No announcement yet.

17,000 take the train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they are paid passengers I think the minister was hinting at revenue generated, which is the only way to look at it.
    Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
    Mitty

Comment

di man juss a state di facts..

who waan spin a story and suggest some sort of deception.. ah fi dem prerogative dat...

Di comrade crew in full force but dem ah dead man walking...

Comment

Suh Me seh Long time, we can call one route McGregor Loop, Edge of Sandy Gully, Barbican CDrosstown, Trivoli turn Around, Long Mountain....

Comment

I prefer On-demand Ultra-Light Rail.. think of a horizontal elevator system and instead of floors you have destinations.

Comment

Ok JLP Blindfold Mauib, I know you cudnt get it but let me dumb it down for you.
            1)There was no mention about Revenues
            2) I, as a reader would like to know how much of the community the train serves..is it 1000? based on how they are calcing it would suggest that the 2000 a day means 1000 taking it back and forth or even less? So the question then becomes does it make sense to invest in a railroad that serves 1000 commuters?
            I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying this is one of the questions that should be asked? That was my point about the 17,000 people travelling on the railraod vs. 1000? Total different view..Mi Glad I have some education and not stupid enuff to just absorb all the stupidness that comes out of the mouths of ignorant people...nuh wonder some JA people suh fool..critical thinking, use unuh brain

Comment

"Jamaicans really know how to exaggerate stuff or his jus fool dem fool"

Who are you directing this to ?

It seems like a criticism.. just not clear who yuh criticizing..

Comment

That was not your original complaint.. you just need to be consistent.. try that first.. I can only address what you post.

Comment

With the Chinese the one mantra that we must adopt is that we have to think big. They are not constrained by what we have been educated to belive are "practicalities". Dem gwine blow wi mind.

Yuh nuh see dem build highway bridge over open sea??

We used to thinking or...they will introduce us to AND.

Comment

Mi nuh fallah Chiney.. mi fallah Valley...

Comment

It is typical of the way they estimate usage though and may even say people as opposed to passengers. For example, a few nights ago we had a thunderstorm with high winds which knocked out power lines for quite a lot of people. The news reported that one area had 250,000 people who were without power. I am sure they are not counting actual people here, but households. It would be certainly more accurate to say 250K households instead of 250K people just as it would be more accurate to say 17K passengers instead of 17K people.

News get reported like that all the time. It is not only in Jamaica this happens.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

There is a subtlety here also which is beyond the average reporter in Jamaica.. this has to do with sentence structure and what is the subject and the object.

Saying a train carried 10,000 people over a week is not the same thing as saying 10,000 people took the train over a week.

The reporter miss-represented what the Minister said in quotes...

Quality of reporting really needs to be improved in Jamaica.

Comment

Thanks Maudib. I wasn't criticizing Henry at all. As I said, I applaud the efforts and I hope the good work continues. I just read the report and wondered how accurate it was based on how it was written.

Comment

Working...
                          X