New Bail Act may be in breach of the Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bail Act may be in breach of the Constitution

It appears that one of the Government's anti-crime legislations will be phased out as it may be in breach of Jamaica's Constitution.
    Three bills were introduced last year in an effort to stem crime, but they have generated controversy because of the wide powers they give to the security forces.
    The bills contain a clause which enables Parliament to carry out a review and decide this year whether to continue with them.
    However, it seems that the Bail Interim Provisions for Specified Offences Act, which provides for the extended detention of suspects for certain crimes, will not be renewed.
    According to Senator Dwight Nelson, the Minister of National Security, the Act may be inconsistent with the new Charter of Rights.
    "What the new Charter of Rights says is that a person must be offered bail once he’s charged with an offence (and) that places the Bail Act in a new light. So, we’re continuing consultations and getting further advise on this because it would appear that under the new Charter of Rights, the Bail Act would be unconstitutional," Senator Nelson said.
    He added that information is being sought from the police to ascertain whether the Acts were effective.
    Once the data become available, Senator Nelson will meet with concerned groups.
    "I'm hoping that before July 22, (which) is the last date for renewal of the bill, I’ll be able to sit down with the concerned organizations and satisfy them by way of the data provided," said Senator Nelson, who was speaking Tuesday evening, July 12, on RJR’s daily current affairs discussion programme Beyond The Headlines.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Petah set di Trend.. well PJ actually but Petah tek it up a notch.. "The law is not a shackle.."

Comment

Really think something is wrong with your Brain Muadib. I guess it's next to impossible for you to read something and not see the JLP as the winner from it.
      If this is true, can you see how incompetent and careless the lunatics in parliament are? Seriously, this Charter of rights enacted recently...while the Bail Act was effective...Are you saying that no one including Mr "I cant Recall Nelson" didn't see this coming? Only in JA..sometimes I wonder, The Brain drain JA suffers have left it with a bunch of incompetent loosers who can't see beyond where they sit

Comment

is me sign di illegal MOU ?

is me draft di legislation ?

how my brain come innah dis ?

Comment

what illegal MOU? Yuh mean di same one dat is in effect unda di JLP govt? dah one deh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

suh wait.. wheh yuh tink.. all wi haffi duh is cross out Petah name ?

Di Spy tie wi up good and propah.. soon sort out di mess doh.. nuh worry..

Comment

do it quick before him come back in fi set up more a dem.

Hero Peter Phillips!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

come back in ?

lol ! woooiiiiieee !

How long now yuh move to Egypt ?

Comment

Working...
                X