Is American sports in decline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is American sports in decline?

This year, for the first time ever, the USA men's soccer team lost in the group stage of the Gold Cup competition. To Panama! Yes, they did exact some revenge on them later in the tournament and the Americans did go on to make the final. But what a walloping they took from Mexico, in their backyard! It was such a beating that even the English language was banned in the stadium as the match wound down! And one Freddy Adu should have been up for FIFA Player of the Year if you believed the reports when he came on the scene seven years ago.

Then the American women's soccer team also lost a match for the first time in the group stage of their recent World Cup. Yes, they too got to the final, scratching and scraping to get by the Asafa-like Brazil team. But they lost to Japan, a team they had manhandled, well, handled quite easily on many previous encounters.

The USA's U-20 men's team did not qualify for their World Cup. The U-17 team was far from impressive at theirs. These are teams that have all sorts of money, camps and international friendlies thrown their way from year to year. The upward progress that was so evident 5 or 10 years ago, just seemed to have hit an iceberg! Even I had started to believe that the USA men's team could win the World Cup by the time the Cup melts in Qatar. Something tells me they, the USSF, have gone back to the drawing board.

Then there is tennis. In the 80s, and much of the 90s, Americans dominated tennis, especially men's tennis. Never mind the crashers like Lendl, Edberg, Graf and few more, the USA would always have the most players in the top 20. Connors, McEnroe, Agassi, Sampras, Navratilova (yes, she represented USA for most of her life), Capriati, Davenport and others kept the star-spangled banner flying high at tournaments around the world. These days, if it weren't for the Bryan brothers in doubles, you'd think they boycotted the events.

Even golf has seen some major American decline, especially since Tiger's misfortunes. Whatever happened to the rising American stars, knocking at Tiger's door? People like Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk and some youngster whose name I have forgotten, having not heard it mentioned in years! When last has an American won a major golf tournament?

Should we even touch on T&F?

Okay, Zeppo, we await your long list of sports still being dominated by the USA. American football does not count!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

some Mark Twain might be appropriate here...

Comment

basketball, the nfl .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Sorry, Maudib. Mi canna cross dis one. whey yuh seh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Comment

oh, that!

hey, 10 years from now, when Sista P is in her 2nd term, let's see if their decline was a great exaggeration.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I don't tink Sistah P can get pregnant at her advanced age....

Comment

Decline no, it has hit its zenith , as other nations develop the obvious will happen they will be defeated.Other nations have yet to reach that zenith, i.e Jamaica.

That said development is continual , you dont develop it , you loose it.Jamaica can testify to that.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

They are certainly not nearly as dominant as they were say two decades ago.

Maybe it is to be expected as there is so much money to be made in just about every professional sport these days that athletes from other countries have options they did not have before. Track and Field is a good example of that.

Most of thier elite athletes still play basketball and American football though, thats still where the most glory is. I can't see them going all the way in a sport like soccer unless that changes.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Definately lost some steam. But a so the world go round. They will rebound. Football, Tennis, and other. Remember when a only Black man did dominate boxing now a pure Mexican, Phillipino and European rule it.

I remember when people wanted to learn tennis they headed to America, now they are heading to Russia and Spainl
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      This year, for the first time ever, the USA men's soccer team lost in the group stage of the Gold Cup competition. To Panama! Yes, they did exact some revenge on them later in the tournament and the Americans did go on to make the final. But what a walloping they took from Mexico, in their backyard! It was such a beating that even the English language was banned in the stadium as the match wound down! And one Freddy Adu should have been up for FIFA Player of the Year if you believed the reports when he came on the scene seven years ago.

Then the American women's soccer team also lost a match for the first time in the group stage of their recent World Cup. Yes, they too got to the final, scratching and scraping to get by the Asafa-like Brazil team. But they lost to Japan, a team they had manhandled, well, handled quite easily on many previous encounters.

The USA's U-20 men's team did not qualify for their World Cup. The U-17 team was far from impressive at theirs. These are teams that have all sorts of money, camps and international friendlies thrown their way from year to year. The upward progress that was so evident 5 or 10 years ago, just seemed to have hit an iceberg! Even I had started to believe that the USA men's team could win the World Cup by the time the Cup melts in Qatar. Something tells me they, the USSF, have gone back to the drawing board.

Then there is tennis. In the 80s, and much of the 90s, Americans dominated tennis, especially men's tennis. Never mind the crashers like Lendl, Edberg, Graf and few more, the USA would always have the most players in the top 20. Connors, McEnroe, Agassi, Sampras, Navratilova (yes, she represented USA for most of her life), Capriati, Davenport and others kept the star-spangled banner flying high at tournaments around the world. These days, if it weren't for the Bryan brothers in doubles, you'd think they boycotted the events.

Even golf has seen some major American decline, especially since Tiger's misfortunes. Whatever happened to the rising American stars, knocking at Tiger's door? People like Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk and some youngster whose name I have forgotten, having not heard it mentioned in years! When last has an American won a major golf tournament?

Should we even touch on T&F?

Okay, Zeppo, we await your long list of sports still being dominated by the USA. American football does not count!
                      So the fact that the USA has won more olympic medals (303) than any other country since the 2000 games doesn't matter I guess?

btw They have declined in the sprints not T&F.

So when you a come back a Brooklyn fi tek een some go go inna a Bed Stuy? U know the gyal dem a Pally can not compete with the yanks

Comment

Scaly, a whey yuh come fram? Olympics a sports? Archery, rhythmic gymnastics and synchro...Scaly!!!

Yes, I will be happy to be the judge of Bed Stuy vs Palais (not Pally!).

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Wait, yuh deh talk bout upscale Bed-sty? cafes, suchi bars? Gimme de address?

Comment

DWL unuh two a di bestest to rhatid!!!!
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I will never give up my beloved Palais Royal or Gemini (Mosiah dem still de bout?) or Shades for any strip club in north america. Sue's not bad though.
                              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X