Ortanique - Its True Origins,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortanique - Its True Origins,

ORTANIQUE - ITS TRUE ORIGINS, Posted by: Bev (ID *****6196) Date: May 24, 2011 at 17:11:39 of 6511
    The ORTANIQUE PLANT AND FRUIT was developed by a Jamaican, DAVID DANIEL PHILLIPS, JP, of Davyton District in the parish of Manchester,Jamaica, and later of the Blue Mountain District in the same parish. The area is about ten miles from Mandeville, the capital of the parish; five miles from Williamsfield, and two miles from Bellefield. The parish of Manchester's most famous product is the ortanique. The ortanique is also one of Jamaica's most important money-earners.

The name of this seedless, extremely juicy fruit was coined by combining the words "orange, tangerine and unique" by D.D. Phillips, who had previously created the "Ugli" plant and fruit. The ortanique fruit was created specially for export by years of experimentation by D. D. Phillips.

I am tired of seeing and hearing about THE ORTANIQUE FRUIT AND PLANT being (A) developed (and/or created) by Charles P. Jackson of Chellaston Property, Manchester, circa 1920; OR (B) developed by the chance cross-fertilization of fruits by birds or bees. The fruit was being exported to England, the United States of America, New Zealand, Panama and Costa Rica, by D. D. Phillips, from the latter part of the 19th century and therefore, long before World War 1 (which began in June 1914 and ended in November 1918)). D. D. Phillips, who was not a selfish gentleman, was kind enough to share his ideas, invention and information with Charles P. Jackson of Chellaston property; John G. Miller, JP, Businessman of Mandeville, (and Plantation Owner of several plantations in Manchester); Thomas A. S. Manley, Produce Dealer and Owner of Roxborough Property (i.e. part of the Roxbro' Estate); William George Hogg Wilson II, JP, (aka W. G. Hogg Wilson), Plantation Owner of Ayr, Hartham, Great Valley, Canoe Valley, Melrose Plantations, Manchester, and Businessman of Park Cresent, Mandeville; and Louis Oscar Heron, Plantation Owner and Horse Breeder of Russell Place, Hope, and Broadleaf Plantations, Manchester, among others.

Many persons including the Swabys of Manchester; the Sharpes of Trout Hall, Clarendon; and the McConnells of St. Catherine, got their seedlings and plants from David Phillips' citrus nursery in Manchester.

How could Jackson be the inventor or the namer of the fruit? Jackson declared himself the inventor (and namer)of this citrus fruit in 1946 during World War 2, when shipping of fruits to overseas countries was extremely difficult, thus causing Phillips' citrus export business to crash. You should note that Jackson was able to get monetary loans to grow large quantities of fruits, and to develop his properties, where Phillips wasn't. (You should note that World War 2 started in 1938 and ended in 1945). In 1944, the then-newly-formed Citrus Growers' Association took over purchasing from the growers, while the United Fruit Co. took over the fruit export to overseas markets. In more recent times (the 19990s), ortanique is one of the juices being bottled in Jamaica (for local and foreign consumption) by Trade Winds Co. of St. Catherine, Jamaica, under the label "TruJuice" - Ortanique juice.

D. D. Phillips, a coloured man of bi-racial parentage, that is, the product of a white man and the daughter of a Black enslaved woman, needs to take his right place in Jamaican History, in particular, and World History in general.

FEW BLACK INVENTORS HAVE BEEN GIVEN CREDIT FOR THEIR INVENTIONS, AND THEY WERE EXCLUDED FROM ACCESSING FINANCE AND RECOGNITION BY THE THEN-COLONIAL GOVERNMENT, AND THEREFORE, MARGINALIZED BY THE COLONIAL SYSTEM.

D. D. Phillips was recognized by the Jamaican Agricultural Society (JAS), as the inventor of the ortanique plant and fruit, in 1939. It should also be noted that in 1966, when an ortanique plant and seedlings were presented as one of the Jamaican Government's gifts to the Ethiopian Emperor, Haile Selaisse, only then was Mr. D. D. Phillips, recognized internationally as the fruit's inventor.

David Daniel Phillips,JP, (Politician, Church Leader, Land Developer, Agriculturalist, Senior Lay Magistrate, and sometimes Acting Custos Rotolurum) died in 1955, and it is time for him to be fully recognized by JAMAICA, and the WORLD as the creator of the ortanique plant and fruit.

TRULY A VISIONARY AND A MAN BEFORE HIS TIMES,

I welcome comments at any time.

Sincerely
    Bev.

Not unbelievable as from dem time deh - a suh di ting did set!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Very glad you posted this:

I was born in Savanna-la Mar but regard myself as a naturalized Manchesterian.

I lived in Knockpatrick, on Wesley road in Mandeville, Williamsfield, Davyton District and worked during my teenage years at Bellefield...so know a little about the Ortanique.

What I do know is that the ORTANIQUE is the very best cultivar of Citrus I have ever eaten. Seems like every home in Manchester has at least one plant ....

As to who developed this incredible fruit...I don't know the facts.

The opportunity (I think) now presents itself for research to be done to establish the facts. It must be done scientifically.

Plant (and animal) breeding involves a thorough knowledge of genetics. Scientific record keeping is the basis of making claim of any new cultivar.

Just listing names (as the presenter has done) is not sufficient to establish ownership.

I would love to read a scientific paper--published in...say the Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science on the topic that establishes the true developer.

Darn...I would love to have an Ortanique right now!!!
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I always look forward to getting ORTANIQUE at Porus Train station, I need to know where I could get some seedlings to plant.Bev is from the Heron family descendant, I took this article from a genealogy site.

Comment

Just don't seem this variety of citrus does well in the plains.....
          It likes the cool mountains like the coffee from that area.

I am sure you can remember when a vibrant Nursery (run by the Forestry Departmant) at the round-about at Williamsfield. Well Ortanique seedlings were available there. Don't seem like that nursery is still in operation.

BTW: Porus the "orange capital of the world" is a disappointment. Two years ago I passed the area...there were no fruit stand present.

HL

Comment

Re: Porus the orange capital of the world

Please revisit. The fruit stands are still around.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

mi know yuh love orange...

Comment

Ugli fruit blows away Ortanique, as does Parson Brown orange!

Comment

I see you have not sampled this incredible unique citrus Willi.

Remember we are not comparing apples to oranges now. It's orange to orange.

I would rank the cultivar Valencia as a better tasting citrus to both Parson Brown and Ugli.

Oh...and BTW...you have to taste the Ortanique in Manchester to know what you have been missin'

HL

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                    I always look forward to getting ORTANIQUE at Porus Train station, I need to know where I could get some seedlings to plant.Bev is from the Heron family descendant, I took this article from a genealogy site.
                    Contact RADA nuh
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

di likkle brutes are the best ..... btw CLARENDON is orange country ... trouthall, danks savoy, morgans pass....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well.. I for one can rest easy now...

Comment

can you? can you REALLY?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

ok.. easier...

Comment

thank you ....

Comment

Working...
                              X