RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This debt ceiling thing getting more interesting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This debt ceiling thing getting more interesting.

Obama digging in and not budging, and he should not. I think he can win the PR battle that lies ahead. In the end public opinion will swing this one way or the other.

I might haffe put together some money to buy some cheap stocks if panic sets in during the next few weeks.

Gold $2000/oz its way?

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_894416.html

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama declared on Monday there would be no deal on raising the government's debt limit if Republicans won't compromise, and he said he would not sign a short-term extension – raising the stakes on volatile negotiations with the clock ticking toward an Aug. 2 deadline.

"I don't see a path to a deal if they don't budge. Period," the president said in a challenge to his political opponents, accusing Republicans of having a "my way or the highway" posture on taxes.

Before heading to the White House for a fresh round of negotiations, House Speaker John Boehner said he agreed that "we cannot allow our nation to default on our debt."
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

You don't get the impression he will be blamed ..... the teabaggers can claim its the first this has happened and its under his watch.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It won't get that far. Somebody is going to blink at some point.

John Public nuh really start pay attention yet. Wait till him hear say him SS check might get held up for a while.

The Dems have to make it clear that the GOP would rather see a default than to raise taxes on billionaires. Tax rates that are the lowest in decades. If them can't win that debate then them have big problems.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        It won't get that far. Somebody is going to blink at some point.

John Public nuh really start pay attention yet. Wait till him hear say him SS check might get held up for a while.

The Dems have to make it clear that the GOP would rather see a default than to raise taxes on billionaires. Tax rates that are the lowest in decades. If them can't win that debate then them have big problems.
        Wait ... winning the debate is one thing ... The Crier have a set of people that represent the Tea Party ... they don't care. I saw a clip where Eric Cantor is taking a hard line, its as if they don't wanna negotiate.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yeah, he is digging in, but the Repubs will never vote to raise taxes. With the wars winding down, the defence budget for them is also off the table. This is what you get when the people elect extremists to congress.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Now you see why I was mad at Obama in Jan. These republicans don't want to give up nothing.

Not to say we need wide scale tax rise but them need to give. If we had the current tax break reduction Obama talking bout and the Bush tax cut on the riches two percent then at least 1/3 of the deficit would be gone in no time.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Never is not a word I would associate with politicians. Them routinely check where the wind is blowing and respond accordingly. All them need is a way fe spin it fe save face.

Comment

So far Obama doing a good job selling and the public is on his side. If Obama cut medicare and no hike in taxes he can kiss the presidency goodbye. No way he is going to win Florida, Ohio, and other vital states with a older population.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The man haffe pick his battles. Timing is everything.

Comment

well him have it now. Him better don't fold. The Democrats supporter looking to get something out of this, not just them feel the brunt of the cuts.

The difference is this time he has kept both sides engaged. The last time upon till the day before he was saying something else, and even his dems were suprised about it. He had people pushing for one thing and then did another.

Comment

There are not enough votes for a tax increase. Unlikely to occur.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

From the blogs

NY Times blog

I'm aghast at reports that President Obama raised the possibility in budget talks with Republicans of increasing the qualifying age for Medicare from 65 to 67. Really? In a country where there are scandalous holes in the safety net, the one reliable sector has been Medicare. And age 65 and up is the only age bracket where Americans do as well as Europeans in health statistics. President Obama, say it ain't so!

Comment

I support increasing the qualifying age for people born after a certain date. I am sure that is what was on the table, it was not increasing the qualifying age for everyone.

America still a wake up to the new reality. The bills are coming due so either turn off the lights or reach in your pockets.

Comment

Working...
                          X