back in the 80s but that stop long time. The villas have to come together and find a way to market themselves.

There are some nice villas in Cardiff hall.

Comment

Stayed in "one not so nice" sm years ago. Had potential but not there yet. They seem to have a shared beach - next to Breezes - which is good....
                Had sm dinner by a 'restaurant' on the stretch (beach side)....3 people got instant food poisoning....not good...and still charge Ja 15,000. Dem no serious at all. But it ruff...

Comment

I know that beach very well. We use to go down there on a daily basis when I went to HEART training school. I worked temp at Breezes when it was Jamaica Jamaica. HEART have a decent resturant on Cardiff Hall. Nothing much in Runaway Bay.

Some serious entertainment and good local resturant could get some visitor from the AIs in that area.

Comment

Very true...let me share another experience..a brethren and I went to a local supermarket (LHS towards Mobay) after Breezes...a few breakfast things, sm water, chicken and sm parts....I estimated about US$100 0r so....cashier with a straight face said "$24,000" and sm dollars. We were shocked. I said "check it again". Immediately she found the error "Oh me check too much water, $9,000".
                    Tek man fi idiat.

Comment

Working...
                    X