The truth about Dancehall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about Dancehall

Danchall as a art form is fine. The fact is we blame a lot on the music and society as a whole when we should look at our policy maker. Let us take a look at the last few years. many irresponsible artists were making many irresponsible music that were played and bleep out by some sort of responsible DJs. Now with one simple enforcement of policy by the media people that now stop.

Music was played till all hours of the night, and note this was not only in the dancehall but at funerals, reggae shows and others but a simple law put an end to it.

The effect that the law that artist can't curse on stage made a dent and remember that even RKelly and other artists have done very leud things on stage in Ja. The fact that kids are in the dancehall is not a new problem but one since I was a kid, and hopefully it will solve some problems in Ja. Now some artist can't cuss Bman them have to find other lyrics.

Red Stripe and others pull their sponsorship but now they are back on board with the same artists including Mavado and Vibes Kartel etc. on shows because the artist now understand their responsibilities.

The fact is when you look Shaggy new single "Sugar Cane" has gotten over 1 million hits on youtube in 2 months. He is on Jay Leno and others. That is dancehall at its best.

The fact is dancehall is a good music form and if you notice other foriegn artists have included either a dancehall mix, or dancehall phrase in some of their music. This include Madonna, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Alicia Keyes amongst others.

The fact is if you know me I am more of cultural, lovers rock person but I won't fight down the art form and I use to enjoy some good "water pumping" and "rub a dub". I don't really care for lewd music and when I work with any aritst, I ask them for a story behind the music and try to make sure they are on key with a good punch line.

Another thing we try not to look at is when artists such as Shaggy and Capleton and what they have given back it is amazing. We know about Shaggy p[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']hilanthropy to Children's Hospital, but Capleton has is "St. Mary Mi Come From" show which donates to hospitals, schools, youth clubs including police youth club. Josie Wales also donated an ambulance after he was shot and nearly died.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Yes we talk about the bad but let us talk about the good but let us not blame the artists for our policy makers short comming and failure to set basic laws and implement them. I personally admire all form of Jamaican music because for a little country we certainly have made a lot of musical noise.[/FONT]
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X